Photos from Alaska

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Salmo Trutta, Sep 16, 2008.

1. EasyE

EasyE Member

Wow, nice pictures. Can I join you next year?

2. Salmo Trutta

Salmo Trutta Member

here is a link to speyages, may be you can see this one.

instead making attachments, which are limited by size, I have copy/past the link form the free website I have uploaded the photos to. This way I can have any size I want.
    Still you should be able to see he photos as I think most of viewers can.

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?p=213763#post213763

3. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Thanks Salmo, but I can't see them through the Speypages link either. Yet I can see every other picture on this site and on Speypages. There must be something in your picture links or address that my institution is blocking.
    Very frustrating. Thanks for sending the additional link though. It does sound like I am the only one who can't see them so it must be a problem on my end. I will talk to my IT people tomorrow and see if there is something they can do.

4. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Home Page:
    killer looking trip salmo!

5. Salmo Trutta

Salmo Trutta Member

Yes, indeed. I have been doing that for 9 year, spending 4-8 weeks depending on the year. This year the weather was super, only little rain and temps werte in 55-63 (day) and 33-45 (night) and I was landing about 20 rainbows a day ( so hook and lost) , plus arctic chars and graylings. Did not care to much this year for silvers.

Saying that, it was always relief to get real shower when coming back to the village after 4-5 days up river. Otherwise you can only use fine sand/gravel and 48-53 F water in the river to clean yourself a bit........

6. gripguru

gripguru New Member

Mediger,
    Can you right click on the red x box and click on show picture? If not, sounds like your firewall settings won't allow certain media to be accessed.

7. Mike Ediger

Thanks Gripguru, I tried that. I do think it is a firewall issue since I am at work. Still working on other options though. I will see these even if I have to head to the library or something :). I love AK!

8. Mike Ediger

OK, now I am one of the cool kids and can see all the pics. Must have been a firewall issue at work.
    Amazing pics Salmo. What a great trip. I spent a week on a river on Kodiak and never saw another person other than they guys with me. Bears every day VERY close. However we never saw a single bow even close to the size of yours. I know it is because of where you were at, but I am still blown away by every one of those pics. Each one is a trophy in my book and you were catching those on a daily basis.
    Unbelieveable.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Mike

9. Mike Ediger

By the way, any bear pics?

10. longjohn

longjohn Member

wow. just wow.

11. Salmo Trutta

Salmo Trutta Member

I have some video of Saw with cabs and a few males. They are typically in 500-900 lb range in that past of Alaska with an occasional 1000+ lb.
    I had twice bear walking within 40' to my tent during night, along river and gravel bar.

As for rainbows the very common size is in 18-23', with good number of 25-26' and time to time 26-30". All of them very fat in August/September. There are lots of salmons ( chums, kings and later silvers) running to the river proving enormous amount of food for the resident fish.
    Chum's run alone is in 500k-700k on average with 20-25k of Kings and probably 100k+ of silvers in single mid-size river.

12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

After catching all those big bows, how could ya ever come back to any thing else.
    Thanks for sharing those great pics.

13. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

look at those fish and look at the #'s of salmon providing food for that watershed, and you can see why the concept of escapement (getting just enough salmon through to maintain the run) is so horrible. Our rivers are meant to be glutted with salmon carcasses. It supports the whole biosystem. Just meeting escapment slowly starves the biosystem. Look around and you can see it. :beathead: