Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Peace of Mind While Fishing????

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  ribka 
G
#1 ·
Anyone out there heard through the grapevine about vehicle break-in's around Crab Creek specifically, or anywhere else (lakes or rivers)??? I got my rig broken into at Lenice many years ago and it discouraged me from going back since... Wanted to ask since the opener is coming up and I've had an itch to go back again.

#2 ·
FLYRODR:

Thieves are still there and will always be there (among other areas) as long as are goverment and society continues to reward criminals and punish those who would protect themselves (the victims) from bottom dwellers. We are required to accept them for who they are, so I say go there fish so that you can provide some something for a thief to do.

#3 ·
What a positive reply. Flyrodr, it can happen over there. try to go on days that you know otheres will be there as that way you have agood chance of having someone in the parking area also. Of course if someone wants to they will break in. It' not just there it's anywhere. Go over and enjoy yourself and fish.

G
#5 ·
Trent, I'm not too clear on why you think criminals are part of some government reward program... The reality is that small segment of society is also as sure as death, taxes, and slow fishing days. Given what I've spent 31 years doing (and loving), it's very difficult for me to place my personal property in such a vulnerable position. If you've ever had a vehicle broken into, you know how frustrating it is and what a pain in the ass it is to get corrected. I think my best alternative will be to find someone else to drive... someone who owns a P-O-S that can be left unlocked.

#7 ·
Stupid Tweakers will smash a window before they even bother to check to see if the door is unlocked. Leave them rolled down. It helps if your fishing rig is a P.O.S.

#9 ·
Thats why I sold my $30K Tundra and drive a POS but reliable 20 year old Toyota truck that doesn't attract much attention, but its every bit as reliable as the big rig, just not as comfy or roomy. I don't keep anything valuable in there when I fish. The last thing I want is to 'worry' about anything while Im focused on fishing. I never worry, I just focus on fishing. I still have mixed feelings about getting a new Tacoma double cab... still can't see the reason to do it other than more power and modern conveniences. I'd be worried about denting, scratching, and tweaking.

#10 ·
I think pretty much you just have to go and do what you like to do and hope for the best, I'm not going to stop doing things that I love just because of a few assholes besides it can happen anywhere at any time so you might as well enjoy life, people get broken into even parked in their own driveways so what are you going to do sit at home hiding, just don't leave anything in your car you can't afford to lose.
tony

#13 ·
Insurance on your rig won't cover your personal property. That is covered under your insurance on your home. I know as my POS was broken into in Washington State. They took everything that would fit into a back pack. they left the rods. But the car radio and all my reels and fly boxes were taken. Plus my Cell Phone, camera.

I put in a few claims but not everything was covered by insurance. If you have something that was a gift and was taken it isn't covered. So when a claim is put in, don't list anything as a gift as it won't be replaced. Also fly have no money value.

I could go on and on, but you should all get the picture. It's no fun getting your POS broken into because you thought the your POS wouldn't.

#14 ·
Good point, I have never been broken into so my reference was generally more about "where" I go. For example, I have taken many backroads where branches rub against the side of my car due to narrow road, getting in and out of the rig with wet gear, going through mud or down the side of a hill. I just never want to have a rig that is too nice or pretty that I will worry about it getting dirty or scratched.

#16 ·
Yeah. I reconized that I was a little to harsh on thieves with my original reply. I managed to catch two of the scumlords in the act of braking into mine and my nieghbors car the night before I wrote that, so I was still a little hot (I made the mistake of calling the cops instead of just shooting the assholes, cops = useless, mistake learned).

Basically it dosn't matter where you go, you still run the risk of getting broken into. Your best bet would be to take the advice the others who posted and make a thiefs job easy, less damage to your stuff that way.

#18 ·
"fly fishing the present?" WTF does that mean? Some kind of zen avoidance of your responsibilities as a man?

Will that attitude stop some tweeker or gang banger from breaking the passenger side window of your Prius, Subaru or flex fuel vehicle?
After you busted your azz all week to afford the vehicle and work enough to gain some rec time to fish?

A bit confused regarding that reply.
(IMO Gary has the right solution)

Until people that use parking lots in recreational areas, such as hiking fishing and hunting. become more proactive regarding vehicles break-ins, these type of incidences will become the norm.

You have to be more proactive when it comes to these crimes. I cannot begin to tell you the number of times, out of curiousity, have sat in parking areas of hunting, hiking, fishing and rec meccas when I have seen tweekers and gang bangers patrolling the parking lot looking for a likely car to break in. I just go up to them and ask what they are doing there and say that I just took down their license plate.

All it takes is for a vigilant citizen to go up to them, it is ok to do this in your their vehicle, and ask what they are doing. If they do not have a good answer like they are trying to put there Sage 4 wt together, say you are calling WSP or County Sheriff. Very easy to do. They always flee

Here is a clue zen masters: If an old beat up vehicle carrying more than one male pulls into the parking area and has no rec gear good clue he or they are there to rip you off. Go up to them and say took their photo and called the Po Po or La Migra ) that is as good as deterrent and anything.

They do not like to be noticed!
just my humble opinion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.