Popper Hookups

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stuart_Stringer, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

using a two handed retrieve with the rod tucked into your armpit takes away the ability to trout set. this way you will have a 100% hookup rate on the fish you hook.

poppers always result in boils and follows where the fish come nowhere near getting hooked. enjoy the show and savor the fewer number of hookups.

2. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

poppers always result in boils and follows where the fish come nowhere near getting hooked. enjoy the show and savor the fewer number of hookups.[/quote]
    I always enjoy the boils, but my biggest thrill is watching a Coho fin coming through the water after my popper. Never had a coho take it but the thrill is still there.

3. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

It's hard to imagine a 100% hook-up rate with any form of fly fishing unless you stop after the first fish is hooked and landed.

Most of the time a salmon or cutt isn't even trying to immediately ingest a slider pattern on the surface, rather it's attempting to injure or stun it like it was natural bait fish prey. The real "eating" happens when the injured bait fish drifts helplessly down into the water column,... then comes the full on slash and turn hit. Unfortunately your buddy fishing the subsurface pattern next to you is the one getting the solid hook-up after you lured them in.

4. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

That makes a lot of since DB. Thanks for that.

5. Stuart_Stringer

Stuart_Stringer Active Member

The coho surface chase down really is the best! Interestingly enough I have a way better popper hookup ratio on coho than with SRC using the same techniques.

I can at least eliminate the trout set as the issue, I always use the double hand retrieve. I feel I can get much more variety in my retrieve, and it is nice having the extra control with a solid grip on the line at all times.

This last Saturday I hit up a local beach and only had one boil on the popper. I switched to subsurface the dark side and tied on a 2" long chum baby. Due to the low angle of the sun and some patches of calm water I could watch my fly from about 30 ft away... man there was a lot of interest!! Lots of follows and late refusals when the fish would turn away within a few inches of the fly. There were also a bunch of little nips at the tail of the fly. Most of the hits were quite soft, if I couldn't see the action I probably wouldn't have even noticed. When I saw the chase I just kept stripping waiting to feel the hit or see the flash of the mouth opening before trying to set the hook, but nothing!! I think I need to work on my Jedi strike skills! Haha!

JesseC likes this.
  6. Stuart_Stringer

DB - I wonder if using a subsurface fly as a dropper behind the popper would do the trick? After the first hit on the popper stop the strip and let the dropper start to sink? The ol bait and switch??

7. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Are two flies/hooks allowed in the salt?

8. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

I believe Roger Stephens and others have posted about the 2 fly slider/dropper system.
    It is legal to use 2 barbless single point hooks (ie- 2 flies) in saltwater (quote from the saltwater regs below). The double hook herring rig has been used for years.

HOOk AND LINE ANGLING - Unless noted
    differently, only one line with up to 2 hooks is
    allowed.
    Barbless hooks are required for all species
    in Marine Areas 5-13, except forage fish jig
    gear.
    When fishing for SALMON in Marine Areas 1-13,
    single-point barbless hooks must be used.

9. Stuart_Stringer

By my reading it looks like you can use up to two single point barbless hooks on a single line. Anyone else get something different?

Alexander likes this.
  10. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Oh man I'm going with a popper + flatwing dropper for all my SRC fishing from now on

11. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

IMHO it would be an extremely effective combination with the flatwing dropper probably getting most of the "action".

I just started having three rods strung in my boat. Two rods have floating lines with one rod having two top water patterns(squid and sand lance) and second rod with a totally different single top water pattern(pile worm) and the third rod with a fast sinking line with ussually a baitfish pattern. When sea-run cutthroat slash/boil after two top water setup and no hookups, I switch to the top water pile worm setup and have had successful hookups.

In the early 1990's for winter resident coho I used a two fly combination of Ferguson Green/silver and pearl flashabou krill patterns using a sinking line. Sometimes I would hookup a fish on the front pattern. As I was bringing in the fish, a second fish would grab the rear pattern. Other resident coho often will follow a hooked fish almost all the way up to a boat. Plus, a hooked resident coho will often regurgitate contents of it's stomach. Since winter resident coho are often schooled up, other resident coho will be looking for the "scrapes" which could be amphipods or baitfish.

Roger

12. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    My point is that if they have taken the fly to begin with, I rarely miss them due to taking the fly out of their mouth with what some here are calling a "trout set".

sopflyfisher likes this.
  13. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

I always use multiple flies.
    [​IMG]

Stuart_Stringer and golfman44 like this.
  14. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

CLO, Boy you really got to your false cast with that set up.

CLO likes this.
  15. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Talk about chuck and duck