Pictures of gear caught fish?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Clint F, Mar 2, 2009.

1. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

You tell me, caught on gear or a fly.....

[​IMG]

And seriously if you had that monster in your hands would you give a crap ? :hmmm:

c/22

2. stam

stam New Member

I'm just a fisherman. Always have been....

now go out and have some fun.

stam

3. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Wow 7 pages of crap, enough to bring Stam out of the wood work... WOW.
    nice work guys.

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Oh and beautiful fish C22.

5. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Definitely would not give a crap about methods.

6. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

I don't fish gear, and no that fish would not have meant as much to me landed on gear as it would have swinging the fly. You are getting me to bite on this bullshit, no way. Go find a gear site. You can trade egg curing recipes, sardine wrapping tips and your favorite ways to trick out plugs by repainting them with the gear fellas. There are shitloads of places you can do that on the web. And they love gear caught steelhead pics over there! You see we used to have 10-25 fish days on the Sauk with plugs and most of those fish were over 10 pounds, especially during the "tethering" days. And no, not one of those plug landed fish, even the 28 pounder we got one day shooting plugs felt as good as a swung fly landed steelhead. Not even close. That's why I flyfish and that's why I like this site. The days are long, cold and the skunk is around more often than not. But then you do hook a wild assed steelie, there is no comparison. It's called WASHINGTON FLYFISHING, NOT I CALL MYSELF A FLYFISHERMAN, BUT IN REALITY HAVE NEVER CAUGHT A WHOLE LOT SWINGING THE FLY, SO I BUST OUT THE GEAR ROD THE VERY MINUTE I FEEL MY CONFIDENCE WAVER, WHICH IS MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, AND THEN WHEN I DO STICK A FISH GEAR FISHING I TRY TO CONVINCE MYSELF AND EVERYONE AROUND ME THAT IT IS THE SAME THING AS HOOKING ONE SWINGING THE FLY BUT DEEP DOWN INSIDE I WONDER AT NIGHT HOW MUCH BETTER THAT FISH WOULD HAVE BEEN IT I WOULD HAVE JUST STUCK IT OUT AND STAYED WITH THE SPEY ROD THAT DAY BUT........:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: This aint my first barbecue chief! I'm done with this one, but those gear landed steelhead pics don't mean a damn thing to me.

7. HauntedByWaters

Coach. You are the man. :beer2:

8. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I was tempted to go to the Dark Side this winter; two winters of absolutely intolerable fishing conditions, swinging a bunny on a type 8 through friggin' latte colored water...yeah, I went out in the garage and looked at my rack of casting rods, all dusty and neglected looking, and I was sorely tempted.
    But I think if I would have given in, even if it would have caught me a couple chromers, I'd have lost a piece of something special and good. Can't explain it. I don't judge gear guys per se, or even "switch hitters" who haven't fully committed, it's just not my way.

that's all.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    You guys have me laughing. Too funny. All I'll say, but some guys really don't know what gear fishing is. LOL

10. HauntedByWaters

Whoah there Spaz. This is the kind of stuff that people take personal. It just going to insult people if you call gear the "dark side". Accomplishment is what fishing is all about but to each their own regarding your choice of how to fish.

We both know what an accomplishment a steelhead caught the way we do it is and we don't want that belittled, that is fly fishing for winter steelhead. A handicap basically.

11. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Home Page:
    Wow, I was not expecting this. I just asked what you all thought. I picked out one person that really got defensive and butthurt/other reasons as well, and they will not have to worry about going in my boat again. I just think if you have gear caught fish why post it on a fly fishing website? It doesnt make sense. It took me a while to get back to you guys because I was fishing earlier which I think some of you should have been doing as well.

Clint

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Chrome/22,

Gear, obviously, but that's not the point nor the issue. And seriously, if I held that fish in my hands after landing it on a gear rod, I'd think long and hard about the wasted opportunity. But that's me. I don't expect you or anyone to understand, but there's no steelhead on this planet that I want to catch badly enough to use a gear rod to catch it. I choose to not catch a boatload of steelhead by deliberately choosing to fly fish for them. That's not to say I never fish with other gear, but it's for the distraction of a broader experience and making me a more complete angler and to catch other fish species, but not because I want to catch a mega-steelhead and post pictures of it.

D3,

7 pages of crap in your opinion. Personally I think the original poster asked a logical question. Why the hell would someone post photos of gear caught fish on a fly fishing forum? It makes about as much sense as me asking a treaty Indian friend to give me a photo of some gillnet caught steelhead so I can post them on this forum. Really, if choice of tackle doesn't matter, then why don't we all choose gillnets and really get 'er done? And don't underestimate the adrenaline rush of sport drift gillnetting.

Jerry,

So what is gear fishing? I think it's not the same for everyone. However, by any objective measure, it isn't near the challenge as fly fishing for winter steelhead simply because conventional spin and casting gear is an easier and more effective method for consistently catching more steelhead. I generally don't get too judgemental on forums, but anyone who doesn't understand the above statement flat out doesn't know all that much about steelheading.

Sg

13. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Anil,

Good for you for choosing to experiment. By experimenting is how I came to love fly fishing.

I am going to have to disagree with you, I don't see the similarities between Centerpin and fly fishing tackle. The methods used with both tackle are close. And if more and more fly fisherman are using centerpin outfits are they still fly fishing?

With all the differant opinons on here I wonder, how many anglers started out fishing with gear and moved to fly fishing only, and how many started out fly fishing and have moved or started to use other gear.

Personally I could care less how a person chooses to fish. The point of this post is this is a FLY FISHING SITE!!

14. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

do you look at a picture of a fish to see the rod it was caught on or to see the beauty of the fish?

15. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

please explain the subtle different between an egg sucking leech with weighted head and a jig? or the difference between an indicator(such as a thing-a-ma-bobber) and a float.

i dont care how people fish and i dont look at pictures other than to see the individual fish. I am impressed more by fly caught than gear caught fish, but i still find beauty in the fish regardless.. in fact i see more pictures of nasty fly caught fish than i do nasty gear caught fish.
    It may be a fly fishing forum but with all the other bullshit that gets posted on here do we really want to start regulating it down so that every little bit of info, story, picture has to be 100% fly fishing? to me that would be boring. if you dont like it, dont look.