Posting location specific reports on the interwebs: A collective discussion

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Burck, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    That's an awesome way to look at it. I personally consider my fishing info to be pretty damn valuable to me. I've spent so much money on gas, food, gear, etc... driven tens of thousands of miles, hiked hundreds of miles, made tens of thousands of casts, and done things I'm not proud of to get the info that I have... And so have my fishing buddies that I've received information from. To just go posting that info online for so many "guests" to see, who have done little to no work figuring it out for themselves, it just a waste to me.

It seems that a lot of the enthusiastic location reports I've seen over time have been from guys who just found a new spot, and happened to get there on the right day without much of any previous experience and hardships of trying to figure that place out.

I'll use one river as an example.. The Skykomish is as far from a secret river as you can get. It's big, it's long, and it gets a lot of pressure. But as far as angler success on steelhead, I think that the number of successful anglers out on this river might be some of the lowest in the state. It has a learning curve on it far beyond what many rivers in this state have. It's just plain TOUGH to figure out. I feel that after fishing it HARD for a few years, I have it at least somewhat figured out. I hooked fish more often than I didn't last winter. But the planets have to align for that river to be worth a trip, and I'm starting to figure out when and where that is. But I'll be damned if I'm going to give up that hard earned knowledge for the world to see.

2. orangeradish

orangeradish Eyes to the sky...

Classic, Paul. Classic.

3. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

I rarely post a report and if I did, I would never disclose the location. Positive reports from anywhere always increase fishing pressure. Sharing the experience is fine if thats your thing, but IMO the only reason to post a location is if you want someone else to fish there. I personally prefer not to fish highly pressured water and not to catch fish that have been caught by several others. Would you want to sleep with the same woman that everyone else in your neighborhood slept with first?

Another misconception I see is that its okay to pimp a location if its well known. As I pointed out in the other post, just because a spot is well known doesn't mean there aren't secrets about it. I have locations, times, etc. in most of the popular rivers around here where I can catch fish and barely see another fisherman. That doesn't mean I need to post it everywhere just because a lot of people know the river. I've seen a lot of my favorite places go down the drain simply due to reporting and publicizing.

4. Mark Horwath

Mark Horwath Member

I would gladly take this thread off line if some one can help i tride but am not getting it?

5. smc

smc Active Member

I fish the Skagit, Suak and surrounding watersheds. Smaller streams in the watershed will never get a mention from me on the interwebs, but I see no issue at all with naming the Skagit or Sauk as a broad reference.

Having said that, the few reports that I've offered up have all been for small zipper-lip streams. I live on the river and manage to catch a fish or two now and then, with no report. Maybe because I get skunked too often, or maybe it's just too close to home. Either way I can certainly understand those who make a personal choice to keep quiet.

Now, having said that, I'm with Kerry. I'll post any report I feel like posting.

6. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

honestly, the cat's out of the bag. internet reports, usgs realtime streamflow, online mapping software, etc. make it more difficult to find uncrowded water, although honestly it's really not that hard if you're not competitive and are willing to hike or fish less popular rivers.

i think the effect of posts on this forum are overblown. on all the rivers people bitch about crowding the most, the guides are some of the worst offenders. over-hyped fishing reports on websites and blogs has just as much of an effect as a post on wff.

me, i like reports as a way to tell a story about the day... and i try my hardest to avoid giving even hints of where i fish. of course, if i felt like saying where it'd be my choice and i do... but even then i'll omit details i feel would jeopardize either the exact place or a place i learned from someone else.

7. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I really like people who post awesome location based reports of places I've never heard about. I really hate people who post awesome location based reports of places I've heard about and want to keep for myself.

Does anyone know a secluded steelhead river, a small one, with a nice hiking trails on the side that I can use to get away from all the crowds? ;)

Honestly, I believe that talking about specific locations is best left for groups of close friends that I trust. Call me old school, but I like having friends in real life. I don't know who reads these boards. Chances are I would get along with most of you, but I know there's at least a couple who I couldn't stand hanging out with. Like Mumbles for instance ;) Why toss them a bone? Also, most of the water that I really love to fish involves backcountry hiking off trails so I can get into areas of absolute solitude. Obviously, I'm not going to post those locations on the internet, because I'm scared to death that I'll have to go "all Misery" on some computer geek that would listen to what I say and actually show up there.

Then again, I think there's plenty of people on this board that don't have friends in real life, like Kerry and OMJ. Posting locations on the internet is their 1st amendment right. Maybe it'll get a couple buddies in the process. Hah.

8. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    There was a time not too long ago that people would post reports on this site often. We would all get to oogle over thier pictures and dream of the time we too would have such success. In recent times people have gotten thier panties all in a bunch over names like Sauk, Skagit, Stilliguamish, Cowlitz (for Christ's sake), Hoh, Sol Duc, Snake, Rhonde, Clearwater, Deschutes, Wenatchee, Yakima, and the list keeps going on.

