Pontoon attire

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by StiffLegged Van Rossi, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Todd Ripley

Todd Ripley New Member

Good call on the "waders don't make you sink"...I've always wondered why people seem to think that water weighs more in your boots than out of 'em...heck, if you go ass over teakettle in neoprenes the hard part sometimes is getting your feet back down on the bottom since they float up so high!

I wear the same thing in the 'toon as I wear in driftboats, or on the bank...breathable waders with belt.

Fish on...

Todd

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I wear breathable waders over fleece pants, two pair of wool socks and stay warm enough.

I've filled my waders with river water four times, three of them in the winter. As reported in other posts, the water in the waders is no heavier than the water still in the river, and it didn't drag me down or drown me. However, it's colder than a witches t..s! Since this has only happened four times in over 30 years of wading and floating rivers, I don't bother bringing an extra change of clothes, altho it's not a bad idea. I just don't bother hauling a lot of extra stuff with me for incidents that I calculate as unlikely to happen on any given day.

Oh, BTW, I put myself at risk every time I go fishing. However I calculate that the risk is small, and very well worth taking, so I don't sweat it. But some day it might kill me. I think I'll still consider it well worth taking.

Sg

3. StiffLegged Van Rossi

StiffLegged Van Rossi Gonzo Phishin'

Pefect, thanks everyone. Time to hit the river in the winter instead of banking it.

4. GUZ808

GUZ808 New Member

Hey guys I never been fishing from a pontoon or a float tube and looking into getting one but what are the pros and cons of each one?

5. StiffLegged Van Rossi

StiffLegged Van Rossi Gonzo Phishin'

I'd say poontoon = more $$$ but you can float rivers and lakes. Float tubes are for lakes.

If you are going to invest go with a pontoon if you think you may want to hit a river any time soon.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I will ad this. I always make an offering to the river Gods every year (not by choice, they suck me in LOL). Rarely a year I'm not taking a dive in. Will add this.

You'll rarely every fill your waders up, even without a belt on. Now, with the old rubber packs or if you wear your waders way too big, you may have a problem. I think the most water I've filled down was about to my belly button, and then of course some of the water that slowly trickles down. Never a full wader episode except when I used to wear the full rubber waders (do they even still make them? I know they make hip boots of rubber). A belt will help, but I never wear them, unless I'm gear fishing and I have bait boxes on a belt on my waders. What others said is correct, you have same bouyancy in water unless you have neopremes on. Then you'll float higher (except the neopreme booties if you have stockingfoot breathables).

I for one wear layers if I'm winter fishing. I wear a light set of polypropalenes with same made socks. Then a heavier outersock (usually a wool blend) and a pair of wader pants (usually a polar fleece material). Then a Polypro longsleeved shirt with polarfleeced jacket. Then a lightweight rainjacket to toss over if I need it. I normally wear a ball cap, but have a stockinghat and gloves with me if needed (and have had cases where I did).

Bootfoots are the key though. I rarely ever use stockingfoots unless I'm actually wading (and I'm getting lazier as I get older so like the bootfoots anyways when I'm banking as well LOL).