Please help me leave the gear rod at home

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Cruik, Sep 5, 2013.

1. macSuibhne

macSuibhne Member

Ignorance? How long have you been flyfishing? How long have you been fishing with any rig?

As long as you've been trolling internet forums?

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    LOL. Trolling? I don't need to give my "credentials". I've probably done more for the sport then you have. Especially when it comes to "flyfishing". I'm far from a "troll" when it comes to this board. ;)

BTW, I don't hide behind a moniker. Easy to find me.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  3. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

drop dave kaiserman a note he uses an ambush line very effectively with good success on single handed rod. I have not had near the success that he has with an 8wt. winston B-IIx ( I use a 10' 7 wt. B-IIx) I also have a 5 wt switch and a 7 wt. switch---I wouldn't use the 7 wt on small steams on the dry side-It is just too long for the tight quarters----but it works well on the lower Yakima, the 5wt is great in the Yakima canyon and Naches sized rivers---but even it can be a bit long for streams that are only 20-30 fee wide.

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  4. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    That's basically what I do with my single handers. He just makes it look so much easier.

5. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Jesus, Pat, I think Wulff is going to have to start paying you considering how hard you push that line!

Pat Lat likes this.
  6. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

its a pretty fun line, just trying to share the joy. But yes they should pay me.

7. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Small stream flyfishing for steelhead is the task eh?

Sounds like the OP likes fishing gear. If that is the case then fish gear. Have fun and have a beer ready for me if we meet at a parking spot. My recomendation would be to either fish gear or dry lines w/o lead for summer fish.
    If your gonna nymph, just save yourself the hassle and fish gear. Seems like you are good at it. It's the same damn thing. I gotta believe that it's more fun since lobbying weight on a flyrod is about as much fun as a bleeding hemerhoid.
    If you wanna catch steelhead on a fly from your small streams toss a skater/wet on a floater and swing for the fences. Dryline steelhead are awesome. Save some money that you would have spent on new lines etc. to gear fish on your flyrod and purchase some gas.
    Gas?....Yes gas. The most important factor in flyfishing for steelhead is going where there are fish. Wild summer run fish are the most likely to take a fly so use that gas money and go where there are wild summer run steelhead.
    I'm headed there in a couple weeks. I'll be flyfishing. Unfortunately the river(s) will be good sized although a man can always go higher in any system.
    This is my opinion and in no way is meant to discredit those with other opinions or who fish differently. Afterall, the man asked.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

8. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

Charles, I can definitely see where you're coming from with your recommendation to save money and spend it on gas. I think a lot of people in the fly fishing community spend too much time and effort on gear and other goodies, when that time and money are better spent getting up at 4 in the morning and driving 3 hours to hit the water you really want to, instead of fishing the SF snoq. with a Sage One. As for nymphing (at least with an indicator), I really don't plan on doing it. I generally like to take both my gear and fly rod on a trip and switch off, depending on the water. I fish the gear rod more, I'd say because I find the single hand casting, especially with an 8 weight, to be tiresome and limiting (because of the back-cast). I'm mainly trying to find a better tool for when I find those big-bouldered tailouts, or other spots that would be criminal not to swing. That Wulff line is tempting. To be honest, I've never fitted a line meant for roll-casting. I'm wondering if that wouldn't just be best.

9. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    11 1/2 spey/ switch correctly lined is the deal then. Corectly lined.

Oh and buy the right line.

Go Sox,
    cds

10. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

First [and by far most economical] thing to try is overlining your rod by one or two sizes. No joke. Medium action =9wt. Fast actioned rod, go for the 10wt. When working tight this does wonders.. plus allows you to 'boss' heavy fly or any weight much easier. Beg, borrow, or steal one.. worry about purchase later. WF or DT not a concern for initial test run/s. Fish this way a few times things will be coming into focus for an informed choice.

Study a couple basic single hand spey casts. Pretty simple, unbelievably handy, and they'll work with any line on short casts.

Best of luck

11. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Much good info above, but one correction: "A short head line, Skagit style won't require such a long head to be carried in the air. A Scandi line covers the middle ground until you get long enough to be tossing that full/long line. I have a custom Skandit line produced by Steve Godshall, he works with Bob Meiser on rod and line design out of Maupin, OR. The Scandit is a pretty cool and effective tool, google R. B. Meiser and tour his pages."

Steve and Bob share a shop in Central Point here in Southern Oregon (tad north of Medford).

This has been well covered but the fishing conditions the thread starter mentioned would be well suited to an 11 foot switch rod in a 7 or 8 with one of Steve's "skandidt'' (sp?) lines.

12. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Steve is a great guy to work with too. Just bought a complete Skagit and Scandi for my spey. Told him what i wanted to do and set it up.

13. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

Thought I would give a little update. I ended up grabbing a 7 weight switch rod. I actually bought it as part of a package deal. It came with the Wulff Ambush line. I figure I can experiment with lines later to really key in what I want to do with it, but I figured it was probably a pretty versatile line. This last weekend I got to give it a spin over a float trip. I was impressed, to say the least. Some things I noticed first off were:

1. How easy it was to cast single handed. While it wasn't as easy as a single hander to cast, I definitely thought it would be easy to do so, if I'm not trying to cast single handed all day.
    2. The spey-casting was definitely capable. I'm not expecting to bomb casts, I would just fish a spey rod if that was my intention. I think I agree that the rod might be slightly less forgiving as far as casting form. I'm not that great with a spey rod, but I can cast competently. I was still definitely able to spey cast competently with the switch. One thing I noticed, was that when I had more than about 20-25 feet of running line, it was difficult for the rod (and maybe it was because of the weight of the line head) to pull it all out and I think this was limiting my casting range. But, I'm not complaining since if I want to cast further than that, I would be using a spey rod.
    3. 2-HANDED OVERHEAD CASTS!!! Awesome! Even with 30-50 feet of line on the water, the ability to pick it up and launch it with a 2-handed overhead cast was effortless and amazing....provided back-cast room. The cast required very little effort and was really useful, especially when I was using flies that were a little too heavy to spey cast effectively.
    4. Line Control. I felt like I had great line control with this thing. It mended great and I felt like I had far more control over the line than I ever would with a spey rod. I like to fish a lot of pocket-esque water and complex flows without an indicator and this rod was a champ. I was able to swing/tight line nymph a lot of great pocket water that I would have had to skip with a spey rod.
    5. Fish Landing. I thought the length and feel was perfect. Sometimes I hate using my spey rod for actually landing fish, especially in tight quarters, but this was great.

The trip itself was great, too. I think I went 4/6 and missed a couple other suspicious tugs. Pics attached. 2 hatchery fish, 2 wild fish. All looked like 1-salt fish, so I really didn't get a chance to push the rod too hard. The 2 wild fish fought much harder, even despite one of them looking like a skinny downstreamer. PA050056.JPG PA060071.JPG