It is my opinion that if the spot is so special and secret, then the person posting it would probably not post names. I have yet to read a report on a small "secret" stream. This is a fly fishing website. Many of us are here to read good reports, chat with fellow anglers about techniques, and learn. If you think that the info running around inside your head is too important to share with others the please leave it in your head and don't bother asking others like me for info. If you want to know where I fish just ask.

I used to post reports about trips but got tired of the net nannies telling me that the Cowlitz, and other "Secret" rivers should not be pimped on the web. News flash, there are no secret spots.

9. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

It is no secret that posting a specific location on here will result in an unusually large number of anglers showing up the following few days. The majority of them will be lurkers. I don't post pics or specific reports on here for that reason. I usually don't pay much attention to those that do either. There is also a subculture of misinformation regarding fishing reports on this site and others on the web. I can count a few occasions where members of this forum have stated that they had an awesome day at a particuar spot an I knew with 100% certainty that no fish were caught in said area. I will share reports, but they will be communicated by soundwaves leaving my vocal chords and entering someones ear canal with zero man made devices transporting the soundwaves.

10. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Played well, a few creative locations could be fun to post. Take for instance the turd herder (waste water treatment plant) in Arlington by the Stilly. You guys just haven't hit on the real purpose for pin pointing a location that's "hot".

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Let me put this to you differently. It is no secret where I fish or what I fish for. If I were to post up a report that I caught a 20 plus pound steelhead and not mention the river I caught it in do you think anyone would guess what river I was fishing? Since the season is rather short and I made my report on Monday most would likely figure I caught my 20 pounder on either Saturday or Sunday. Now, where oh where on the Skagit did I catch this marvelous fish. If you know me you might be able to determine this by what part of the season I made my post. If it were early in the season you might guess low in the river. Later in the season up higher. Also, you know I use a sled so now you have to figure that I may be fishing a section of the river that is only accessible via boat. This is starting to get tougher isn't it? I bet I could tell you almost exactly where I caught this fish and most could not or would not go there.

Let me tell you a story. There was a bar on the Skagit that was producing some very good numbers of steelhead. Matter of fact most could not believe how many fish were being caught at this bar. In the morning there could be as many as 20 guys lined up to fish this place before dawn. I drove down in there one morning and seen exactly that, about 20 rigs parked in there. I left and went up river to fish. That afternoon on my way back home I decided to stop by this bar and see if anyone was still fishing it. To my surprise there was no one there. I decided to fish it. I started at the top and was working my way down thinking that the run had probably been fished to death and likely I was wasting my time. First fish caught was a small hatchery hen which I bonked to give to the plunkers up in the shack above. Within 5 or s casts of the first fish I hook into a nice wild hen at about 10 pounds. Landed and released uharmed. After another 5 casts fish number three was hooked. This time it took about a half hour to land the largest steelhead I ever caught. A monster 43 inch buck. Now this run was fished by at least 20 guys that day and more than likely most of them went thru it twice if not more. I had one of my best days steelheading on the Skagit and caught my largest steelhead ever on a run that was beaten to death.

You can do with this as you will.

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Well, you all know that I have to say something on this matter. I have fished all over the Greater Everett area in my 45 years of fishing there. I have beat the "S" rivers to death and a few smaller ones.

I have given out many areas to fish. But these armchair people don't want to beat through the bushes to fish. They want it all in the open. When I was younger I used to fish Day creek and to get to the better areas you had to climb down into a canyon. I have never seen anybody else down in there or saw any other foot prints..

That was the way it was for a lot of my fishing. I could fish from the easy spots but that wasn't me.

13. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    Yes, I do.

14. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure that's closed water now too Jim. Sadly, the ability to fish a lot of that type of water is looong gone. All the skinny water is turning into rearing water so the tribes have something to net once the hatchery closures start. The rec fishers are getting cramed into the wide open spots. I've probably said it 1000 times already but pretty soon the only opportunities we're going to have are going to be Wenatchee esque fluster cluck fests since it's been so "successfull". I damn sure miss sight fishing for cutts on some of those squiggley little blue lines and picking thorns out of my waders at the end of the day.

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I just think that there are many fisheries that are as good as they are because they have yet to be fully exposed to the masses. Many of these fisheries happen on some of the most well known rivers even. But through some strange course of events, these well known locations have kept some pretty awesome secrets because the few in the know have kept it to themselves. The what/when/how questions are unknown, only the "where" is the well known part. If someone just happens to discover this particular (relative) secret about this river, telling it to tens of thousands of people in a single internet post could be the beginning of the end of something that could potentially be on its way out with the new found attention.

And yes, believe it or not, there are still some secret locations that only a few people know about. And in the last year, I've seen one of them get exposed (though not yet on this site), and receive pressure that it just couldn't handle (this was a trout stream, not a steelhead stream).