Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Patrick's Fly Shop Experience

Tags
fly fly shop
38K views 354 replies 108 participants last post by  xpman 
#1 ·
Mods- feel free to move to a better location as I couldn't find a vendor/ sponsor forum nor thread. I wanted to share my experience here to inform others and provide feedback to the shops.

I am very new to the sport. I have been to two local shops: Emerald Water Anglers and Patrick's Fly shop. The staff at Emerald were very attentive, very friendly and informative. The shop is very clean and well organized. On the other hand, I had a terrible experience at Patrick's yesterday. The shop is very disorganized cluttered. The flies aren't even view-able due to clutter on top of the cases. I walked in to pick up a couple of leader packs. I waited ten minutes for the gentleman to finish telling a fishing story to someone else in the shop. I was clearly standing in his view and made it obvious had a question. I know story telling is part of this space, but shouldn't be at the expense of customer service. When he finally helped me, he can condescending and judgmental when he realized I didn't really know what I needed. I went in looking for rio powerflex 2 and 3x leaders. They had the 2x, but for the 3 he recommended the 10lb salmon leader because "once you get out of troutie troutie land, it goes by pounds." It was all in the tone, very condescending. That leader might be great, but that's not the point. They guy needs an attitude adjustment. He made me feel dumb and small. I won't be going back. Based on his stories and the gear they sell, it seems like they specialize in saltwater. Maybe if you only fish saltwater, are an expert and don't mind clutter and non visible merch, you may have a better experience.

Hopefully this thread doesn't start a flame war. I feel it's important to provide feedback to vendors and share our experiences with vendors openly.

See less See more
#212 ·
15 pages = fishing must suck. Very entertaining thread. My own opinion is that I like the personalities of guys like Mike (Kinney) , Jimmy, and Les Johnson that I've run into in various Seattle area shops over the years.

These guys are typically helpful to newbies unless they come in with an attitude. They can also be a bit intolerant if you're a poser. They're definitely not the typical passive aggressive asskisser that you'll encounter in a lot of Seattle retail shops.

If they're busy telling a fishing story when you arrive, try kicking back and listening. You might learn something. Remember, you're not in McDonalds.

I shopped at Patricks until the early 2000s - bought my first RPL 'seconds' out of their bin for my first attempts at building fly rods back in the 80s.

Funny thing is that, at the time, Jimmy was a fellow student at the UW that I used to run into around campus. Never saw him around that shop until years later.

Enough nostalgia - back to the main topic (= where will DanielOcean sleep tonight).

#213 ·
Boy , am I glad I own an auto repair shop rather than a fly shop. 15 pages of critique and opinions of what should be expected, basically.When I go in a fly shop, I don't expect a red carpet rolled out. I get what I need, if they have it at a reasonable price, and leave. If not, I leave empty handed. I don't need to hang out to be cool or hip. I'd rather be on the water . I have seen my local shop owner be so rude to people, I don't know how he has customers.

#215 ·
15 pages, sure, but aside from some fringe cases on both ends of the spectrum, I think 85% of the people here would be pleased with the same level of service they'd get at a supermarket, fast food chain, sit-down restaurant, or any other retail space: an offer of assistance, no unreasonable wait to be rung up, and a polite answer to any questions. That's not red carpet, that's really just basic western human decency.

I'm with you in that while I enjoy going to fly shops, I don't really enjoy staying there for a long time if there's fishing to be done. Other than the shop I mentioned earlier, I've only ever had one *really* bad fly shop experience. I was browsing and while there wasn't anything I really, really needed, I spotted a few furled leaders and ex. fast sinking poly leaders, and since I use both pretty regularly in my small water fishing, I decided to buy them. Came up to the counter, and the guy just started ripping into my selection of leaders. Not asking what I was using them for or making helpful suggestions, just stuff like "Oh, these aren't what you want..." and "We see a lot of beginners that don't know what they're doing buying these" and "These things are worse than a regular leader in every way".

All the while, he hasn't rang up more than one of my items, he's just picking them up and showing them to the other guy that was in the shop, apparently a regular. Also, he wasn't even talking to ME about them, just acting like I wasn't there and he was basically making fun of my order. It really pissed me off, so I just let him go, and after he rang up about $50 in leaders and tippet, I told him, "You convinced me. I don't want any of this stuff." and walked out the door.

