Pinks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by SAU, Aug 5, 2009.

1. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Now that is cool...congratulations!! Didn't know they taught fly tying at AA tho...?? I may hafta' go back.....:beathead:

Jc:D

2. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    So you got two in the pink and the 99 others got one in the stink. Good job!

3. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Shock'n'awe!!!

4. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

This being my first year to really give any thought to pinks so can't really say how it should be, but I can say it seems spotty at best right now I've caught a few in area 9 and have seen the gear guys getting some but it seems like the fish are coming in small schools, people will get into them and then it stops as the fish go by, no real long term action.
    tony

5. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

the pink is going on over on the island at the usual beaches.
    check the other fishing site (P/P) the one that local O/P guide has.
    nuff said.

6. gt

gt Active Member

pea soup fog this am, visability maybe 200', perfect for sneaking up on the pinks in the dungeness triangle. back out tomorrow am to see if they are sticking around. they were full of 2-2 1/2" fingerlings, stuffed that is.........

7. Caveman

Caveman Member

Still spotty, wait a week to week and half. Should get on fire.

ADam

8. Reelucky

Reelucky New Member

Funny, I had a buddy call all fly fisherman snobs. I disagreed as my experiences on the river have been the opposite.

I hope he never looks at this forum. There are some serious Nubs in here.

For those who don't want the report posted. Whidbey Island is doing well for Pinks. Humpy Hallow in the boat is still slow but they are there.

There are enough pinks to go around so don't be a @$$ post your reports. I know I will. Despite the haters.

9. rockfish

rockfish Member

here that reelucky

10. gt

gt Active Member

low light and miserable visablility followed by fog then rain, drizzle to real rain, followed by wind and a change in direction, led to a single rip forming, pow! it's slow for us, but the pinks are there. oh, and we were the one and only boat hunting :)

p.s. why people smoke these fish, unless you really like smoked fish, is beyond me. pinks are delicious eating, slap'um on the barbie and enjoy what may be the most delicate eating salmon out there, way better than those oily chinook!

11. 1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper New Member

Man that sure is the truth right there. I love them BBQed with a wedge of fresh lemon and a little salt and pepper. Im thinking that is sounding so good right now.

12. SAU

SAU Member

Thanks to all for the helpful responses, and for the support Reelucky. I worked MA9 hard Friday and Saturday from Dark-thirty to 10am. I found a few fish on the surface Saturday. No major concentrations, just a few here and there. While I've heard some favorable reports in MA9, I've also found I am not alone in this assessment.

Can someone explain to me how and why MA11 heats up before MA9 and 10? Maybe they sneak down the shipping lanes at night? Seriously though, please share your theories on this phenomenon.

Thanks,

Scott

13. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

The Puyallup fish seem to show a bit earlier than the north sound fish. The popular Area 11 spots are located in an area where those fish seem to stack up and stage before their entry into the river. Those fish move through Area 9 and 10, but the odds of a fisherman intercepting one are lower since they're just moving through and not stacked up like they are in Area 11.

That's my theory at least.:D

14. TC

TC I live with wind knots

Tru Dat! the one I had last evening was wonderful. My wife had never had pink. She is a fan now. Mild, flaky and awesome.

BTW, has anybody noticed that restaurants are trying to pawn chum off as "keta" salmon? Now that is f'n hilarious.:eek:

15. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

why not, since some people seem to enjoy salmon with no oil... seems pretty savvy.

don't get me wrong, ocean fresh pinks bled and quickly and properly iced can be decent tablefare, but to say their better than chinooks just means a lack of taste buds, or a lack of success catching kings.