Photo computer

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by TrappedinCO, May 9, 2009.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Kent, I have been in the computer business for almost 20 years. I have seen everything crash from mainframes to minis to pcs and running anything from vm/cms to System360/70/90 to unix to linux to windows. They all can drop at any time. If you think you are immune to a system crash or hardware failure because of the type of machine or os you are running you are not being realistic. I hope you keep backups because backups are the only real protection for such occurrences but you already know that. Don't you?:p

Now, I could say that one of the reasons we hear more about wintel systems having more problems than say a Mac is because somewhere in the nieghgorhood of 80% of personal computer systems in the world are running a windows operation system with many different versions of software than the Mac supports but you already know that also.:p

2. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

I will preface this post by saying I am a PC guy due to how I make my living. I am DBA using MS SQL Server and have been for a while. I've never owned a Mac so my expertise in the matter is non-existent.

I can build a PC that is similar to Kent's specs for around $1400 without a monitor. I almost always buy a monitor separately these days and they range in price from $100 to $$$$$.

I checked the Apple Store real fast (Only place I know to configure a Mac) and while it comes with a monitor, the base model only comes with 2G of RAM and adding more RAM is fairly expensive. $100 for 4G and $1,100 for $8G. To be fair, it is much cheaper to add RAM to the Mac Pro but those start at a much higher price range of $2500+.

After I typed all this out, I realized that it is pretty far off topic so I will be quiet now.

3. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Kerry, be fair. The first release of Vista was a piece of crap and everyone knows it. the situation was well documented not just in anecdotal forum posts, but in the mainstream media as well.

As far as the old "well there are more windows users" excuse, that works for explaining why mac users don't have to deal with viruses. But it doesn't cover OS problems. I can only speak to my own experience, but if I compared 10 of my friends with macs and 10 of my friends with win machines in a given year. I would be asked to help out at least 5-6 of the win people and probably only 1-2 of the mac people. Just my experience, but I don't think it's an uncommon one.

For the average person, Macs are overpriced, have real issues operating in corporate networks, have limited software options (particularly in specialized situations), & have crappy batteries and power supplies. Plus, on the whole, mac owners are more than a little pompous about their white/silver boxes. Mac owners can be as bad as hybrid car owners (or fly fishermen) about their choice.

But for the average person Windows machines have driver issues, have OS issues, have registry issues, have security holes, are targeted by viruses, have malware/spyware issues, and so on. Nobody talks about a "blue screen of death" for a macintosh because there isn't one. That's a Windows problem. There is no way to hide this kind of thing.

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Kerry, I wouldn't know a mainframe from a picture frame and frankly could care less. I'm not a Mac evangelist, so if you're trying to pick a fight with me over which computer is better, it isn't gonna work.

I do know that I've used both PCs and Macs since the mid-1980s. For me a computer is simply a means to an end - a tool, much the same way a fly rod is. The Windows machines in my life have always meant a much longer journey to get to the same end.

Since making a paycheck for me means owning a computer that's reliable and doesn't require constant intervention or a dedicated tech support person, experience has pointed me towards Macs, not Windows.

K

5. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Kent no fight picking. That is why I put the dumb little smiley faces in there. Just making conversation.

6. TrappedinCO

TrappedinCO Help! I'm trapped in a landlocked state.

Thanks for the input, guys. That gave me some good ideas as to where to start. As long as we're on a computer ride, for you PC guys, what do you think about Windows 7 coming out this year? Is it worth waiting for or just upgrading on top of Vista at a later date?

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

On first investigation I would suggest waiting for win7. Last week I created a virtual test box and installed the RC version of 7 on it. I really haven't had much opportunity to work on it yet but first look it was Vista with a different name. I did a quick test of some common admin tasks and the pester screens didn't pop up like in the first versions of Vista for what thats worth.

8. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

ive heard some good reports about windows 7 so far.