Poor camping etiquette by fisherman

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by patrick barta, Aug 17, 2009.

1. David Crowne

David Crowne Member

Would a shotgun load of rocksalt penetrate the 22 layers of premium Orofice waders???:D

2. FLGator

FLGator Member

I'm with you Pan.

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

I'm inclined to say it was rude, disrespectful, unwarranted behavior if another route was available to them.

Not too many years back, my better half and I had pulled our 5th wheel to a well known campground in Bishop, Ca. where we had stayed many times before. We always reserved the same far corner spot because of its beauty and privacy.
    One morning while we were sitting at the picnic table beside out trailer having our breakfast, a rather large Teutonic woman in her late fifties walked around the corner of our trailer with her shepard and proceeded to let her dog take a huge dump about two feet behind our trailer in front of us without even so much as an "excuse me".:eek:
    She made no attempt to apologize or clean up her dogs excrement. We both watched in disgusted awe as she wandered back to her large motorhome in the next row.
    I had no alternative other than to scoop up sizeable, still steaming poundage into a plastic bag and deliver it to her motorhome doorstep where I explained politely that I would be more than happy to FEED it to her or her husband should the incident happen again. Needless to say, we had no more doggie visits.

The moral of this is; Be polite, but don't take shit from anybody/anything" :thumb:

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Hey D!CK W@D, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, we are camping here and you are not invited. Give me some damn space, my family is here. Don't play that if I don't look at them or speak to them they won't notice me tromping through their campsite bullshit.

I don't visit Disneyworld with a flyrod or tent!

5. ReelFlyBro

ReelFlyBro Team Short Bus

I would have said, "hey, how's it going" greeted him and offered a beer, introduced my family, and shot the shit with him. but apparently being friendly wasnt an option for you. sad........

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

offered him a beer and introduced him to your family? Dude! smoke another bowl. :rofl:

7. Randall Dee

Randall Dee Castaway

Home Page:
    No sense leaving the gated community at home.

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Hey, there is a solid way to get a stretch of water all to yourself. Being the Vice President or President gets that done! Let us know your platform, good luck.

9. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Just a comment on a possibility for them not saying anything to you while passing though. Maybe they were just trying to get through without disturbing you. You know if they don't say anything then you might not notice them. So it could be that they were being polite in their own way, by trying to not disturb you too much. Maybe they did not notice the access around your site. Who knows, I'm not giving an opinion on what I think because I wasn't there. I'm just throwing out some ideas or possibilities that have not been brought up yet.

10. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

I encounter more rudeness at Costco or Walmart than this. More frequent and for longer duration. If you expect fly fishermen to be better than average, that's the real problem.

What good would you have accomplished by getting into a verbal or physical confrontation? I'm not saying he wasn't rude, or you should never have any say about people encroaching your space.

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

iagree

I agree with Charles. You lost all credibility with me with your repeated "orifice" remarks. After which I doubt the situation was like you say. Next time someone comes "close" to your camp offer up some hot coffee and act like a grown up.

12. patrick barta

patrick barta Love'em - N - Leave'em

Well that's just it... I do expect fly fisherman to be better than average. I consider it a fraternity of like minded people who respect nature, the environment and other people.

What if you were fishing a hot steelhead run and some bozo steps in underneath you. He doesn't say a word, doesn't ask permission, just starts fishing as if you weren't there. Isn't that the same thing as what I'm talking about here. Wouldn't all of you be pissed off??

13. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

No, I don't think you were out of line one bit. To me, the Orifice profile was somthing that had nothing to do with it though. I have had this happen to me before, and not because I was camping on the trail, river bank, or on the way to the outhouse. You just have to shake your head at those that have no idea, and try to deal with it in whatever manner you see fit. Those that say it's no big deal, let them think that way. To those where it is an issue of someone trampling through your campsite because it is in a stright line to where they are going, I'm on your side.

A campsite is what? 12x12? You would think there would be some common courtesy and give way.

I would hope that those who say it is no biggie, or say your panties are wadded up, are the same who feel being low holed is okay, or doesn't mind when someone decides to fish in thier back pocket, or that river etiquitte is over rated. To me it all starts when you wake up on the water. Show some class. If not for the sport, for youself.

14. patrick barta

patrick barta Love'em - N - Leave'em

Oh.... about the "orifice" thing. Christ... don't you people have a sense of humor?

I have a friend who owns a bunch of Orvis stuff and I like to flip him shit about it. There's just something about a fly fishing company who also sells women's panties and handbags that I find funny.

15. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

So I am suppose to know that you are joking and not bashing someone that wears a particular brand of gear. How the hell am I suppose to determine that?