photograghing flies

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Randy Diefert, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Greg,

I though I was the only one that lugged a 4 X 5 around. Mine is a Linhof. The 35mm stuff is still shot with an old Nikon F, from the 1960's (I got it in 66) and mediium format is my trusty Hasselblad with a Mamiya RB67 as a back up. All printing is done on my Besler.

I used to work as a photo-journalist, so the stuff is left over from days gone by.

REE

2. Greg

Greg Member

Ron,

Man, you've got the neat "toys."
    Nothing like the smell of Dektol in the morning, eh?

Greg

3. Ron Eagle Elk

Greg,

I sort of prefer the acid smell of stop bath, myself. How are you liking that new digital. My wife bought a Fuji S3000, 3 megapixel, 6X Optical, 3X digital that she seems to like real well. I like doing a lot of macro stuff and that feature on the Fuji just doesn't cut it for me. I guess I'm too used to quality optics.

REE

4. Greg

Greg Member

Ron,

I'm still working my way through all the bells and whistles with the Canon S1...I feel like I've walked out of the dark ages into the 21st Century with this thing. Still looking in the manual for the section that says it will cook breakfast. I didn't want to go the digital SLR route because Lord knows I've got enough lenses laying around and didn't want to invest another fortune in still more. Besides, I'm not selling stock anymore or doing anything that would demand that level of camera.

I had an EXTREMELY tough time deciding between the Fuji Finepix S5000 and the Canon S1 IS but after doing a side-by-side comparison on www.dpreview.com/ felt the S1 was the biggest bang for the buck (even though the Fuji allowed for RAW format files.) Optics on the Canon S1 IS are touted to be excellent though probably nothing like a Rodenstock or Schneider...I'm planning to take it out for a "spin around the block" this weekend to see what it will do...I should be able to manage all the controls/options by then; will let you know how it goes if you're interested.

If you agree and want to talk further on this, I think we should take our 1:1 dialogue on photography off the board and into the Private Message world...what say you?

Greg

5. Ron Eagle Elk

Greg,

Absolutely, drop me an e-mail when you have time.

REE

6. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Home Page:
    Greg,

Very cool scans!~ And great info.

Longears, you should be in good shape if you listen to these guys.

MAC