Pontoon boats; transporting them?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Jeff Hale, Jan 2, 2006.

1. dp

dp ~El Pescador

get a suburban. My fish cat fits in fully assembled and with the wheel intact. I made a small wooden ramp to roll it in and out. Works great. I also use the ramp to go over the small gate bars at Lenice. Up the rap and over the other side. I like keeping my boat in once piece.
    I also saw in Cabelas there is a excellent wheel transport system designed for canoes. place a couple of 1x4's across it, strap the boat down and I think it would work very well. Being that it would be centered under the boat, it would transport more balanced than the wheel assembly I currently have (like pushing a wheel barrel).

Either way, if you want to fish bad enough, you'll figure out something.

Less then two months before the east side opener. Look out Lenice...

thanks-dp

2. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

O.K. looks like Superfly is in the market for a trailer so I have a question concerning transporting toons.

Some of you are hauling them on roof racks, which would be my preference. So,,,how about if two guys fishing toons on roof racks. Can you stack them and eliminate having to use a shuttle service? This would only be for the length of a day float.

Stacking two on a trailer is not an option. I am thinking motorhome to BC towing a small car. Fishin buddy drives a Volvo wagon. Figuring the average toon weighs about 70lbs, lifting them should not be a problem for two guys. Getting the second one up there may be. Has anyone done this?

3. skewy

skewy New Member

About a year ago I purchased an EZ-packer for my pontoon. I have no complaints with it so far. Very easy to load and unload and I can inflate my pontoon before I leave home. I paid about $325. Here is their website: http://easypacker.com/

4. BertBrehm

BertBrehm Two hands, baby.

Throw money at the problem -- Trailwater

Trailwater makes a pontoon/raft trailer with lots of lockable storage for gear and rods. Its has a carry rack for your scooter/motorcycle. There is even an option for a small winch!

http://www.trailwater.com/

I've never seen one or used one, but it looks sweet. Expensive.

5. Christian Brewer

Christian Brewer Super Slacker

I saw a guy with one of those EZ-packers on the river one day last year, they are definitely sweet.

Christian

6. Elkman

Elkman Ryan

I like the design of the Easypacker, but my boat isn't on their list of approved boats. I have a Buck's Bronco Extreme 11fter.

later
    Ryan

7. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

EZ Packer

That thing is sweet. Thanks guys. Now all I need to do is sell the drifter & find a nice toon.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave New Member

Nothin' fancy here.

I carry my 9' Dave Scadden pontoon boat into Lenice and elsewhere using two 20" bicycle wheels fitted into an aluminum tubular axle. It packs much like a wheelbarrow (only with TWO wheels). Simply strap the axle to the 'toon boat and you're off.

The wheels fit into aluminum bosses that a friend made on a lathe. The bicycle axles are threaded into the bosses and they are secured with eye bolts which serve as tie-down anchors.

Total cost: two 20" wheels from The Salvation Army = $5 (They don't even match!)

IMO, anything with a single wheel isn't worth building. Too awkward!

SuperDave

9. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

EZ Packer

O.K. I ordered a custom EZ Packer to hook up to the motor home and still be able to plug in my draw bar so I can tow the Suzuki behind it. Did all of this over the phone/ internet while we were on the road. Made a slight detour to Salt Lake City on the way home and picked it up.

Ed made some last minute modifications to the rig to compensate for a minor glitch neither of us had thought of. Great guy to deal with.

This will be able to fit not only on the motor home, but on my Grand Cherokee as well.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

10. Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore New Member

For the original poster, have you talked to the manufacturer/retailer of your pontoon type? I'm sure they've heard the question before.

For my Scadden 'Can you put the transport wheel in the box' was all I had to say. It clicks on the deck and wheel away/unclick - put on rear deck and reclick anchor and fish away. For the toon's 50lb weight I'd rather have a single wheel than the lateral bobbing dynamic of dual wheels commented upon in another post. (think of pushing a 2 wheel wheelbarrow vs. single, you can walk smoother over rougher terrain with a single.....key's a decent wheel of reasonable OD and good placement on the toon)

For speyfisher's q, I've commonly seen pontoon's double stacked on any type of vehicle (cars/SUV's) for takeouts and even down the road etc. Typically they tie the two together as one on the ground first, then hoist them up and lash to vehicle.

11. theworm

theworm Member

I also evaluted situations such as Lenice and Squalicum. You can buy toting accessories for your pontoon for $$$$$ or buy a good float tube for about the same price. As a result, I went back to fishing out of a float tube. My WaterSkeeter sits in the garage most of the time now when fishing still waters. I know this doesn't answer your question, but it is something you may want to consider.