patrick's fly shop has had it's last chance

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by lylelovett666, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlyMeARiver

FlyMeARiver Da Mailman! Making sure you get yours!

Next time wear clothes and they might invite you back!!

2. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I don't think I'm ranting.My first post aired my gripe and the rest of my posts have been in response to what others have posted. Obviously people have strong opinions on the matter.The thread took off.If no one cared the thread would have died and I would have been more than happy to have simply stated my opinion.

3. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

i'm not going to delve into any arguments about the importance of customer service and all that peripheral nonsense. others have beat me to that...

i will vouch for jimmy's character. when i was a young fly tier with ZERO cash, he gave me a price break on certain items, and even bought some of my hand tied flies for the shop at a price that i now know to be ridiculous just to help me, as a then youngster, get into the sport. i can't imagine any of the other great shops in seattle (creekside, kmanns, avid angler, which all have nice guys working at them and fantastic service) doing something like that to encourage a rookie behind the vice.

say what you will about his disposition, sometimes he's a bit surly, but i felt the need to vouch for jimmy's intent and character. besides, if you get him started on a topic he's actually interested in, he is a wealth of knowledge. the plus side and down side to jimmy is that i gather he's got enough cash that his fly shop is a hobby, not a business. he doesn't sell people shit they don't need, and doesn't put on a slick exterior just to move product. he keeps it real, and you can take that for whatever it's worth. you may not find exactly what you want, and if you want service with a smile, you can f off, but genuine knowledge and keeping it real is something you wont find just anywhere. my meager two cents...

4. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

...Rustically edgy...

Are you thinking Carl in "Sling Blade" or more along the lines of Boo Radley...? :hmmm:

Rustically edgy - funny stuff! :thumb:

5. nickguy

nickguy New Member

Went into Patrick's as a new fly fisherman. Great store and part of the Seattle experience.

Jimmy does not think customer service involves blowing smoke, or at least not in the vicinity of one's posterior. He has not lied to me. He is an expert and will give you excellent information along with your $30 fly purchase as will his staff.

If you want consulting from my company on IP networking it will cost $200/hr and if you need hand holding maybe more.

Not to say that there are not excellent, pleasant people in other shops. Is
    customer service about bland servility or relationships? The latter requires a bit of effort on both sides of the equation.

6. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

You're right. I think you've gone past rant into whine:thumb:

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I'll do it for half that but if they get butt hurt because I am a bit on the rough side it will cost about the same or more.

8. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong OldRodsHaveMoreFun

Chris is absolutely right. If you're going to characterize a man's business on the internet,good or bad, you really ought to be willing to sign your name onto it. Greg

9. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Amen..............

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I feel if all they are going to do is bash a guys business on here they ought to lock this thread up.

I had a bad experence at a fly shop here in Montana but I'm not going to knock the shop because I've spent many bucks in the shop before this came up. Even shops hire new people but then again nobody knows who is going to tell somebody to go to hell.

Jim

11. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

ouch, i have never been there but that sounds harsh. but it might not be, i will never try to find out.

12. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

iagree

If it was my business, I might consider some sort of libel lawsuit..... you ought to think before you speak even tho you might be right, some things shouldn't be spoken.

13. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

Page 7. This is never going to get read, but what the hell.

I got no opinion on Patrick's. Probably been 15 years since I've been in there. Bought a rod there. The guy who helped me treated me fine, let me cast 3 rods and recommended that I buy the cheapest of the 3 because he thought it fit my stroke best. I have no idea who that guy was. I don't get to Seattle much any more. That's why I haven't been back.

But unless you're going into a shop to get the 'Soup Nazi' experience, there's got to be a modicum of customer service. It doesn't have to be emotional hand holding. And you don't have to get your feelings hurt to come away with a bad taste. I've always felt that if a shop has what I came to buy, the guy at the counter can make correct change, and they can keep the dog from licking my kid, that's plenty. No need to spend 2 hours shooting the shit with me. It's not why they're there, it's not why I'm there.

But if I had had the same experience as the guy with the scissors, I'd take my business elsewhere too. Don't know if I'd write about it on the interenet, but I'd vote with my feet. Simple scenario. Guy goes in looking for a particular item, doesn't see it so he askes about it. Minimum customer service would include a brief apology. "Sorry guy, I think that's all we got. But just a second. Let me look in the back. Hey, guess what I found..."

Maybe Jimmy has all the customers he needs already. If so, he's the only guy in retail who does. And every businessman should know that it's a lot harder to get new customers in your shop than it is to keep existing customers. So if you're pissing off even a small percentage of the folks who already walked through your door, you'd better be doing this as a hobby rather than as a business that puts food on the table.

14. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Home Page:
    7 pages of whining....... what's the matter? does your vajayjay really hurt that bad?

did jimmy hurt your feelings? while my experience was lame, it wasn't a slap in the face or some grave injustice.
    my biggest reason today for going to certain fly shops has more to do with the fact i live in Issaquah than any other reason.

our industry is full of odd, quirkly characters who think a good time is standing nutsack deep in the river while it's snowing outside.
    all of us are weirdos if you think about it. i bet you some guys have already gone into the shop and said "hey jimmy thats the deal"
    did you read that thread of wff.com? you might want to be a bit nicer next time buddy. maybe not.
    its not our job or right to tell people what to do or not to do. All you can do is control how you react/respond.

You can state the facts of your experience and not turn this into some personal vendetta.
    lyle, while i understand your situation, your are now so obviously over-involved with this thread.
    you made your point, but now its a reacting to reactions and getting a bit out of hand by getting too personal.
    it's obvious you don't know jimmy. i dont know jimmy. so let's just leave it at i had a bad experience and call it good.
    i bet you check this thread every 5 minutes and are now addicted to seeing who says what next.

here is an idea: go down to creekside or kaufmans, blow a hundred, then post a pic of your reciept. show us you've moved on. you'll feel better

Chris is right, we're a small community and eventually, we all bump into each other on the river or at the shop. it would be nice to know who you really are
    and that you're sincere. hey, i understand your experience but it's how you deal with it from this point on that speaks louder about you then what jimmy did or didn't do.

it would suck for all of us if the shop folded, even if we don't go there ourselves.
    the fly community needs to look out for each other.

the original posts were ok, as they were sincere and simple.
    but now this is just turning into a soap opera, the days of our bored-ass not out fishing lives........

FYI - It is actually against "the rules" to "attack someone personally", that would especially include a site sponsor
    don't get yourself banned over something so stupid. some of you need to lay off the name calling and character asassination
    this is thread in my opinion is now very disrespectful/self depreciating to wff.com as we should show some respect to our sponsors who make this site possible.

QUOTE: "When at odds, debating the idea is perfectly appropriate but attacking the member is not"
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=26321

maybe some of us don't have the big brass balls to tell someone off to their face like coach does, but either way....to each his own.....

every possible point has been made, yes there does seem to be a pattern, and the dots can be connected.
    this has turned into some debate and we all know what each of us thinks.

it shows some credit to the fact that some guys who we all respect have gone to bat for jimmy, which gives him some credibility IMHO.
    it doesn't make it ok, but just gives some understanding and background some of us are lacking. its easy to get offended and take things the wrong way.
    unless Jimmy wants to chime in, there is nothing left for any of us ad to this thread.

i think it's time to put this dead dog of a thread out of its misery.
    time to move on and go fishing guys!

JD

15. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

i have never been to this shop but after reading this thread all the way through this is the post that speaks to me. I plan to stop by patricks if im in the area and see what its all about myself someday. i guess i wont expect coffee and conversation. Thats OK there are other shops out there that are great for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.