Post OS brainstorming

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Salmo_g, Aug 10, 2017.

1. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Yes, appealing to the "non-vocal" majority that supposedly exists out there... regardless of whether it's the fish in this case or support of some whackadoodle issue on a local, national or worldwide level...

2. chromie

chromie Active Member

Weak deflection. Sad. But stay strong WFFs Erin Brockovich of forum lurkers. Its not like anyone could literally be sitting in their whitey tighties in the comfort of their own home, drinking a diet shasta, create a free account and offer input on an OPEN forum.

Back to the topic at hand. Working out a process that supports a great opportunity in reopening the Skagit that's based on collecting and using good data.

3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

When the trend reverses, we'll have the data to support a C&R fishery. Any decision to do so or partake in fishing them otherwise is simply placing ones selfish need over the species interests.

4. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

oops wrong thread don't know how that happened sorry.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Klickrolf likes this.
  5. dustinchromers

dustinchromers Active Member

This might be out of the box but here goes. One of the things about the occupy skagit that's attractive I feel is that it's grass roots. It functions on passion and anglers involvement more than money. While I agree a fee would likely be the most trouble free way to fund this I also feel angler involvement and volunteerism carry a heavier sword. Perhaps for every day an angler fishes the skagit they could give a day or half day to monitoring. If they don't want to do this then they pay a rod day fee. Either way it gives an option for time given versus money paid. This volunteer monitoring I feel would involve anglers more and foster connections between the wdfw, fellow anglers, and others in the community. If I lived closer and planned on fishing the skagit I would opt for the volunteer time. Not cause I couldn't afford the fee but because I believe angler involvement in enforcement and monitoring is lacking severely in Washington's sport fishing community. As much as a trophy tag would get the job done I think it sends the wrong message that killing a steelhead is OK if you can afford it and are a trophy hunting "conservationist". I think occupy skagit has gotten allot done. I think it would be really really cool if it got the fishery monitored with volunteerism from within the community. It sends a strong message that people and community can get it done without the bugaboos of a higher government machine creating speed bumps and solving them with money and fees.

b_illymac, Buzzy, Shad and 4 others like this.
  6. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Dude we heard ya.

7. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Home Page:
    ill monitor the run im fishing...upload data, repeat.

8. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

I'm all go. When and where. I'll monitor the shit out of it

dustinchromers likes this.
  9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Have sled, will monitor...

10. freestoneangler

There were similar proposals for the Green River in the early 90's. Even back then WDFW did not have the numbers and budget to adequately monitor the river. There were sections that were fairly remote and difficult to police. TU chapters in the area suggested a volunteer river monitor program and it went nowhere. The risk of legal issues was the primary concern - and no doubt would still be. But the issue here, and specifically with OS, isn't lack of sufficient monitoring.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  11. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

I see an "ignored member" (hope that isn't describing a body part) has just posted. Why is it that he/they don't start their own threads to push their agenda? :)

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

I don't know, but based on his pattern, it is consistent with attempting to derail any discussion that isn't aligned with his chosen narrative. He achieves significant success due to not being sufficiently ignored.

13. freestoneangler

Counter perspectives and opinions on subjects such as this are beneficial... and hopefully for the long term survival of Skagit Steelhead.

How does this derail the discussions? I think you really mean to say that you (OS supporters) only want to hear from those who think like you do.

14. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Home Page:
    I dont think the WDFW has a successful model of "monitoring" either that would stand up to legal scrutiny, so finding alternative ways shouldn't be off the table.

JS likes this.
  15. dustinchromers

dustinchromers Active Member

Drones man. Drones