Pink salmon thought to be the winner in climate change roulette

CLO

Future WFF Mod
Here's an interesting article from the Vancouver Sun on how pinks appear to be successfully outcompeting sockeye as the dominant salmon species in the Fraser: http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Hyper abundant pink salmon outcompeting wild sockeye/10050284/story.html

K

Hard to link that to climate change but it's a ok hypothesis. I think it's more about over harvesting the prized sockeye and that gives the lowly pink a leg up in the food chain. Give nature a benefit in one way or another and it will react and take time to regulate.

Sockeye and pinks spawn in different areas of the river and there are 35-70 million sockeye forecast this 2014 run. Maybe try netting a couple million pounds less of sockeye and see what happens. Until then I will worry about more pressing fisheries issues.

as a scientist expected to produce peer reviewed experiments etc, I have a hard time with piss poor experimental design, half drawn conclusions etc.
I have a very hard time with any of these "articles" when theres no data or method attached :(

I would love to see some population graphs/ food density data etc etc at the bare minimum
I guess most average americans cant really read graphs and extrapolate data though.

CLO

Future WFF Mod
as a scientist expected to produce peer reviewed experiments etc, I have a hard time with piss poor experimental design, half drawn conclusions etc.
I have a very hard time with any of these "articles" when theres no data or method attached :(

I would love to see some population graphs/ food density data etc etc at the bare minimum
I guess most average americans cant really read graphs and extrapolate data though.

This was a Canadian article but yeah. Also saying this was a half drawn conclusion is giving it way too much credit.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I wonder how they count that many fish. Do they have somebody at a window and saying 1,2,3,4, etc, etc. or is it just a wild ass guess

CLO

Future WFF Mod
I wonder how they count that many fish. Do they have somebody at a window and saying 1,2,3,4, etc, etc. or is it just a wild ass guess

They accurately count the fish that pass through dams, but I'm not sure anyone can explain how they make salmon ocean forecasts.