Perry's poke, where to place the anchor?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by yuhina, Nov 9, 2007.

1. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Rob,

Big flies, heavy tips. I think that would be tough for some to shoot off a single spey.

As for the recovery cast... I am still not sold completely. Sure I use it for a recovery cast during a botched double spey, but, it can also be used as a straight up normal cast for and upstream shoulder, upstream wind. Now this cast can only be used with Skagit Heads.

The problem with a snap T: with big ass flies and heavy tips the effort it takes to sling that fly over the top of the rod, is much more than a perry. Somtimes after a full day you can "hit" or "knick" the tip of your rod with your fly...I know anyone who has ever fished a Snap T has done this...somtimes resulting in a snapped tip..and if it doesn't snap your tip, there is now a weak point on the tip of your rod from this contact.

Didn't Larry come up with a cast kind of like the snap T but reversed... I have never seen it but I think I have heard about it.

2. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:

3. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

"Horse-shoe shape?" (Tongue in cheek here) Nooooo, Nooooo, noooooo. That will set you up for a 'Blood L.' Line/cast has to be straight over the top of line in the water. Parallel line(s) if you will; 'A' right over the top of 'B.' Anchor should be a rod lenght (+/-) out in front (or above) you; remember the '180 degree rule' of any cast." -fredaevens

Hey fred,

I guess, i'm not a very good spey casting teacher over the internet. :) Or not very good at explaining it. There is no bloody L in my perry poke, unless i get lazy... :)

--------

To all,

Wherever you may stand about legitimacy of the perry poke as a cast, all I know is that it is incredibly powerfull, and I thoroughly enjoy it whatever it may be. I enjoy many of the spey casts for that matter, and that is what makes it so great. You've got your perry poke guys, your snap t guys, your circle c guys, your double spey guys, your single spey guys and those guys that mix it all together!! I love it. For one though, there is definately a wrong and a right way to do the perry poke to maximize the power in the cast. A properly set anchor, and executed stroke can produce tremendous results, especially if it is intended, and not just used as a recovery cast.

Rob

4. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

the problem is not with the casts it's that people are needlessly using tips and flies that are 1 too heavy for the rod and 2 heavier than is needed for steelhead fishing

if you cannot effectively fish a piece of water with a 15 ft type 9 10 wt tip ( 150 grains) and a fly with bead chain eyes or a conehead then it's simply not good fly water..

people are using gear that is heavier than they need and it causes problems with their casting and causes them to break their rods .

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Sorry, duplicate post.

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member