patrick's fly shop has had it's last chance

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by lylelovett666, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Shoot... I may have to mosey down to Patricks and see what's up. Last time I went there Roy still owned it and had Tom Darling behind the counter. I didn't care for the parking and probably will even less now.

2. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Patrick's is the ONLY fly shop I have EVER walked into and been treated poorly.

3. Runejl

Runejl Josh

I have been in there a couple times and will also never return.

The last time I went in to Patricks, his Open sign was on and and he was in the store door unlocked. I entered and he was there behind the counter in his unusual Metro attire. I said hi, and began browsing picking up items that I cant get in Bham. When I came to the counter to make my purchase he made a point of telling me that they were actually closed and that it was a great inconvenience to sell me the 75 dollars of stuff.

I am slow to react and paid for my goods, but by the time I made it to the door I had realised the rudeness that I had been treated with and wished that I hadnt given him any buisness.

He might be a good guy to some people, and he may be a good caster, but he isnt freindly and he isnt deserving of my hard earned dollars.

I wouldnt shop there.

4. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Too bad to, isn't Patrick's the first fly shop in Seattle, or is it the oldest?

5. Trent

Trent Ugly member

I've never been to this Patrick's shop and I probably never will, this is due to the fact that I live in Marysville and I'm assuming this shop is in the Seattle area. Back on the topic of customer service; BOO HOO, go cry a bloody river. I'm going to have to agree with what coach said about the lack of annoying ass kissing and endless conversation when all you want is to get in and get out. If the guy has what you need and has knowledge to share when asked, why bitch, is it because he he doesn't make you feel like a special little princess?

NFR, but is exactly the same thing. There is this gun shop up north, Kesslerings Gun Shop, the owner and the clerks are some of the rudest, short speaking assholes you will encounter at any store (this I gaurentee), but if you ask a question they will help, sometimes they walk off if they are bored with you (happened to me), they usually send one of the young guys to help you instead. They are very knowledgeble and willing to help though. Also, their gunsmith does really outstanding work. I buy most of my firearm stuff from them, and firearm I need fixed goes to them (even if there is someplace cheaper).

I guess what my point is; is who bloody well cares if you don't feel like a princess when you shop. Did you get what you needed? Was your questions answered? If yes, then you got good service, maybe not conversation, but you didn't go there for conversation did you?

If you don't like the store don't shop there, simple as that.:beathead:

Trent

6. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

I want to echo what coach and les johnson have said.........jimmy may not be pc all of the time but he is a treat to spend time around and the shop is a landmark. I've taken classes there had rods built and always go back when i'm in town.

7. Bob Balder

Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

I too remember being in patrick's with Roy and having Tom darling behind the counter, never was treated poorly. Place sorta fell off some after Roy died, Mrs. Patrick had her hands full, I was, however, always treated well.
    Once the place changed hands, that was it for me, I didn't appreciate the owner much at all.
    I don't care how long the place has been there, who used to hang out there or how fine of a caster the owner is. Being treated like you are bothering someone when you are lining his pockets makes no sense.
    I have no intention of "getting to know" the owner of an establishment to be treated like a human being I expect to be treated that way just because I am patronising his establishment.
    Having said all of that, I have spent countless hours hanging over the counter talking to Tom darling, Jeff Barker, Buzz Fiorini and countless others in the old Avid Angler always getting great service, good information and a warm smile from the bunch of them.
    I now spend my fishing dollars at The Avid Angler, Nathan and the crew are great people, always willing to help and share their knowledge.
    Just because some guy can cast and went to Florida to reperesnt the state gives me no reason to want to take time to "Get to know him" or put up with his attitude just to spend money in his shop.
    In closing, why would Chris shut down thei thread just because the guy is a sponser?
    Jeezuz...........it is what it is.

8. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

I disagree. Looking at a fly shop from a business perspective much of the inventory is regulated by standard pricing(i.e. Sage, Winston, Simms, Scott, Abel ect.) and/or has margins too small to be competitive based on price. So how can they gain greater local market share? Customer service, customer service, customer service!!!!

