Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pink Recon

30K views 169 replies 68 participants last post by  wetline dave 
#1 ·
went to the south tacoma and did recon for pinks. results negative, no pinks south yet. i did catch a bunch of 10-12 inch kings and 8-12 inch cutts. ALL RELEASED FINE. sadly no pinks yet.

talked to a guy that had just returned from the striaght up north and said they r in thick. made it difficult to fish for kings kept getting pinks. said they are larger this year average 6-7 lbs.

#2 ·
By up North in the straight do you mean up near here, in BC? I was just wondering if Pinks vary in size by the river system that they are from. I only ask this because Leland had said in one of his little videos that a 6 or 7wt would be fine for them because they aren't too big, but is he generally meaning the Pinks in the area that he is fishing? Up here, on the system I fish (Fraser River), I wouldn't feel comfortable using a 6 or 7wt, but would rather use a 7/8. I just know that a 6 would be waaay too light for the pinks in this system if I was to try to get them to hand and released quickly.
I'm not trying to say our Pinks are bigger, but does it make a difference as to what system you are targeting? If I could catch some smaller pinks and play them on a 6wt safely, I would love that due to the fact there is more play/feel in a 6 compared to a 7/8wt.

#9 ·
I've broken two 8wts on pinks.
That sounds like angler error; high sticking, loose ferrules, or trying to land or net them too green . . .

A 6 weight is plenty rod out in the Sound for pinks. And, I tend to agree the North Sound fish are quite a bit bigger than the South Sound fish, so one could almost justify using a little heavier stick when fishing pinks in the heavier/faster current rivers. A 6 weight should be the perfect stick, though, in all of these instances. Has been for me for many many years.

#14 ·
searunsimpson- I'm new here so sure there are libraries of info better than mine from longtimers :) That said, in the sound I think a 6/7 wt would be plenty fine because pinks are not leader shy. You can really lean into those buggers and they usually aren't strong enough to go far into your backing. A 5wt would probably tire the fish too much and potentially threaten their recovery on release but I think a 6/7 would work as long as you use that stout tippet and aren't afraid to lean into them hard.
Their mouths do get softer the longer the season goes on as they start to turn green though so toward end of August beginning of Sept in the salt you might start tearing the fly out of their mouths. Unfortunately most of this pertains to Dash point and south sound area so if you make it down here might use the info. Up north in BC don't you have those beautiful Fraser sockeye to play with? Forget about the pinks LOL! Sorry I can't help you about up north.

BTW for the record I have been out of saltwater flyfishing for many years. :-(

#15 ·
IMO, a 6 wt rod is a tad light if used on the beach with fellow fisherman close in around you; hooking up with a larger fish can force you into playing a fish around people's feet, given the penchant of pinks to not make runs until close at hand.

Using a 7 or 8 wt allows for some consideration for your neighbor. I have seen waders torn by someone else's fish rubbing past with a hook sticking out of its mouth, let alone loosing a big fish. While my preferred beach rod is a 9'6" 6 wt., in heavy traffic I tend to use a 7 or 8.

#19 ·
I'm starting to wish I had a 9'6" 6 weight, not only for sw but river fishing too. I think a 6 is the minimum to use, some 6's are built more like 7's and even some 8's so it also depends on what make/model rod you are using. But, Salt dog makes a great point, sometimes when you have your extended cousins fishing with you have to bring them in quick and straight!

#158 ·
I bought a Sage Z-Axis 697 which is the 9'6" six weight. I bought it primarily for lake fishing but it's also perfect for SRC's. It has a fighting butt which should be on all rods. I order to get the fighting butt I had to buy the 4 piece model so for convenience I only break in down into main 2 pieces and carry it in a rod and reel case. I love it! I would marry it if could.

#20 ·
Lots of pinks in hoodsport, in fact I saw my first pink fight of the season out there yesteraday. Broke it up after a few seconds one guy was bleeding pretty bad and the other guy was still talking trash when they left. . . damn gear guys.

#21 ·
:thumb: for the Salt Dog. iagree You also have to consider tide and wind when fishing the salt. Six weight is a bit light unless you plan on playing the fish to death and then if you can't release the fish they're so built up with lactic acid that you may as well make fertilizer of them. Get serious about conservation and use a heavier rod. It will save a fish to spawn or taste better if you harvest it.

#22 ·
I used to fish a 6wt for salt pinks, but now with all the increased boats and fisherman in the last few years fishing the popular areas it's a pain in the %&$*. I went to the 8wt. otherwise you are going to wrap a few anchors and lines and you will spend less time bulldogging when you have fish around you begging to take the fly again.

#28 ·
It's actually in Burien....on google maps it's the point that's pointing to Vashon Island

#29 ·
We went for a drive on Saturday to Hoodport and did not see a lot of fish.
We were there from 9:00AM till 2Pm and not much other than a small school that came in and few people hooked into.
More boaters than shore fisherman.

The kings and Pinks should be in this weekend with good number.

The Indians supposedly netted around 50 fish on Thursday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.