Post OS brainstorming

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Salmo_g, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan ignoring Freestoneangler Rob Allen and Generic

Home Page:
    Looks like I have KerryS, WW, 2 kayaker and maybe CJ. I have 3rd row seating in the Sorrento so I think we can all be somewhat comfortable.

I assume we'll have a few more from around the state and a non-WFF'er or 2 at the meeting.

One of the nice things about going down for these events and the OS events are the people you get to meet and see again. I've got to meet and hang out with a truly diverse and interesting group. That part is a real nice bonus. It's worth getting up at the crack of dawn.

Go Sox,
    cds

bhudda and bk paige like this.
  2. bk paige

bk paige Wishin I was on the Sauk

Wish I could go but gotta work. Thanks for your time everyone!

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

At first I didn’t understand bennysbuddy’s comment. Now it makes sense; the board’s biggest asshole must have taken another shit.

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Hey Peyton if you and @napawino both go with the group this Saturday, you'll raise the collective IQ to 81.

5. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

I haven't used the 'Ignore' feature in WFF because even the more annoying members occasionally offer something worth reading. FSA has finally conviced me to give the feature a try ;)

6. Charles Sullivan

Home Page:
    His number must be super high. It's a lot of people who ignore him.

Go sox,
    Cds

7. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

These threads are like broken records . . .

Leland

8. Jonathan Stumpf

Jonathan Stumpf I don't care how you fish

Home Page:
    So comment and question for @Charles Sullivan @miyawaki @Smalma @Salmo_g @KerryS @_WW_ Great work keeping the pressure on the state and NOAA to keep this process moving forward. My question: What does a spring fishery on the Skagit look like this year for you guys? Open to CnR Feb 15 - April 30 like years past? Or something new, more limited, and forward-thinking? Apologies if this was covered in other threads (feel free to link me to it), but I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are on this.

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Jonathan,

First the disclaimer: "Nothing should be presumed as having been pre-determined. The Record of Decision is based on, and only on, the conclusions reached in the Section 4(d) Resource Management Plan (RMP) and the environmental assessment (EA)." The draft analysis is supposed to be out for public comment today, but I haven't received it in my email, nor could I find it on NMFS' WCR website.

The prospective season is Feb. 1 - Apr. 30. The RMP indicates a fishing area from the Dalles bridge upstream to Marblemount, and the Sauk upstream to Darrington. There is nothing precluding the fishing area from including areas downstream of the Dalles as in the past, but advocates need to point that out to WDFW. It gets a little complicated. The WDFW Commission cares about implementing the plan, the treaty tribes care about implementing the plan, WDFW at the regional level cares about implementing the plan, WDFW in Olympia - most of them couldn't find the Skagit on a map until they met with the tribes who provided orientation. And WDFW Olympia is the decision maker, so they need to be informed of why a larger fishing area is in the public interest. The middle river section was previously open until Mar. 15. Because of concerns regarding Nookachamps steelhead, a reasonable downstream boundary is Gilligan Creek, which is several miles upstream of Nookachamps and has been named as a fishing boundary on the Skagit for decades.

The prospective fishing regulations are the Special Regs, single barbless hook, no bait, CNR, and do not remove fish from the water. However boats may be equipped with IC motors.

Sg

Jonathan Stumpf, bhudda and KerryS like this.
  10. Charles Sullivan

Home Page:
    We've worked to get it open. The season and the regulations will be set by WDFW if we are successful at getting a season. The goal has been to get an approved management plan for the basin. OS has not tried and set the rules rather it's been a movement of sorts to get a management plan done that would allow for a season, run sizes permitting.

Go Sox,
    cds

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

According to the director it is a done deal.

miyawaki likes this.
  12. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Took us all by surprise . . .

Leland.

13. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page: