Polyleaders in lakes?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Jan 4, 2013.

1. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

was wondering about the Furled leader myself. as they are advertised to cast bushy and bead head fly's better ?
    and agree with that my tapered leaders on my sinking lines last a long time. for lakes that is. not the case with sink tip lines for rivers.

2. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

I find that furled leaders seem to turn bigger flies over a little better. Some of it may be in my head, but the ones I have made feel much more like an extension of the fly line.

3. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

"Blue" makes and sells furled leaders. She sent me one last year but I never needed to use it.It looked very well done! If I threw more big streamers or buggers I'd surely look into these "power leaders" for an advantage in turn over. maybe a p.m. to her site could get you some leaders to buy or more info!

4. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Digging up this old thread to update my experience this spring/summer with a 10' fast sinking polyleader on my type 5 sinker. I like it. Casts nice, turns over larger bugs (biggest I fish regularly is a #6 conehead bunny leech) and the biggest benefit . . . no spool memory! Lays out flat right off the reel.

I rig it with 3-4' of 1x or 2x fluoro tippet. I fish it about 20% trolling to scout new areas, 40% casting/stripping, and 40% hanging vertical in 20+ feet of water to target fish feeding on the deeper flats. That's my report.

Irafly and Mark Kraniger like this.
  5. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I have unfortunately sat down next to trout to many times and watched him work vertical magic with that poly leader. I feel I will need to attempt it myself now.

6. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

I have never tried any sort of braided, or laminate leader for stillwater so can't offer opinion about that sort of leader.

No intention of arguing with what others like, or choose to fish, but I do not fish tapered leaders on any of my stillwater lines.

My sinkline leaders can be as short as 5' of straight 2X fluoro. for fishing floating Dragons on a sink line. Or, they can be 5' of 0X with another 3'-5' of 3X-1X fluoro. tippet for stripping patterns. My bobber leaders are generally 2X down to the swivel, then 4X fluoro. from the swivel down to one or two patterns.

For me, I see no advantage in using factory tapered leaders for stillwater applications. Having said that, I believe in, "each to their own". Whatever an angler has confidence in usually works well for them. :)

Randy

Mark Kraniger likes this.