Pontoons vs. Raft: Opinions please

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Tom Savelle, Sep 24, 2007.

1. FLGator

FLGator Member

Tom,
    If you're going to be doing day trips trouting from the boat a drift boat would be my recommendation. There are many choices. Enjoy the journey!
    Take care,
    Chris

2. TWD

TWD Travis

I would recommend starting with some rentals from Red's and check out the difference from some first hand rowing experience. I believe the rent both rafts and Clackacrafts and the river is really good for someone without a ton of experience on the sticks

3. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

I have a background in whitewater rafting (was a photographer, and attended casacade whitewater school three years on the payette). My step father is an ACA cert Intstructer training in whaitewater and sea kayaking etc.

I bring this up because the differnce in terms between this community and the fishing community are mind boggling.

Why do you all call them toons instead of cats?

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Dustin, most of the boats on the markets aren't true "catarafts", so most call them toons. Think they got their names after the aluminum boats people use on the lakes. I know most of us in the whitewater world (I used to run whitewater with crews professionally) called them catarafts.

But most "pontoon boats" are usually just oversized floattubes. Not really whitewater grade, and nothing I'd truly want to run whitewater in.

5. Bubba

Bubba New Member

I have a 13 whitewater raft made by Hyside, with a break down frame. It is great for running white water, and you can launch it anywhere. It will haul 2 people, food and gear for a week long camping/fishing expidition. If you decide to get a raft I would recomend gettting one with a self bailing floor. Mine does not have one and I do a lot of bailing.

Driftboats are nice to fish from and a lot easier to row, but you have to have room at home to park a trailer, and I have never figured out how to get a driftboat in a helecoptor.

Bob

6. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Why would you buy a raft and not fish from it? That's half the purpose...

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Jason, there are guys who buy a driftboat and not fish from it. That's my point. Guys will buy boats simply to transport them (that's forgiving like an inflatable) and not use the fishing options that are installed on the frame they've bought. And yes, I've seen it MANY a times (and have fished with several guys who had them and I was the first one to fish on the move in them).

8. BigSkyDave

BigSkyDave New Member

Now if you were soloing and wanted to fish while floating you'd be way ahead with a pontoon boat. I've had all three. With the raft or drift boat boat if you let go of an oar to fish you'll start spinning down the river. Pretty tough for drag free fishing! With the pontoon boat I can float and fish at the same time, one hand on an oar the other on the rod, stick the rod in my teeth is things get too exciting. If the fish is large enough that can get exciting too. Not recommended for denture wearers.