Pink Flies

Do the math. A gear guy throws his buzz bomb out about a hundred or so feet and then starts yanking it in. Rarely do they hook something on the first or second yank. They average about 8 - 10 feet per by the time they drift down. That's around 16 - 20 feet. You are out about thigh deep, maybe 20 - 30 feet off shore. That means if you cast 70 feet which is easily done by most, you are about 90 feet off shore with your fly. Subtract the 16 - 20 feet off the gear cast and you are in the same vacinity.

My experience is that pinks hug the shoreline, maybe 40 to 80 feet off shore. If you are calm and quiet, you're in the ballgame with a 60 - 70 foot cast.

Was at my honey hole last humpy season and were were catching easy 10 fish per 1 buzz bombers.

Seems like buzz bombs are actually starting to wane in popularity. You're starting to see a lot more guys chucking the big heavy pink jigs now, with a lot more success. Buzz bombs work, no doubt. But the jigs definitely work better, and a properly presented fly better yet.

got some eye's today so will ty up some pink turds in case my modified woollys don't do the job. never fished with turds before but sounds like fun.
Outlaw

Seems like buzz bombs are actually starting to wane in popularity. You're starting to see a lot more guys chucking the big heavy pink jigs now, with a lot more success. Buzz bombs work, no doubt. But the jigs definitely work better, and a properly presented fly better yet.

Much agreed.

jwg

Ditto on that. The cerise flash-a-bou comets incorporate just about every design element in the consensus opinion (sparse, flashy, jiggy) and can be fished effectively off of an intermediate line or a floater. Might be worth stopping by Patrick's and picking up a dozen or more to set yourself up for a run.

I've also found that keeping the same design elements in play but switching to darker colors when they're staging and won't touch pink flies (most of the time pink works fine) can help induce strikes.

Darker colors? What do you suggest as darker colors when they wont strike pink?
thanks, Jay

JayB

Darker colors? What do you suggest as darker colors when they wont strike pink?
thanks, Jay

What worked for me was forest green flashabou comets that I'd tied up for chum. Basically I was just getting desperate after seeing a gajillion fish pass up what I was tossing, and those seemed to do the trick. If I recall correctly, black and deep blue flies in the same pattern seemed to work as well.

For all I know I could have started tossing these patterns just as the bite came on, and something pink would have worked just as well, but for whatever reason they seemed to do the trick when none of the pink patterns I'd been throwing out had been getting much attention.