Pontoon Shopping/Building

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Wirednoodle, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    pvsprme, that's pretty cool. Was wondering when someone would make a composite frame. Wonder if the holdup was making the connection points. Know my cataract oars have held up to some pretty bad abuse. Have had them a long time. I may contact them myself and see what the priceranges are. Thanks for posting that one pvsprme.

2. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Yeah, I was piqued by that. I'm guessing the connetion points will have to be some kind of snap or screw "T" fitting, possibly with internal steel or aluminium sleeve for strength.

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Yeah, you're probably right. I was thinking those metal pieces that have the threaded post in them. Wonder how much testing they've done with it. I bet they'd have to have an internal piece. Just in case it's hit, there isn't play at all. Shatter is only option (depending on the composite).

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

In cycling a direct hit as such is termed "catastrophic failure". Scary when you think of descending a climb at 30-50mph and experience "catastrophic failure". Not sure that I'd like taking my chances in the middle of a river on one based on my current level of experience. I do still have a small fleet of bikes, three of which are full carbon frames and they have made all others obsolete except for occasional nostalgia rides.

You guys are 'toon frame geeks!

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    LOL Mumbles. Ah, ok. Thanks for answering that one for us. I know in the cataract oars they are awesome. But they are pretty thick, and probably the right amount of diameter vs length to add strength. But yeah, if it's that way, think I'll stick with my galvanized. ;)

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    And Mumbles, yeah I am a pretty hardcore toon freak. I'm going to see if I can do a frame capture on some old whitewater videos I have from an old group I rafted with. Can show some of the experimental tubes we made back then. Some pretty weird stuff. Not many cataraft manufacturers backthen, so guys built their own. Pretty oddball designs. I think I've had a good 20 or so custom frames built for myself. I've done some pretty weird things with them. I was tempted to learn how to weld, but think I'd have a yard full of frames in no time if I did. LOL

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Jerry, thanks to the recommendations of you, GT and river elf (sorry if I omitted any others) I got some 7.5' cataract mini mags for my toon. I'll say that they are burly for sure as I've been hanging from them like a 225# gorilla, they flex but barely. If a whole frame was made of that type of material it would be tough as hell and I'd consider it except for one thing...WEIGHT. Those frames would likely be way heavier than stainless, steel or aluminum. Of course catastrophic failure is much more critical in a carbon bike frame that in places is only an impregnated layer or two of carbon fiber thick, not like those cataracts that could be use to beat a bear senseless. (not that I want to try that by risking a bear encounter, I'm just mumbling)

8. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Active Member

Home Page:
    Let me know when you decide on something, i'd like to take a look (I'm out in Hillsboro)

9. Wirednoodle

Wirednoodle wanderlusted

All sorts of info scattered through here. Thanks for all the responses!

I'll hollar at you when I get it complete veilside!