polar bear and seal fur

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by rockfish, Aug 25, 2002.

1. rockfish

rockfish Member

yeah its pretty good stuff, like steelheader said it has a certain shine to it, just got back from fishing the quilcene river fish out in the chuck stacken up on there way there. gonna be some big ones. I got some seal fur reel covers if anybodys interested. Ben :WINK

2. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Yes indeed.

I do enjoy a little bragging and I also really enjoy other people brag a little. How can you prove a point or gain a perspective without credentials? It doesn's seem probable. Mr. Cutthroat, I enjoyed debating with you and like I would offer to any counterpart, it would be a pleasure to fish someone who shares different opinions on a particular activity. I would hope that everyone would have a different opinion than me only to gain a new perspective and to learn a different way of doing things. I still have a long ways to go you know. Who knows where I will be when I am in my 50's or 60's. Will I still get skunked? No less than anyone else. We are talking about fishing here you know.

TM101

Gee, I thought I stirred the pot!

3. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    You can find pick up a sample of harbor seal around Damon Point or the outer beaches of Ocean Shores and Westport as soon as the Grays Harbor gillnetters have an opening this fall. They seem to fall prey to some kind of brain virus or lead poisoning that causes big holes in their heads. Harbor seals are still protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act, although the extension of that protection didn't make since to me since their population seemed to be increasing 20% per year for a while. Lepto slowed them down just for awhile. The fur is black/gray/white mottled, with the white having a nice sheen but a little short. I used to take samples of the stuff, not legal, but not harming the population in any way. But be sure you get a fresh one because, PU!, you can't approach a month old one from up wind even. I lived out there for the last twenty years and one of my big problems was the dogs loved to roll in dead seal!

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Actually, you want arctic type or harbor seals that are babies (not that I'm saying to go shoot one against ESA). It's just that they're white and their fur has a shine you can't describe. Much better feel then even seal ex. Plus, with the white, you can custom dye, that's if you can find some pre-ESA.

I have my legal sources for all sorts of plummage/fur. Grizzly, Polar Bear, legal Herron, etc. I don't tie alot of atlantics, too much time. I only tie for profit for those willing to pay the high price associated with them. One of these days I'll be able to tie up the really fancy ones that take a couple days tying nonstop 24/7 with all the bells and whistles. lol But back on my point, you can find the legal stuff out there, it's just hard AND EXPENSIVE.

To say that if you buy something pre ESA you're going to start a stir and have more killed illegal is a bit off the mark. Usually that is what causes people to create the aftermarket knockoffs (ie Seal Ex by Poul Jorgenson). When I used my last bit of legal seal fur about 15 years ago, I didn't go out and hire an Inuit (sp?) to go shoot a baby seal for me and send me pelt. I bought dubbing fur/synthetics to use in it's place. Same goes for some of the hard to find/embargoed feathers I use as well. Now, if I find some pre ESA furs/feathers I whore them up like you wouldn't believe. I bought a good quarter pelt of Grizzly and a big swatch (about 1 1/2 foot square) of Polar Bear when they arose. Have possibility to buy what's left of the old polar bear rug when they're done with the reshaping (a guy brought a rug from the early 1900's in for retrofiting into a half mount and I'm getting leftovers hehehe). But, when I run out of polar bear, am I gonna go out an have someone shoot one for me? Nope, I'll go back with either my krystal flash or buck tails.

No preaching, just fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steelheader69
    "You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts."

5. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    What is an Indian Crow? I was just looking at an alevin pattern and the yolk sack originally called for IC. I didn't expect it to be red.

6. Preston

Preston Active Member

It's actually the South American red-ruffed fruit crow, Pyroderus scutatus. They are black birds with bright red breasts who can grow to a length of sixteen inches. There are five subspecies and, while not common, they are rather widespread, from Guyana to Argentina along the eastern slope of the Andes from elevations of 2000 to 8000 feet. The breast feathers are a hot-orange/red at the tips fading to an orange/gold toward the butt.

7. troutman101

troutman101 Member

A menace to South Americans just like the black crow of the U.S. but a very beautiful bird.