Pontoon boat selection

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by flatpick, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Scott Melton

Scott Melton New Member

You say that you won't run aggresive rivers but from past experience once you get the surge of exitment you will be looking for more rapids our pontoons are a whitewater pontoons these are the same material that we use to build boats for the GrandCanyon excursions. Scott Melton BlackBear Pontoons check out our website I'm sure you will se the difference WWW.BLACKBEARPONTOONS.COM

2. closed_loop

closed_loop Guest

Scott u do make a great boat. I had a chance to use a 10' one on the Sky, and It ran wonderfully thru Boulder drop. Very nimble boat, moved w/ almost no effort. The problem is, I fish from my boat and I can't see myself trying to lay out my line in the eddy just river right of house hock. Your're boats are very nice but for a strictly fishing pontoon boat I dont' need to pay a $1000 for a frameset and pontoons then get nickle and dimed to death for all the extra features that I want. The rivers I fish don't require a huge boat as a matter of fact they are simple class I/II. If I wanted to run a whitewater river I would just get into my 14' AIRE. Anyway I don't want to sound like I'm harping on you're product, that's not it I just have different needs. Good luck on the river and remember ALWAYS USE A PFD ON THE RIVER.
    :THUMBSUP

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Hey Scott, what he's trying to say is he has whitewater boats already, and is an accomplished whitewater guide. I myself have been running catarafts in a pure "whitewater" sense since the mid 80
    s and bought my own in the late 80's. When I say a 12' boat, you hit a big hydraulic or a big rapid, you want as MUCH boat as you can get. I've personally have seen 18' boats get launched by big class IV/V's. I chose a 12' as a one man boat, because I like my boats to be multi functional, and a 12' can be safely arranged as a 2 man boat if needed. But 2 guys on a 10' is a bit crowded and ackward.

Materials aren't what makes the boat, it's the design you use. Since you've run them, running a solid class IV materials of the tube won't help you if the design isn't there. Been doing this for years, and ran bucket boats when I was very young (late 70's/early 80's). Hell, we used to run old rubber bucket boats in solid class IV's. Old military rafts. Once we used a nice self bailer made a world of difference. Then, once I ran with a friend on his cataraft, I said goodbye to rafts. I remember a guy in our whitewater group built his own tubes. Saw alot of experimentation back then. Triple tube boats, one 22" tube with two small 8" tubes at base of tubes. Double tubed and quadruple tubed cats. Funny how they all go back to the single tubed cat and a few of the double tubes. You do make a good tube. But I love my Aire's, and I have a top notch frame builder who builds inexpensively for me. So I'm pretty much set. I have one of the original Aire Ocelot's. I mean ORIGINAL. 16' with segmented tubes. It is a machine. I know I already have a line of 4-5 guys who want the tubes if I sell them. Funny how people love those old Ocelots. But if you go to different bulletin boards, you'll see I preach if you want a boat to fish from, buy a good boat. If you only plan to float mellow rivers, buy one of these little pontoon boats. Why overkill when you don't need it? Plus, alot of guys don't want the adrenaline rush of whitewater.

You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts.

4. Scott Melton

Scott Melton New Member

I would have to disagree with you about nickle and dime to death if you were to compare are boats to a bucks Bags 10ft try $1200.00 and a 10Ft outcast is $1499.00 are 10Ft with 7FT B/D oars and open oar locks $1178.50 and a 10Ft cat boat is $1305.50 hardly nickle and dimed Scott Melton

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Scott, I think he means he can get by with say an 8-9' boat. You can pick them up for maybe $400. No, they aren't whitewater class, but most guys move moderate rivers like the Nooch, if not less. He wasn't saying the bigger boats. You don't need a 10' for a one man if all you're doing is floating small moderate rivers (hell, even bigger rivers too). Just when you get in to technical stuff, you want a little more tube in the water digging into the waves. That's all he was saying. He doesn't need a boat of that caliber. When you get that big you do pay more (hence the $1K+ price tag). Most guys can get by with an 8-9' boat, and aren't even willing to try hairy water. They will walk easy shoots, just because they're slightly rough. Prime example. There are tons of guys who have the small Buck's and Outcasts, they only float from Morgan's down to Minnie. Won't go any further. Nice easy water. Won't go past Minnie. Since they only float that style water, don't need anything extreme. Why I ask (what's your price range and what types of water you plan to fish and do you plan to fish from the boat standing up). Some people only need a small cheap boat. I don't tell people to buy an expensive boat if they don't need it. Why waste your money on a boat of yours and the Steelheaders quality when you can get buy with a less expensive boat that serves all your needs? I know it doesn't help you financially, but makes sense to those having to buy. I only buy whitewater grade boats. I buy the tubes and custom make my frames. Most don't want to get that extreme. So be it.

You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts.

6. closed_loop

closed_loop Guest

Hey Scott I didn't mean to offend you, I think your boats are top notch. But I think steelheader summed it up for me. I have my big water boat so I dont need a high end fishing craft. I was just saying that for what I payed for my Skeeter it fit my budget and my needs. I someday hope to own a lager and slightly bigger water fishing boat but as it stands I dont do much steelheading and therefore don't need such a boat. Again sorry if I offended you.

7. lazouave

lazouave New Member

Ken Thompson
    Two words. Buck's Bag. the best period. Make sure anchor is a lest 4 lbs to hold even in lakes during the wind. Good fishing my friend.