Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Plantar Fasciitis

NFR 
4K views 50 replies 32 participants last post by  Wormonhook 
#1 ·
Actually SFR as I have it in my left heel and it has flared up recently. It eases up after the start of the day and thus far does not impact fishing. I started wearing some OTC orthotic in my work shoes and that seemed to help a bit. Now retired, I've been wearing other casual shoes more often. Any others on the forum deal with this and what has worked best for you? Anyone use them in wading boots? Trying to decide whether to see a Podiatrist... wife thinks I should, I'm not so sure.

#32 ·
One more vote for the barefoot/minimalist approach. It worked for me, along with ice and using a golf ball to massage away the scar tissue in my heel.

I had it bad for about a year, and tried the inserts with no success. A friend who is a PT said ditch the inserts because weak arches contribute to PF, and orthotics and inserts just keep your arches weak. They also told me you had to break up the scar tissue under the heel to recover, so I would ice my foot until it went numb and then I could tolerate digging a golf ball into my heel. At first it felt like I had a marble in my heel but after about a month of working it with a golf ball the scar tissue shrunk and I was pain free.

Anyway, everyone is different, but that's what worked for me. Been about 3 years now with no issues. Only maintenance is I stick to the least supportive shoes I can find to keep my feet strong.

#36 ·
Wrestling with the same problem(PF). Tried most of the recommended approaches to no effect. Currently trying the pricey podiatrist orthotics. Might try the night splint next. This is really a painful and difficult problem to heal. Everyone seems to have a different easy solution that just doesn't work for me. A bit of research shows that no 1 single treatment is effective. Apparently the condition is plantar tendonosis, not tendinitis as most folks believe. Ouch!

#37 ·
Brad, I tried everything and did months and months of PT and followed their instructions to the letter. They finally gave up and said there was nothing more they could do and sent me back to the Dr. PT said I would most likely need surgery as it was so bad and nothing had fixed it. My Dr was very surprised. She said "and even the night boot didn't help?" When I asked what a night boot/splint was and she discovered they had not given me one, she was pissed!!! She explained how and why they work and sent me home with one. It was a pain in the butt to sleep with but it started helping almost immediately!

#38 ·
I've also had it off and on over the past 10 years. Extended periods of standing around without walking were worst. I also have perfectly flat feet, which often results in plantar fasciitis when one gets older.

My first comment would be to not expect any sort of therapy, footwear, insoles, etc., to result in immediate relief. Remember, Albert Pujols lost almost an entire season a few years ago to plantar fasciitis. It takes time to heal. My PT recommended superfeet insoles (before going with expensive orthotics), shoes with good support (no sandals, or bare feet), and morning stretching. In time that should permit healing to occur. That said, you then need to continue stretching, good footwear, and insoles pretty much forever, if you want to avoid recurrence. Anyone who has had a good long bout of PF will know it is worth making the effort to avoid getting it again.
D

#40 ·
.................My first comment would be to not expect any sort of therapy, footwear, insoles, etc., to result in immediate relief. .
D
I think I agree with most comments, but Richards comment is important. It took almost two years wearing my orthotic for the benefits to kick in and the pain to finally go away.

A good PT is a godsend. Good luck in finding one. I did go to a Podiatrist for a second opinion. That was helpful. He did say continue with the PT program. I also broke my ankle years ago and the surgeon he said "WHEN you get arthritis" . The Podiatrist did say that after almost 15 years I was pass the arthritis gate and am home free. So it was worth it for that.

Given the length of time to "fix" anything I would be leary about "homegrown" solutions. When I first got my hip pain I thought longer and farther walks were the solution. Well, that just compounded the problem since I was walking without orthotic.

I also did have to wear the things 24/7 if I was walking. That was the toughest thing so I got a second set for slippers.

#41 ·
Olukai sandals are the best arch support I have found. I have the hiapo's and they are great!
Hey thanks for the tip.
For other reasons, I need good arch support. I used to like Birkenstocks, but my arches are no longer as high as when I was younger, and the Birkies are too much.
got some Olukai at REI earlier this week and I'm very happy with them.

the newer style superfeet (as opposed to the standard green ones), e.g. bronze, and charcoal, are working well too.

Jay

#42 ·
Doc confirms PF and swollen bursa. I now have "Das Boot" on and reading the stretch exercises sheet I'm to do morning and night. He recommended a 20 oz. plastic drink bottle filled 1/2 with water and 1/2 with isopropyl alcohol -- shaken, not stirred. Freeze that and roll under foot. I was thinking about using Vodka instead so that if it doesn't work, I can re-purpose :D.

Also said my near new tennis shoes are crap and gave me a list of footwear which provide the needed support. I was in the market for some new hiking shoes anyway, so at least that timing works out.

Here's hoping this is day one to it going bye-bye. Doc mentioned the cortisone option but he reserves that for chronic cases that won't go away or pain is really high. He also said that shot hurts like hell... lasting 20-30 seconds :eek:. I'm wondering if he says that as incentive to do the exercises and wear the splint?

Thanks for all the input!

#45 ·
A few of you have mentioned that your podiatrist or PT therapist have given you recommendations on shoes that are good for PF, flat feet and your other foot problems...
..any of you care to share some of those brands? Id love to.check out what the professionals are recommending.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.