Polling WFF for a project in my entomology class at UW

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Gary Knowels, Apr 1, 2011.

1. faulke

faulke bozone transplant

Trichoptera - I'm not sure I've seen anything quite like the Mother's Day caddis hatch on the Ruby River. I've never seen so many bugs in my life. It was like fishing in a blizzard, getting pelted by a constant upstream swarm of fluttering caddis. The fish must have been so full that they wouldn't touch anything I threw at them. Regardless of only one fish to hand, it was an incredible experience.

2. orangeradish

orangeradish Eyes to the sky...

My keen angling instincts tell me that this wouldn't suck.

3. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

Adams and I were riding our bikes up into the closed section on Icicle Creek above the Chatter creek guard station two years ago to fish in the upper part when we had to ride through a caddis hatch so thick we were forced to breathe through our noses-it was an uphill stretch, and we were already breathing hard as it was!

4. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I've got two for you. 1. Travelling Sedges in BC. Kump lake, Ernest lake, Knoff Lake and others. Inch long caddis hatching and making their run for the shore, leaving wakes like little motorboats than suddenly there's a large splash and no more bug...
    2. Dragonfly nymphs in ***** Lake, near Eureka Montana. Turn over any piece of wood by the shore and you would see 20 or more of them, an incredible population in a very rich lake. An imitation of the nymph cast is the shallow end of the lake brought strike after strike until I ran out of bugs.

5. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

I forgot Mormon Crickets !!! Very cool !!!

6. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Thanks a lot guys! My professor was quite impressed when I told him that I was able to come up with solid examples of 8 different orders of insects. He was assuming that I would only get the 4 main orders of aquatics (damsel/dragon, caddis, may, and stoneflies).