Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pontoon Transport - Thoughts? (Pics included)

Boats 
2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  flyrig 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, just bought my first pontoon (used NFO but couldn't pass up the deal, especially since it's like new). The toons are 10.5' long. Broken down, it'll fit in my Outback with room to spare. I have a standard rack on the car and the raft will sit on top with each toon stradling the side rails. I can strap it down no problem. My question is...does anyone else do this? In my searches, I've read warnings from folks who say it could rip the whole rack off, etc., etc. I'm uploading a pic. Let me know what you think. I've carried all kinds of stuff on roof racks (mattresses, canoes, etc.). It's just hard for me to believe this would be problematic. Side note: I'll be traveling I-5 and could buy extension bars for the roof if needed...Thanks in advance!

Car Sky Vehicle Tire Hood

Sky Car Cloud Vehicle Land vehicle

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't like the looks of that at all-something bad waiting to happen. Get the extension bars and eliminate the possibility of that sliding off the side. Meeting a big truck on the road at a closing speed of 140mph will put more stress on the boat than you might imagine. Jeff touched on this-the problem with the boat expanding and contracting due to changes in elevation and temperature. Because of this I have used only strong bungees to tie my pontoon down with for a dozen years now. I have hauled my 'toon for thousands of miles with these and they never get loose. The secret is to double bungee each corner and not depend on a single bungee to secure your boat.

You might consider buying a small trailer from Harbor Freight and hauling your pontoon on that. That has several advantages. The boat is out of the airstream and not subject to the forces found on top of your rig. You can attach a locking utility box to the trailer to free up inside space and maybe hold your wet gear and finally there are many uses for a small trailer other than hauling your boat.

#11 ·
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Land vehicle Wheel

I've transported my Buck's Bronco over the pass (Snoqualmie) many times at freeway speeds. I use two motorcycle cam lock straps with the buckle on each end pulled over the frame of the boat and the strap running under the crossbars. By pulling down on the inflated boat while reefing on the tag end of the cam strap I can safely secure the boat in place. The seat faces the rear. Works great.

#16 ·
I have that exact boat and it does work well setting on top of my SUV. I have a Thule rack that have cross bars slightly longer than width of toons. As suggested turn it around so seat is not catching the wind and you should be in good shape. I do check the air pressure if I jump in elevation to be safe. I doubt you get replacements toons if you have blow out. Have fun!

#19 ·
Thanks. Yeah I'm screwed if the bladders go. They have only been used a few times, and the price was too good to pass up. Took the risk. Worst case scenario...I get new toons at the discounted rate, which I've already talked to Dave about.

#20 ·
Jerry, that looks like something from a sci-fi movie. LOL. Shaun, I used to do that a lot, and still do it with a float tube in the vehicle. But, if I am gaining altitude, I ALWAYS dump some air first. Many times, I have dumped a bunch of air and when I arrived at a lake like Tacklach or Leech, not had to top off my tubes. There's a lesson there.

#21 ·
Thankfully that boat didn't lose much air. Usually if I planned on a long drive with altitude changes I deflated the tubes and just left frame on top. I used to tow my travel trailer and tossed the big cat on the roof.

#23 ·
Thanks. Yeah I'm screwed if the bladders go. They have only been used a few times, and the price was too good to pass up. Took the risk. Worst case scenario...I get new toons at the discounted rate, which I've already talked to Dave about.
My boat is pretty old and still holds air . I keep them pontoons inflated and use 303 a couple of times each season. This has been a great boat for me. I would like to upgrade the oars as the originals are hard take apart. Enjoy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.