PNP Report: 7/25-26

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by yellowlab, Jul 27, 2008.

1. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Pretty slow in that general area this morning. Got a few shakers and one good tug before calling it a day when the wind picked up. After seeing a lot of fish last week up there it appears to have slowed a bit...perhaps they are moving down closer to home.

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Ha! Ha! I have to agree. This sure went South! :rofl:

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Still, when you read between the posts, it's a good report.

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Hooker did give his advice. Don't strip SLOW!!..................at least in some circumstances.

5. PT

PT Physhicist

Mumbles, you and I read this completely different. I actually would see it as being a useful tip. Don't read too much into it other than what is said. If people are catching a bunch of bullhead, flounder and crab they SHOULD try something different. Change it up and you might see different results.

I don't come on here for a buch of backslapping and friendly banter. That stuff is really cool if that's what you want out of it. I want to read between the lines from those people who don't post very often. It's the folks who don't say much here that probably catch most of the fish.

I read about people who have been steelheading for the past 3 years and have had 1 grab... maybe. You know what my advice would be. Stop doing the same thing you've been doing for the past 3 years and maybe you'll have some success. Read that however you wish.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

PT, great point, thank you. I guess evertime I read something from Hooker he seems to be quick to bash or brag. Maybe I'm reading him dead wrong or I should just stop reading his input if it gets me spun up like a bunch of deer hair. I have to admit I have learned just as much from those who I consider "bad" instructors, teachers or examples as those I consider "good" ones. Thanks for the grounding and recalibration.

7. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

Thank you PT.

8. masu73

masu73 Member

At least I got a tug on my line last sat am. Even though it was sculpin or flounder. Gave the flounder to my in laws and they steamed it up Asian style. yum!!!

Heading out to fish PNP tomorrow. Hope we will get into a coho or two. Any recent reports?

Always good fishing with you Paul and nice meeting you Tim!!!

9. Bob Balder

Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

Mumbles, I agree with you about 100%. There is a lot to be learned here, one just needs to get by some of the bravado and brash. I don't come here for a bunch of friendly banter either. I'm old and crotchety sometimes, easy to get all spun up.
    I certainly do appreciate the knowledge some of these good folks are willing to provide though. It is always worth sifting though.

10. Phil Struck

Phil Struck New Member

Fished it this afternoon for a couple of hours. Caught one 6-7# hatchery coho. There were about 10 gear fisherman and I did'nt see any other fish caught. Saw several small bait balls of sand lance right off the beach and a lot of shakers jumping in the eddy off the point. Good luck.

11. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Mumbles, I think you're substantially correct in your assessment, and you are reacting to many posts by both you and Hooker other than just in this thread.

What some of the other folks commenting herein aren't aware is that sometimes Hooker will make negative or criticizing observations without providing any follow-up suggestion or guidance, and he's made some extremely disparaging remarks (without knowing you; heck, I don't either) about your skills and knowledge (or lack thereof).

But, it appears that you're taking the high road and putting a positive spin with your comment "I have to admit I have learned just as much from those who I consider "bad" instructors, teachers or examples as those I consider "good" ones." Attaboy, and I guess it's just like those coaches or military sargeants who yell and cuss at their folks and tell him how bad they suck, I guess there is something to learn from those who typically only provide negative feedback.

Good perspective. By the way, I appreciate your willingness and interest in learning, and appreciate that you are indeed getting out and applying what you are learning.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Richard. Having spend just over 20 years in the military, coming through your ordinary public school system and working with and for thousands of people I've seen plenty. I've seen many who show me how to, and many who show me how not to. The high road is the only way to go, otherwise the low road flooded with negative stuff will surely bring you to the bottom. The military trys to make you think you can't make it anywhere else. I was not convinced of that, thankfully I was right.

I'm lucky to have received tons of ideas here and will try to employ them and as I flounder a bit I'll refine some of them as best I can. Thanks again, my skin is not so thin, so I'll take it all, positive and negative and keep on moving.

Maybe Hooker mumbled as a kid or something, sometimes I think his responses to me were targeted. I did a search of his stuff and genearlly most of his stuff was, in my opinion, negative and not informative. He did recently put out a couple of nice tidbits though, maybe we are all moving along the high road, who knows?