Pflueger Medalist; What to look for...

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by chrome/22, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I have quite a few medalists. In fact, all my old Fenwick Glass rods have medalists on them. All mine are older made in the US models.

And you guys use them for spey lines?????? Hmmmmmm. Must be the newer heads I'm assuming. I know most of the traditional lines WON'T fit on them with any backing. I know I tried loading up my old 1498 and there wasn't enough room. But those were older lines too.

2. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Jerry,
    I use a 1495 1/2 on a 7 switch rod and I use a 1498 on my spey rod. The 1498 has a large capacity. I've had the reels since the 60's. They have been well taken care of and fixed up a bit with One P Foot parts.
    Jack

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Jack I only fished salmon and steelhead as a kid. So have quite a few of them in the 1498 range I bought well used in the late 70s and early 80s. WhenI started throwing a spey again in the early 90s I could not get a line with any backing on the 1498. Moved up to the big saltwater reels to have some room. But those were real two handed lines back then.

4. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

I still have several from my dad and Gramps, including in-laws. Some of which were mostly broken but I have purchased upgraded parts from: https://www.onepfoot.com and I have successfully refurnished to very useful very old ones.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  5. Preston

Preston Active Member

I recently acquired this classic 1495 Medalist. The spool had already been completely stripped of its paint and there was some evidence of the paint on the frame having been shoddily touched up. Just to fully prepare it for whatever I finally decide to do with it, I carefully stripped the rest of the finish with acetone and Q-tips. I was rather surprised at how attractive it looked in the nude.

IMG_1013.JPG IMG_1014.JPG

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I have a Medalist 1498 that Harry Lemire gave me, and he had stripped the paint from the outside if the frame. It does look pretty nice that way. Someday I'll have to take it the rest of the way and made it totally nude. Looks nice Preston!

Sg

7. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

That does look cool Preston.
    A few years ago when I got interested and acquired some 6 & 7wt Fenwicks, I wanted a matching reel. So without a ton of research I found & bought an Akron 1495 70's vintage Medalist. As if on cue, a week later my father (cleaning out his shop) found and gave me a matching one. Neither are collectors items but they are as solid as new and I've put the onepfoot clutch in each of them for left hand wind. I also picked up a 1494 but haven't really assigned it to any rod yet. May not.
    Fenwicks and Pfluegers were made for each other.

8. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Pfenwicks and Pfluegers is what you mean.....right David? I started 48 years ago with a 1494, now I have several with my favorite being a 1494 from the 30's that's a click & pawl reel. Fish it on bamboo! See you whenever the gathering is.

David Loy likes this.
  9. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I have a 1496 1/2 (same as a 1498) on my 11 1/2 ft 6/7. I have also used a 1498 on a 14 foot spey. With Skagit heads they work fine. How often do fish go deep into backing anyhow?

Go Sox,
    cds

10. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I have a 1496 1/2 as well, I use it on my 12'6" 8wt for winter fish. I think the 961/2's are a little thinner & lighter than the 98's