No one expects great customer service when they shop at Wal-Mart because they know that they will likely get the cheapest price with the goods that they purchase. Certainly, customers don't have the expectation of walking into a fly shop and being greeted by a fine looking masseuse looking to massage their back's and serve them complimentary champagne, but encouraging the customer's to linger around more by talking to them, increases sales.

I have yet to visit Avid Angler, but PSFC, Orvis, K'mann's & Creekside have been great to me, hence why when I shop there I am not likely to leave the store in under an hour.:D

In an era where I can shop with the convenience of my computer, what keep's my loyalty is the great customer service I have received at the aforementioned shops.

9. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I don't think people want to be treated like royalty.I do think however when I decide to purchase goods or services from someone there should be at least a modicum of gratitude and a measure of courtesy for considering a purchase in their store.It's called customer service.Instead every time I've been to Patrick's and the owner is there he has treated me like I was screwing up his day by being there.The rest of the staff have always been courteous and pleasant to deal with.That's nice that jimmy can cast really far.Maybe now that he has casting down he can work on improving his disposition.

10. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Like I said, I've never been in this shop and given that I live 90 miles away, I probably won't ever go there.

I put up with weirdness and crankiness and shitiness from my friends, because they give me their friendship back. But I sure as hell won't put up with crap from anyone who makes me "put in time" just so I can give him my hard earned money and have him not be a jerk about it. Screw that noise. My life is way too short to deal with any of that.

If you are going to pull that kind of thing, you had better be the ONLY game in town. And these days, there isn't anywhere that Fed Ex doesn't reach.

11. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Maybe you should open your own shop Trent.

12. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Obiwan:
    I understand what you are saying, but there really was no need for this bitchfest to be posted up here. That was sorta a point also.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Myself, I could really care less if the clerks or the owner don't talk and smile at me. The only thing I care about is that they have what I want/need. See, I hate shopping period, even if it is for something I like (fishing stuff for example), less time in store=better time for me.

13. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

I have to wonder if any of you have ever told Jimmy any of this yourselves? Myself if someone was rude to me as I was spending money, I would tell them to get fucked and that I am taking my business elsewhere. Then it's over with. He knows how I feel, and he knows why I put my wallet back in my pants. You guys sure puff out the chest feathers online. Just curious.... So if i let you hang around all day and act like you are my best buddy you'll give me money? Hell uncle Bob you can come hang out in my living room any time you want. Once you pass 2000 bucks, I'll yell out "Oh boy, hide the women and children when you walk in the door" so you can blush and feel like part of our family! I'll even remember your name when you walk in and keep promising you that "we've got to go fishiing soon!" As soon as you pass the 10,000 dollar mark every now and then I'll look around, make sure the coast is clear and whisper, "Don't tell ANYBODY this BOB, but some fish were hit in the Sky up around High Bridge yesterday...but I didn't tell you that" or better yet "Ed Ward's favorite piece of water is..... or the time tested "This is the fly Lemire is REALLY using on the Skagit this year" and if you really kick out the bucks you'll get a shot at last years rod models at "Guide prices" ("Hell I'm actually losing money on this one BOB, but you're not just a customer, you're a FRIEND). Hit the 30,000 dollar mark or help me go to the Bahamas twice and I'll even tell the wife you aren't here and let you sip single malt in a slurpy cup I supply. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

14. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

Obiwan,
    If you find that fly shop with massages and champagne please pm me it's location.

15. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Maybe I should. I could call it Trent's Fly Shop: We have all the F%@&*^% shit you need

The Front sign could also read like this:
    Owner is a prick
    No talking in the store
    No annoying questions (about everyones "secret" spots)
    It's your choice to shop here, if I hurt your feelings; go cry about it on-line

That would be a great idea, but I ain't got the money to start a small shop:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.