Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pink Recon

30K views 169 replies 68 participants last post by  wetline dave 
#1 ·
went to the south tacoma and did recon for pinks. results negative, no pinks south yet. i did catch a bunch of 10-12 inch kings and 8-12 inch cutts. ALL RELEASED FINE. sadly no pinks yet.

talked to a guy that had just returned from the striaght up north and said they r in thick. made it difficult to fish for kings kept getting pinks. said they are larger this year average 6-7 lbs.

#68 ·
Could have been the fact that there were about 200 kids there including my two, enjoying the skimboarding. Sometimes it can be dangerous but there's plenty of beach on either side of the Park property to fish, including my beach between there and the pier. It does sound like someone blowing smoke, however.

#70 ·
Evan, that does sound like a load. I have never been at a state park and had someone tell me that I couldn't fish there. I'm sure they were just 'inconveniencing' the other park visitors. And if he was taking his kayak down there, that's even worse. Where does it say you can't launch a boat from the park??? That would piss me off if it was me. I would ask for some explanation from said park person, and then go fish!

#74 ·
When I "invite" someone out on my boat, I assume the costs of gas and fees. It's always nice if that person chips in but I never expect it if the invitation is from me. That's just the way I am. It's sort of like asking your girlfriend out to dinner and then paying the bill. Now if someone says, "can I go out on your boat with you?", then I would assume they expect to at least split the costs of the gas and fees. I also expect them to bring their own gear. If I invite, then I make sure there is enough gear for both of us whether they bring their own or not. I invited my daughter's boyfriend last weekend and we lost a downrigger ball, snubber and gear on a rock or something. I assumed the cost since it was my invitation.

#75 ·
When someone is kind enough to invite me out, I always try to pay for as much as I can. A lot of times the invitee has the attitude of the above poster, where they assume all costs because they invited me, but the way I see it is that if they let me go out with them, I will try to cover as much as possible. This includes lunch, fees, gas, and anything else that I can.

#76 ·
Dash has a few fish showing. I've seen 3 come in off the pier watching for about an hour over a 2 day span (just going down to check things out). Still spotty though. Today there were guys fishing in the salt wading (not just pier). The state park area (away from pier) had a couple guys wading and fishing. Of course you should be able to fish there, always could before. They were all gear guys though out today.

#78 ·
Ah, I was there right around low tide approx 11:00 AM or so. Let the little one play on the swing and run around a little :) So was near pier. I saw a couple guys wading out toward state park but didn't look like they were swinging fly lines ( admittedly a bit hard to tell at that distance but the body language didn't looke like flyfishing).

#83 ·
GoFish - that's a seriously bizarre attitude for a flyfisherman. "Go buy a can at Trader Joes and save money and time."
I can't imagine that anyone in WA is actually saving time/money flyfishing for anything!
Not everyone's planning on eating the pinks - just C&Ring them for enjoyment, kind of like cutties or wild steel. You really only fish for species you're planning on eating? Pinks are big, strong, fun fish to catch. They're wild, and there are enough of them that you don't feel like you're harrassing a dying breed just for fun. If you don't personally care for a particular species of salmon, don't fish for them (and skip the pink threads to save yourself some disdain for your fellow WFF members.) I don't see why you'd want to piss on everyone else's parade.

#88 ·
I gotta agree that they're tasty for sure, and I'm one of the morons that won't fish for it if he is not going to eat it.
I think it's retarded to fish for something you don't want to eat, and I enjoy fishing more than anyone I know and have been doing it from the age of 4.

Pinks, I can't wait till they come back strong and I can nab me a couple!

:)

#89 ·
I am of low class ilk then maybe finding pinks to be great. I'll save the regal runs for the elites and have fun playing with (and eating) pinks.

I'm just starting to try to get back into flyfishing with pinks being the instigator. I have to target a fish I can catch and keep with some frequency or else the Mrs 'speech' will be headed my way and fishing time drastically reduced. Pinks give me that chance.

Also, pinks get lots of people out so you can meet new people and learn from them too. BTW, Steve thank you for the brief meet and greet at Dash Point this morning and friendly help. You are a great guy to have out there fishing. Nice to see that first pink for you too this season, a nice cookie cutter pink. Not too small, not too big. Just right.:thumb:

I personally find pinks ot be great table fare if you treat them right and quickly take care of them (bleeding, ice, etc). They also smoke up pretty well even after being frozen. Much much better eating than chum. A fresh bright pink caught the same day and BBQd over alder wood rivals any of the previously frozen store fish (even sockeye IMO). Not a bright fresh-caught coho, chinook, or sockeye but not terribly far off either.

I'm still waiting for my first, may have to wait for them to get in thicker so I don't come back empty handed next time LOL (I did avert the 'speech' today but did get a 'U can't fish before work if U are working cuz U will be too tired' short sentencing :beathead:).

If it weren't for pinks, I doubt my wife would have the patience to let me get back out there so I feel a slight sense of gratitude to these non-hatchery big runs.

That's my penny's worth.:) Good luck to all out there.

#120 ·
I met some very cool buzz bomb chuckers out on the beach Sunday.. they gave me all sorts of info and weren't a bunch of whiny bitches on the interweb...

What did you expect? You came on and called the actions of 99.9% of the members on this board "retarded.". That is asking for flak, and I gladly dished said flak out.
iagree

#92 ·
Hahahaha, typical and semi Napoleonic...

Dude, I said that "I think it's retarded to fish for something you don't want to eat" (kind of like hunting, a hook can be as lethal as a bullet, not often, but can be, think on that cupcake)

I didn't call you out, but I can, although I won't, cause I'm not going to, cause Chad said to knock it off, so I will...

So There! :thumb: Peace out.

#95 ·
Not if you read it literally Evan, reading it like I wrote it would literally translate to "the actions of one fishing for pleasure only are retarded", not calling the retard that does it a retard, just saying it's retarded. Like parachuting without a parachute, no point if you dont' bring a parachute right?

I like letting fish go when they're too small or not the species I was hunting for, but I am not going to go out and enjoy the pleasure of fishing simply to do it, it costs a lot of $ to do it and I'm going to reap some of those rewards, that's why I don't fish for Cutthroat or Steelhead or several other species...

I'm not trying to be different, only real, and I wasn't calling you non keepers out on behalf of releasing. I was simply putting in my two cents worth on a good thread about pinkies :)

#98 ·
A few pinks brought to the beach at a location north of coho flats and south of the stinky inlet. Tons of boats out in a full on flotilla and I saw two fish landed by one boat and one by another boat. My friend and I caught a few small fish. He focused on the coho parr and I on the bullheads. He managed a 12" resident coho and I another that was a whopping 9". Great day out (Saturday) but nothing impressive to write home about.

#102 ·
...I on the bullheads.
What's yer favourite bullhead recipe?

If I choose to keep a pink salmon, I hope nobody holds it against me.
Steve, that would just make your shirt all slimy, and I woudn't do ya like that.

I'm borrowing someone's hat.
Everyone needs a favourite hat.
Personally, I like nymphing for mine under an indicator and letting it bounce in the chop. Thinkd of it like chironomid fishing from the shore, only on salt water.
No joke that's how I'm going to let the kidlet fish in the salt....dink float, weight, then either a fly (or two!) or one of the small 1/8oz. jigs she tied up. Should work a treat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.