Poor mans motorized dubbing brush invention

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Yes, The dimmer switch should work on your fan motor as a dimmer switch is what I use on my ceiling fan in my Den. You can look at the machine my friend built for my classes on my site to get an idea of how to set up your machine. Just make sure that if you do use a dimmer switch on your machine, it is the type that pushes "on & off"the twist of the knob just controls the motor's speed. I might add one word of caution in here also. Do not use a motor that you cannot stop with your bare hands and do not wear rings when you are using these machines. This is why I wouldn't go any bigger than a sewing machine motor. The other thing that I don't like is a foot control. I like to have my hands in control of the machine so, everything is set up within fingertip reach. The machine my friend made for me makes a 16" brush.
    Hope this answers your questions.
    Randy

2. Randy Diefert

bfic, The swivel does not turn as fast as the motor and will "lock up"
    I use it kind of like when you use the "dubbin' Twirler" that's out on the market. it helps with tightening the rope evenly. I only use those cheapo Danielson company ball bearing ones though.
    Hope this helped.

3. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
    .......your idea makes me think a motorized draftsman's eraser
    would work too.

4. ddman

ddman New Member

Randy..I scored on a sewing machine motor at a thrift store. Is your dimmer switch wired in in the place of the foot pedal?

5. Randy Diefert

Yes it is,and it has to have the knob placed in an area that you can control the knob(speed) with your left hand while your index finger starts the rotation of the hook that the twists the stainless wire. I'm sending you a pm.
    Randy