Later on I asked a friend of mine that lives in the area about it and he confirmed that while other guys there are great, that one guy is always kind of a dick, and said it's almost like he thinks that's what good customer service is...that everyone wants to be ridiculed. He suggested I give them another chance the next time I was around, but so far, I haven't been back to that area, and even if I did, I'd likely not go back, except maybe to see if someone different was in, and at that point, just to let them know about my previous experience.

Having worked sales/service in my past, I have a lot of sympathy and patience for service industry workers, especially when things go wrong...but I also know what comes with the territory, and I do expect a minimum level of professionalism.

#222 ·
Give me a fly shop where the owner/employee nods to acknowledge your entrance all the while tying flies. Their dog is the welcoming committee. Your dog is welcome to be there too. Take some time to watch the tyer and inquire about it. Information will flow... You will probably notice the old codger is somewhat(?) gruff. Why? Because he is pissed he is not out fishing...

Then you notice it is not well lit, somewhat+ dusty, seems disorganized, yet has what works for the area. Some of the flies and materials are from locals too and are fairly priced. Not much in the way for fashionistas either. A few recent pictures on the wall near the updated chalkboard adds to the ambiance.

Stock up on a few things - even if you do not need them, give the dog a good scratch, and go fishing...

After your day out fishing stop by and let them know how it went, what worked and what did not, etc. Some additional information will flow to be used the next day - after all they want you to have a great time. Then sit on one of chairs on the front porch where they encourage a cigar to be smoked along with a beer available from a refrigerator and look forward to even better times fishing.

This type of fly shop has its priorities correct - all about fishing and enjoying life. TGTBT? No. They are few and far between but they do exist and will always get my business...

#228 ·
I have no opinion on Patrick's as I have never been there (plan on making a trip now), but reading through these made me think of some of my fly shop experiences.

I stopped in a shop (site sponsor) looking for a line. Me to shop guy "I need a 12wt line for Xmas Island". Shop guy "you really should take a practice trip. you want to make sure you can cast correctly". He proceeded to try and sell me on a trip to Mexico, got my email under the guise of newsletter and then sent me a email asking if I had considered booking the trip. No thanks and lose my email.

The other was with Doug at Rock Creek Merc. He wasn't nearly as grumpy as most people had told me, but when I asked what he thought of my fly selection he asked if I liked catching fish. I said I did. He handed me 4 flies and I caught so many fish I got bored of catching and tied on a huge ass streamer. Good times for sure.

Shit happens.

#234 · (Edited)
Younger people, including newbies, are not as tied to a brick 'n mortar shop as some (many?) of us older, more experienced fisherman who understand the importance of small businesses and associated loyalty as well as the local knowledge they have about fishing. The internet is developing a different pattern of learning/buying e.g. YouTube, online articles, electronic maps, blogs, storefronts, etc. that only time will tell if it actually works. Hopefully, there can be an integration of the old way and the current way before all the brick 'n mortar small businesses, and the personnel working in them, go by the wayside (which seems to be the trend unfortunately).

Newer, younger people in the sport have a lot more spendable income. IMHO it has always been that way even though it maybe not necessarily the best decision in the long term - but who cares, retirement is a long way off. But as a number of those younger fisherman get near retirement, like many of us, spending will pick up to support the rest of our years. We make 'adjustments' to what, where, how, when, we fish. I know I have...

I thought I had enough tackle and flies to last a lifetime which I probably do. But when a rod breaks, the vise wears out, the waders leak, or I run out of materials - especially hooks - we do continue to buy. With the improved floating platforms to fish from, there are a lot more choices that we never had before to replace our leaking, multi-patched u-tube that has seen its better days. In addition, retired people get out fishing more and go through more of everything.

So shops like Patricks, the Merc, PFF, PFSC, Red's, to name a few, are important to allow us to see, feel, touch, try out potential new purchases, and educate us in the market for new items on the shopping list as well as carry on the tradition of being able to share stories and camaraderie face to face rather than with someone that is anonymous and behind the keyboard. In some cases we may have to 'put up with more', but it is well worth it IMHO because without those characters and their knowledge of the sport it will become boring as well as a lot of lost knowledge...

#237 ·
So when a customer who nothings almost nothing about cars walks into your shop to inquire about a repair or even voice a problem with their car, you treat them like an idiot and reinforce the fact that they don't know anything about cars?[/
. No. I explain the problem, cost to fix, fix it , and move on to the next. But I get what your saying. Anyone in a small business should know, courtesy is what brings people through the door.

