Poppers

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by GAT, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

GAT, Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler is great for filling the hook slot. Very easy to sand smooth. After a couple coats of paint it's impossible to tell the slot is there at all.

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Does Elmer's wood filler work with dense foam? I recently bought some of the expensive UV goop so I'll probably try that the next time I make one of those style of hard body poppers.

Right now I'm working with the closed cell, soft foam bodies and rebuilding some of my old cork body poppers. The feather kickers look like crap and the rubber legs have rotted away but the bodies are fine. So I'm cutting off all the crap and starting over with the body.

I don't like how hackle feathers shrink up on surface poppers so I'm changing to buck tail fibers. They keep their shape when wet.

I figure I need to rebuild a dozen or so poppers.

So... no time to mess with the slotted body poppers at this time.

3. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

The wood filler works fine with foam. Use epoxy or CA glue to attach the body to the hook, allow to dry, and then go in with the wood filler. I use a fingernail file to smooth the surface after it's dry. Very professional looking after paint. The three small poppers are hard foam. The large popper is carved balsa.

Attached Files:

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Once upon a time in a fly tying room in a different galaxy, I used cork for all my poppers.
    Eventually, the quality of cork went the way of the wild goose and was replaced with foam and plastic.

Fortunately, the bodies for those old cork poppers are still in pretty good shape. So, I've been rebuilding the ones that look like my dog used them for chew toys.

That is a huge advantage of hard body poppers. These have been around since since the days you could buy a decent cork body so they are quite old. Ancient in the world of fly tying.

For the ones that are in non-usable condition, I'm switching from feather kickers to buck tail. The hair maintains the shape when wet much, much better than saddle hackle and are more durable. I'm also replacing the eyes on the ones that have gone blind.

IMG_1047_edited-1.jpg

McNasty likes this.
  5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    The ones I'm talking about from Rainy's, you actually slide the hook INTO the hole (not a slot). Toss some epoxy partway onto hook and then slide through until eye pops out. No slot and work great. We need to sit and tie poppers one of these nights at the WTB.

6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

[​IMG]

Jerry, most likely, you are talking about these. They were originally made by Edgewater. These are the bodies I now use the most for new patterns. I like them because they do give a little when the bass bite down so you have a better chance of a hook-up.

They are a tad difficult to find because most shops do not carry them.

There is a number of different style bodies available: frog, dinks, pencil poppers, cones, half cones, salt water, sliders.

The hole is drilled through the center so there is no slot. They are very easy to install over hooks and one reason I prefer them. I use Testers or Vinyl paint to add color as desired. You can clear coat them if you want but I don't believe it is necessary.

Both of the poppers in the first photo were made with Rainy's bodies.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Yup, those would be the ones. :)

I am an innovator for Rainy's, so get a bit of their stuff. Had a bunch donated to my PHWFF program from them (well, ALL SORTS of popper and misc stuff). We use sharpees alot and then clear coat the body after. I do have a small spray gun (hobby style) that I use as well and then clear coat. :)

8. haromp

haromp New Member

9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

PPP, interesting frog pattern. Obviously, it works.

10. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Bend the hooks such that when installed upside down the hook shank hangs down acting like a keel while the point rides up making the popper weedless.