pontoon footpegs

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by SpeySpaz, Feb 6, 2009.

1. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I have a Skookum Steelheader, and love the boat, but I've noticed that you really don't have anything to brace off against with your feet while rowing.
    anybody have a creative solution for this?

I've considered looking for some of those flip-down footpegs like they use on the highway bars of motorcycles, but that's the only thought I've come up with yet that will still allow me to hop back up on the platform pretty easily, because I'm in and out of the boat a lot when steelheading.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

SS, seek out used wheelchair parts...some models have fold up foot platforms that bolt onto the round frame supports. Might fit your needs.

3. Gatorator

Gatorator Member

Mumbles. That's a good idea. :thumb:

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Every now and then a blind squirrel comes across an acorn!

5. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, that was pretty good. I got nothin'...

6. SpeySpaz

that's a really good idea Ed, if I do that I hope it doesn't remind me of my job every time I set me feet in 'em!
    Maybe Jerry knows a trick or two, he's done a lot of whitewatering in this boat and probably rigged something up for his.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    You don't really need footpegs. You shouldn't ever need to oar that hard that you need footpegs. BUT, there is an easy solution, and EASY to modify. In fact, it's what I used. Just get yourself another strap. One like you use to strap the pontoons to the frame. Just put it around the front of the frame where you'll be getting in and out. Make sure you have a strap that's extra long. Nice thing, you don't need to pull the strap tight. You want it to hang, since I know there will be a tendancy to have your legs longer then the frame. This way, when you need it you simply push your feet forward and your feet will brace against the strap. If I'm not clear, I can see about taking a pic of my boat frame with a strap. But if you have a standard steelheader frame, you'll simply loop the strap around the front corners of the frame (where it's open so you can climb in and out). I say keep it longer so it drops down and it out of your way so you can still get in and out.

8. SpeySpaz

Eureka! thx Jerry, I'll give er a try. No pix necessary, I got a good visual on it.
    wasn't so much about pulling like an Olympic rower, but having my feet braced off makes it a little easier on the old back, and steadier going through choppy chutes.
    appreciate the advice. That's a good one.
    Bob

9. Gatorator

Gatorator Member

So Jerry, what do you do when that dangling strap hooks an underwater branch attached to a 400 year old Douglas Fir log? :hmmm:

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    LOL Gatorater, if you set it up the way I instructed (or the best I could do it w/o a visualization) you won't ever hook up. it dangles down to the standing platform, not into the water. Sorry, a steelheader has a standard whitewater type frame. Which means it has bars that stick out a bit. So when I say the strap hangs, it doesn't even come close to the water, it will at most bunch up at the feet. It's not like your typical fishing frames on an outcast, bucks, etc where your footpegs are at waters level. The frame piece you attach to sits a good 12" above the water. So the dangling will be down to the floor at most.

11. Cataraft fishing

Cataraft fishing Member

ss,

do you put the 2nd seated frame in front or behind the rowing seat?

12. SpeySpaz

It's a steelheader so it's a single.
    I think the "steelhead guide" is the double, and the rower usually sits upstream.
    hey, welcome to the board. I like your handle.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    No, the steelheader guide model is simply the 10'. The 9' is the original steelheader. The steelheader II is the 12' two seater. I actually have a cargo module that I can put a second on my 10' guide model. But a 10' boat really isn't that big. It'll handle 2, don't get me wrong. But a 12' is about as small as I'd go with two people.

14. Cataraft fishing

Cataraft fishing Member

I was just curious. I have the Guide II, 12 foot. I like to sit behind the 'guest' and use that frame to brace my feet upon. I'm long legged so I get away with it. I miss it when I go alone, so if you do find a simple plan, please share.

Another person thought I could run a PVC pipe accross with a strap down the middle as a brace, but that seemed too wobbly in my mind. Maybe it would work.

Thanks for the welcome.

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Cataraft fishing, you nailed it, just take the PVC out. What I was talking about. Once you put your feet into the strap, it'll pull tight and won't be wobbly. You don't need something that solid. Key to any "drift" style boat is simple small oar strokes. You don't need big heavy pulls. Put you just described my method minus the PVC. You can use it, but the PVC will eventually get weak and break. That strap will be just fine for years. Plus one quick pull and the strap can be tucked away. Trust me, it works great. Been doing it for years. But using a bigger custom frame on my Steelheader Guide. So has a metal post as part of the frame, so no need for the strap anymore.