Plug Clave

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by _WW_, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Now that is a view point i can respect! Well stated Stilly!! I have been bitten by the swing bug and i swing every chance i get, but am not above the bobber fishing! More power to you, the tug is the drug.....talking about fishing.

2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I am above bobber fishing.

Go Sox,
    cds

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Bacon wrapped kwikfish are by far the best. No beads needed. A bit tough to cast far with a 2 hander but with persistance it can be done. Hooked up with a boondogger with one once. You should have seen the look on his face when he reeled it in.

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Interesting idea flipping a small spoon or a hot shot of some sort off a spey rod. The small spoon I've tried (no success) but the idea of casting something the size/weight of a HS intrigues. Never seen it done nor have (before this thread) read of folks actually doing same. Open question, how do you cast (or what casts maybe) do you use to chuck that follow.

With a small spoon like the DN all you need to do (if someone wants to give it a go) is tie on a small round bottom snap swivel to the end of a sink tip leader and let her rip. They're so light they'll cast very well.

Now a H Shot .... that strikes me (no bad pun intended) as a whole different matter; over head cast with one of those things?

fae

5. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Fred,

My posts were made tongue in cheek as I think this thread was started with a little tic. I have thrown small spoons with a 2 hander. Mostly what is known up here as Wells' spoons. These are lightweight spoons made by hand of thin brass sheeting and were developed by a gentleman named Wells, a nursery owner from Mt. Vernon, WA and an avid fisherman. He made the spoons so they could be cast with a fly rod. Wells died some years back but the spoons were still being made by a guy named Ziggy, a nickname based off his last name which escapes me now. Ziggy died about 7 or 8 years ago and no one was making them for a number of years. I have been told that someone else in the valley has started making the Wells spoon again. They are highly prized by both fly and gear fishermen. Because of the thin, light weight material used to make them they have a superior action than a Dick Nite spoon and are easy to cast with a single or double handed fly rod. Some have claimed that the Dick Nite spoon was copied from the Wells. Don't know if that is true or not.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Great suggestion WW! I have a bunch of Kwikfish plugs, even size 16s, that I got for chinook fishing and, like my box of beads, are virgins. If somebody can give me lessons on huckin' these things with a Spey rod, then it's that many fewer flies I need to tie and can finally get some use out of these damn banana shaped lures, bacon wrapped or not.

Sg

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

THANK GOD! You had me worried there for a moment. I've tried Dick Nites off the end of a sink tip well in the past, use a round bottom snap swivel and clip on and off you go. Never did anything that way (hook a fish) but it sounds like a workable situation for low water fishing.

Casting a Hot Shot ... that I couldn't even imagine.

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Fred, I might be able to get you a couple of the Wells spoons, if they are being made again. Like I said superior action to the DN and they cast a heck of a lot easier. Love the whirring sound they make as they buzz past my ear.

9. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I too use a small swivel to cast the DN on the fly rod. I don't think they are that much of a bitch to cast on a one hander, Im sure you wouldnt even notice it on a 2 hander. They do mke mini hot shots an wiggle warts and kwikfish that Im sure would be castable on a 2 hander. youd need a good lifting cast to get it to the surface, maybe a snap t or c spey? Experimentation must be one

10. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

11. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

I can BELIEVE the buzzing sound! Sounds like a Total Hoot to give those a try. Keep me posted via PM.

Many thanks in Advance
    :>)

12. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I thought they were fantastic,I was hoping to someday have the leading role in one of these movies

13. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

I have yet to discover a fly for coho that works better than a Dick Nite on a 15' sink tip.
    They actually cast better with a spey cast than they do overhead. It's the back casting that introduces all the tangles. :)

14. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

The only problem with bacon wrapped quick fish is i ALWAYS get a treble or two in my mouth by the time the day is over......I love bacon.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Brady, that is not a fly rod. You are doing it all wrong. You really need to attend the KerryS _WW_ BennysBuddy clave.