Polar Bear Hair

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by jenniferfate, Jun 9, 2007.

1. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Mountain Goat Hair make an excellent substitute for polar bear hair BTW

2. Jerry Arlington

Jerry Arlington Member

Home Page:
    You can legally buy Polar Bear hair from dealers who have leagal rights to purchase and sell. I friend of mine from Spokane bought some for me last year. I haven't tied any flies with it and have misplaced it and can't find the darned stuff. It was a small, like 3X2 inches, for $10.

3. dominic7471

dominic7471 Member

its before the ban of the polar bear selling so you should be fine.... sounds like a cool kit.... it probably has cuban cigars and an ak 47 too! ahahaha

4. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Danielson's polar bear packages contained a rather small patch of hair but it was of pretty good quality; no broken tips, urine stains, etc. Shoff's Sporting Goods in Kent (back when it was a fine fishing and hunting emporium operated by Clarence Shoff of Polar Shrimp fame) carried a full range of Danielson's polar bear. I don't remember how much it cost.
    Cheers,
    Les

5. Speydee

Speydee New Member

Just got registered on here a couple weeks ago and was going through some old posts about polar bear hair, in particular a query about a piece going on ebay posted in late August which apparently sold for about $170. I thought polar bear skin is black, not tan like the picture shows. PB skin is black to maximize warming when out in the sun so buyer beware.

6. FT

FT Active Member

It is a common misconception that polar bear skin is always black. Most of the time it is some shade or brown or tan. These bears don't get their warmth from the sun, they, like other mammals, produce the heat themselves from burning food and their fur insulates and keeps the heat in. Also, polar bear hair can be white or any shade or cream up to what is like a very light tan, and can have all these various shades present on one bear.

7. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I've seen quite a lot of polar bear (skin) living up here and all of the polar bear I have ever seen has black skin, thats how you tell. And it is black to absorb sunlight, even though they are warm blooded they need all the help they can get.

8. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    What are you basing you opinion on your own experience or was it something you have read? And what have you found that works better?

9. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    PB and seal are hard to get but well worth the effort

10. sharpshooter223

sharpshooter223 Member

id just like to say, ak-47's are not illegal. anybody can buy the semi automatic version and for the fully automatic you just have to have the permit that allows you to buy fully automatic weapons.