Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pontoon boats...

Boats 
4K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  shgrier 
#1 ·
I am thinking of getting a pontoon boat soon. I have a float tube and have found there are times i would like to move a little faster/stay out of cold water. What brands do any of you have experience with and what should i look for???

#7 ·
Dave Scadden Pontoons, he's been in the game since the beginning. They are expensive, I bought an older model no longer in production, brand new, for half the price it would normally cost. They tend to be longer than most pontoons, making them a little faster and more stable. If you plan on floating rivers, make sure it's rated for it! I hear Outcast and Buck's Bags, make great product as well.

#10 ·
Give a good look at a kayak,you are dry,lots of storage,faster than a pontoon boat,and you are going foward.The new boats are very stable and will make you a good fishing platform for the money spent....pontoon boats are good also,but now that I have a kayak would never go back....if you have any questions fell free to ask.....Islandfisherman

#14 ·
Under 600.00 is undoubtably the Bucks Bags Southfork(Stainless Steel 1" diameter frame,Polyurathane bladders,5 yr warranty)

600-1100.00 is a no contest winner Outcast Pac 800(1 1/4" diameter powder coated alum.frame,polyurathane bladders,internal achor system,10 yr warranty,etc......

1100.00+ is either the Skookumchuck Steelheader(1 1/4" galv steel frame,Top of the line white water pontoons,etc...) or Osprey(1 1/4" alum.frame,Top of the line white water pontoons,etc...) both models are 1400.00 due to rise in cost of metals...

For the type of fishing I do, I opted for the Pac 800. In a couple weeks, I will probably get the Southfork as a second pontoon for come along friends...

Good luck!

PS, if your lucky, you might be able to find a close-out Pac 800 for 600.00 like I did.

#15 ·
Flyfishsteel said:
Under 600.00 is undoubtably the Bucks Bags Southfork(Stainless Steel 1" diameter frame,Polyurathane bladders,5 yr warranty)

600-1100.00 is a no contest winner Outcast Pac 800(1 1/2" diameter powder coated alum.frame,polyurathane bladders,internal achor system,10 yr warranty,etc......

1100.00+ is either the Skookumchuck Steelheader(1 1/2" galv steel frame,Top of the line white water pontoons,etc...) or Osprey(1 1/2" alum.frame,Top of the line white water pontoons,etc...) both models are 1400.00 due to rise in cost of metals...

For the type of fishing I do, I opted for the Pac 800. In a couple weeks, I will probably get the Southfork as a second pontoon for come along friends...

Good luck!

PS, if your lucky, you might be able to find a close-out Pac 800 for 600.00 like I did.
Puget Sound Fly Co. has a Southfork on sale for a great price. I believe they ordered it, then someone backed out. Anyway, I saw it last week and I remember it being quite a bargain. They are site sponsors. Call them at 253-839-4119

#16 ·
I was just a GI Joes yesterday (GASP), and they had a PAC 800 for $450 with the anchor/motormount setup and flyrod holder. Not sure, but they usually throw in a set of fins to boot. Seemed a good deal to me. I've got 2 Outcast Fishcat 8's right now and am very happy with them. One is setup to the hilt with a Fishingbuddy 1200 and a trolling motor.

Even without these accoutrements, it's still a heavy boat, though, as compared to a Scadden or even a Bucks. :hmmm:

My 2¢

Sean
Sultan

#22 ·
Pontoon boats...transport

How do those of you who have pontoon boats transport them? Do you inflate/deflate each trip and haul inside your vehicle or leave inflated and tie to top of rig or haul on a trailer or?

I ask because I have a small Achilles LT-2 raft that I've had for 20 years. I thought about getting a pontoon, but besides my raft still being in perfect condition, the pontoon seems like logistical nightmare. My raft rolls into a 30# duffle bag, but I can have it inflated and ready to drift in less than 10 minutes, besides being able to carry it anywhere. My friend brought his pontoon - Outcast 800 I think - on a trip with me, and I was ready to launch 25 minutes before he was.

If I change out or upgrade, I've been thinking a Watermaster might better serve my interest of extreme portability, easy and quick to be ready, even if the payload and speed on the water is less.

What are your thoughts?

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#23 ·
Salmo,

I keep mine inflated and put it on the truck that way - just put some tiedown straps across it - no problem. Unfortunately, I foolishly bought a stepside Ranger back in '99, and the boat fits ON the bed rather than in it - won't make that mistake again, when I go to replace this truck. :mad:

One thing I'm careful of, though, is to let some air out if I'm going over the pass - I fear that the change in altitude could cause the bladder to overstretch the covering and split it. :eek:

My buddy has a Ford Exploder, and he deflates his Scadden 8'er about 70% and it slides right into the back with the backseats folded down. We can even fit mine in on top of it if we deflate both down to about 10%.

You're right, though, a pontoon can be a hassle to transport, at times...

Sean
Sultan

#24 ·
Jason Baker said:
PAC 800? $450? Doesn't sound right.....
Jason, I think I misread your post - my apologies. After seeing Salmo's post:

Salmo_g said:
Snip.....My friend brought his pontoon - Outcast 800 I think - on a trip with me, and I was ready to launch 25 minutes before he was....Snip
I realize that I must have been looking at an Outcast Discovery 8. Two very different boats, I realize. Still, $450 isn't a bad price.

Sorry for the confusion! :eek:

Sean
Sultan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.