Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Photo Question

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  HauntedByWaters 
#1 ·
So what is it that some folks do to make their photos look so ridiculous? Is there a program you can buy that brings out the colors in photos that a simpleton like myself would be able to afford and use? I know its not only the quality of camera because I have a nice camera and my photos still don’t look like this:

Any photosmiths have any advice?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Photoshop is a widely used program for editing digital images. It's also a professional grade program and way overkill for the average person. Adobe makes a scaled-down program that still affords good photo editing: Photoshop Elements.

You can do all sorts of adjusting to a photo but it takes practice to tastefully enhance a photo rather than overdo it.

I find that with fish, because they have such incredible colors, it's all too easy to adjust colors to make the fish really pop while ignoring other aspects of the photo that suffer from such adjustments. But for taking an original photo that had less than ideal exposure, you can easily improve that sort of thing (simple examples attached).

Best way is to make duplicates of your original photo and just play around with the features of the software.

Good luck!

Attachments

#6 ·
You can do all sorts of adjusting to a photo but it takes practice to tastefully enhance a photo rather than overdo it.

Good luck!
Wow! The second looks so much better than the first. Good work on that.

#5 ·
So what is it that some folks do to make their photos look so ridiculous? Is there a program you can buy that brings out the colors in photos that a simpleton like myself would be able to afford and use? I know its not only the quality of camera because I have a nice camera and my photos still don't look like this:

Any photosmiths have any advice?
It all starts with a good camera. Obviously, high end SLRs will give you a better image than a point and shoot, but they're a bit pricey. Canon Powershot A-series cameras, IMO, are the best point and shoots on the market for the price. I have used digital cameras that are in the same price range as the Powershots and not been able to come close to the same image quality, ease of use, or options (macro/super-macro mode, great night shot, manual focus that goes as close as a few centimeters, etc.) as the Powershot. You don't always get what you pay for, some point-and-shoot digitals just take better photos. Photography generally isn't a 'lemons into lemonade' thing - If you start with a bad image, it's going to be pretty hard to turn in into a good one with even the best software.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.