#241 ·
Give me a fly shop where the owner/employee nods to acknowledge your entrance all the while tying flies. Their dog is the welcoming committee. Your dog is welcome to be there too. Take some time to watch the tyer and inquire about it. Information will flow... You will probably notice the old codger is somewhat(?) gruff. Why? Because he is pissed he is not out fishing...

Then you notice it is not well lit, somewhat+ dusty, seems disorganized, yet has what works for the area. Some of the flies and materials are from locals too and are fairly priced. Not much in the way for fashionistas either. A few recent pictures on the wall near the updated chalkboard adds to the ambiance.

Stock up on a few things - even if you do not need them, give the dog a good scratch, and go fishing...

After your day out fishing stop by and let them know how it went, what worked and what did not, etc. Some additional information will flow to be used the next day - after all they want you to have a great time. Then sit on one of chairs on the front porch where they encourage a cigar to be smoked along with a beer available from a refrigerator and look forward to even better times fishing.

This type of fly shop has its priorities correct - all about fishing and enjoying life. TGTBT? No. They are few and far between but they do exist and will always get my business...
I know this place. Front porch, cigar, coldsmoke. Gotta pick up visitors at the airport at 4 on Tuesday, may as well go early and play the spruce moth game for awhile and make a day of it.

#242 ·
Avid Angler and Pacific Fly Fishers get all my local business.
When down south I hit Puget Sound Fly Co.
Out further is Waters West.
All four shops have solid crews and excellent customer service based on my experience.
SF
Stonefish speaks big medicine with these choices...all well stocked shops with knowledgeable people that are usually eager to help.

#243 ·
Patrick's was the only fly shop of note when I first began tying flies, taking lessons from Washington Fly Fishing club members who filled in because Roy Patrick had just died. Consequently, I visited Patrick's Fly Shop almost weekly in the 1970s, always adding to my inventory of fly tying materials, bit by bit. And each trip always took about two hours, not because Faye Patrick (Roy's widow) or Tom Darling was so talkative, but because the other customers in the store were. Mixed with the ongoing and endless supply of BS was a lot of information useful to a young man interested in learning more about fly fishing.

Fast forward to just a few years ago. I was in the Eastlake neighborhood and dropped in to Patrick's. Jimmy was there. He acknowledged my presence, and I mentioned that I hadn't been in the shop since I last lived in Seattle. I wasn't looking for anything and just wanted to check out the shop. I mentioned that it had changed a lot - most of what used to be a back room or rooms was now part of the main shop. And the inventory had expanded beyond just fly tying materials to a complete shop. Jimmy said to just ask if I had any questions. I looked around, taking it all in. I don't remember if I bought anything or not, but thanked Jimmy when I left and said I enjoyed seeing what the shop had become. I might stop in again if I find myself in that area.

Sg

G
#244 ·
Their dog is the welcoming committee. Your dog is welcome to be there too.
I am so sick of this trend. I don't really have anything against dogs, but keep them on a leash and at your house. I've been bitten by a dog that, like every dog according to the owner), 'never bites anyone.'

I know someone who has been injured when they tried to protect their dog (leashed) from a larger dog. The owner said that neeeeever happened before.

I almost had my throat torn out by a pit in the back of a truck while walking through a parking lot. Had it's leash not caught on something, I would have been a bleeding mess. I heard his jaws snap and felt his hot breath on my face. This dog never barked or gave any indication it was there.

Finally, I'm allergic to dogs. It isn't life threatening for me, but some people have much more severe reactions.

Keep your dogs at home or outside where they belong.

#245 ·
I am so sick of this trend. I don't really have anything against dogs
...and then the rest of your post is explaining everything you actually *do*, in fact, have against dogs.

In public places like parks, absolutely, every animal should be leashed and under immediate control of the owner.

In a shop, if you don't like dogs, and the shop has one, don't go to that shop. End of story.

Look, if dogs hated me as much as they seem to hate you for whatever reason, I'd want to avoid them too, especially if I were allergic...but at that point, I wouldn't say, "I don't have anything against dogs", I'd say, "I don't like dogs".

Asking people in a park to leash their pets is one thing, but to say that everyone else should keep their pets at home to suit you just reeks of entitlement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.