Portable Gas Tanks And Grandpa's Motor

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by A.A., Jan 8, 2017.

1. A.A.

A.A. Active Member

So my grandpa gave me his hardly used 1993 long shaft 15 hp Mercury 2-stroke. Weighs only 71 lbs (compared to today's 9.9 hp 4-strokes which come in at 90-100 lbs). He bought it new and used it only a few times on the Chetco. He's been trying to give me this for years. I picked it up last time we visited, and he's really excited I'll be putting it to use when I get my DB. I look forward to taking him out, and at 86 years old, I don't know how many more trips he has in him.
    Guides around here really love these motors, and a couple asked if I would be willing to sell it. Just got a stand for it and am taking it in for service tomorrow. He scratched his initials into the cowling, and still had the original manual. I'll always have grandpa with me on the river.
    image.jpeg

So...
    I'm shopping for a 3-gallon tank to go with this motor and am reading horrible things about how you can't get a good tank anymore because the EPA got involved. Are there any good ones you recommend that you've had success with? Or should I try to find an old tank?

jake-e-boy and River Pig like this.
  2. MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher Active Member

I have a 6hp Mercury that is 6 or 8 years old. It came with a poly type of can, complete with a hose, bulb pump, and connector to the motor. I've never had any trouble with it. I think it is about a 3 gallon can and you can buy one like it online or from mercury dealers.

By the way, do you have a specific drift boat in mind that will handle a 15 hp motor?

A.A. likes this.
  3. A.A.

A.A. Active Member

I'll check with the Marine shop tomorrow to see what they recommend as far as a tank and hose. Just read the reviews on the tanks available and you'll see what is being said about these newer tanks and how bad they are.

I've seen quite a few DB w 15 hp 2-strokes. Many people prefer them. Of course not for a higher top speed, just a little more kick getting a boat with 3 people and gear back upstream to re-fish a run. I don't think any of these boats state they are rated for over 10 hp. But a lot of people run them, including my grandpa! The boat is aluminum, 17'. I've seen 16' w 15 hp 2-strokes on them. The 1993 15 hp 2-stroke weighs only 2 lbs more than the 1993 8 hp and 9.9 hp 2-strokes. You don't have to ever use full throttle, but it's there if you need it to move upstream if your boat is appropriately balanced. All this info is what I've gathered from the guides I've spoken to. I'm new when it comes to motors and only have experience rowing my own 2-person pontoon and my friends DB. I can't claim to be an expert. I do know that people run these motors and that my grandpa gave me his. Cool.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Greg Armstrong likes this.
  4. Penobscot

Penobscot Active Member

That motor will be great. As you said, lighter than a 4 stroke and HP won't be an issue. It may just push water more at full throttle, but if so just back it off.

bennysbuddy and A.A. like this.
  5. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

RGS Boat.jpg My buddy who guides on the Kenai uses one (motor) on his Willie, can't remember if it's a 19 or 21' boat but it's big. IIRC the motor is a 4 stroke, 10-15hp. He uses it to cross 5 miles of open water on Skilak lake where the Kenai flows into the lake to the take-out. Winds can whip up fast and furious off the glaciers and kill people every year. We lucked out with calm weather and just a bit of chop the last mile or two but that motor pushed that big pig easily.

6. davec

davec Member

Go to your local Mercury dealer and buy a new Mercury tank and hose. It will cost you about twice as much as the the knock off brands you will run across at your local marine store.
    I could go into a raft of reasons but............ I learned the "hard way".
    Penny wise... pound foolish!
    By the way, install a new water pump.

weiliwen and A.A. like this.
  7. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I have the exact motor.

Never stranded.

A.A. likes this.
  8. A.A.

A.A. Active Member

I got the Mercury brand (quicksilver) tank with hose and bulb. About $100.
    Got a retired merc mechanic to come to my house and go over the motor. He did gear oil, fuel filter, grease, plugs, and a carb rebuild. Fired up first pull. He said the water pump is good. He couldn't say enough good things about my motor and told me to make sure to keep it locked up. He went over all the features with me. Cost $80 in parts and $80 in labor. Gave him a $20 tip. Cool!

9. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

Actually its only 1 mile from the putin on the lake to the outlet, my in-laws live 5 miles downstream of the lake outlet right on the river. I have rowed it numerous times myself, but yes it can be very dangerous if the wind kicks up being at the downstream end of the lake when that wind blows down canyon from the mountains.

We have an 8hp honda long shaft on a 16' koffler and it works well.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  10. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

I'm talking about the inlet, mouth of the canyon, not the outlet. Not sure of exact distance but much more than a mile. The wind comes from SE, off the glaciers.

11. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

My bad, didn't read correctly.

12. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Stay away from ethanol gasoline! That motor is not designed to handle ethanol as far as I know.

Most 2 strokes need to be run full throttle every so often to run well (carbon build up) .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

A.A. likes this.
  13. A.A.

A.A. Active Member

Been using the ethanol free gas. Didn't know about the full throttle though. Good tip.

14. A.A.

A.A. Active Member

Got some of that marine Stabil, supposed to extend the life up to a year. How long would you leave gas in a tank without the Stabil? Been told a month but that seems really short.

15. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

I've been getting away with 6+ months a time... I make sure the vent is shut so the gas is not evaporating. My friend in Alaska leaves gas from Sept to July and it's fine. Always mix in some fresh ASAP or dump it into your road vehicle if it's not mixed with oil.

A.A. likes this.