Pattern Peacock & Black

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Very nice! That's a beauty! It reminds me that I need to tie some up very similar to that for my local lakes, which get hatches of black gnats. I think I only have a couple similar ones left in my box.
I've found that a BH soft hackle like that will sink slowly, and stay in the zone with a slow hand-twist retrieve on regular mono tippet/leader and a floating line.

hydrological

beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto
i have an almost identical pattern (minus the bead, different hook)
that i swing for summer steelhead. basically my lazy mans bastardized steelhead coachman. probably someone out there using it for smallies
too :eek:

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Leisenring's Black Gnat looks similar, though without the BH. I recently read an article about it on a blog called "Soft-Hackle Journal."

Patagonguy

Thanks guys! Yes, after fishing many years with the fantastic soft hackles in Patagonia (specially the Partridge Series) y finally added BH's to the flies. As McNasty said, to add a BH when you love to cast floating lines, is the best. See that the bead head is small, because (as we know) a soft hackle needs to work almost below the surface or at least on the first 2-3ft below. This black feather (hen) and the peacock-cooper wire combination is deadly in my area, specially when I cast in still waters close to the rushes and rocks. In that cases I wait 10-20seconds (depending on the depth) before the retrieve, and sometimes trout catch it during the sinking. I prefer to use fluorocarbon as tippet; a long section. Good fishing!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I have become a fan of the BH soft-hackle, too. I use them in lakes, but also for coastal cutthroat when I'm fishing with a floating line, and sometimes with a clear sinktip to get down deeper into the pools.
I have some small silver beads that I am going to use in my attempt to copy your fly in the pic you posted.

GAT

Dumbfounded
I hate the birds... I'm glad they're are useful for something.

Medium colored olive soft hackles are quite effective in the stillwaters I fish. I decided to tie some of the patterns with a medium olive body. No clue if they'll work but it's worth a try.

IMG_1754.jpg