Posting location specific reports on the interwebs: A collective discussion

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Burck, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Yeah and it's only going to get worse. I keep going to the WDFW site and I get mad at all that is being closed and what doesn't have to closed.. There are a few stream that have impassable barriers on them and they are closed also. What's up with that.Some of these have waterfalls on them that are 90 feet high. What in the hell is going to get up over that.

Since I have moved to Montana I don't get out as much as I would like to. But here to catch fish I don't have to look for an out of the way place. Hell, I fish from a boat launch and catch big Brown's.

2. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Actually, I have no idea where you fish, and most others wouldn't either. No offense, but you might be assuming that people are tracking your fishing habits far more than they actually are. In fact, probably no one except your personal friends pay any attention to your choice of fishing location. But if you post specific locations and success stories on this website, hundreds of us would suddenly become aware of where you fish. That's the difference between sharing 1:1 among trusted zipper-lipped friends and sharing 1:1000 on the Internet shotgun style.

As far as your crowded gravel bar story...yeah, that happens sometimes.

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    fixed

4. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Thanks Evan, that's probably closer to reality.

5. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I can't help it if you are dumber than a box or rocks.

6. GATOR9

GATOR9 Hey you guys

My 2 cents worth.

Like Evan and countless others here, in state out of state, whatever we have all or most have put in the time, miles and lord knows $$$$$$ into the fun and frustrating sport of f/fishing. We all have our spots we like to hit as often as we can and the reason we call them our spots is that it is not fished that much. The last thing I wish to do is to go out with hundreds of others and have fly wars on the river. We pretty much fish central and east side of Washington North and South and even out of state. There have been a couple guys here that have shared some spots with us that we have greatly appreciated and we too have shared some of our locations. We may or may not direct someone to the exact spot but our locations follow many miles of fishing water and we have spent years finding our spots and some we have shared. The sharing comes from PM or by phone or live and it is all by personal choice. I do not get upset about someone refusing and there have been a couple times I have asked. The only thing that I would question is when someone may give out an exact location and a meeting place with a time to go fish. You may as well put up sign on your car as to what is in it, the value of the items and that the veh. is unlocked. I'm sure that at one time or another an on line "guest" as paid your location a visit. Sorry about being long winded but it remains that it is all a "personal choice" :beer1:

7. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Kerry- ha!

8. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Seriously? Why the hell would you assume I know where you fish? Because you live in Sedro Woolley? I won't say you're dumb, but possibly deluded about how much people pay attention to you, Kerry.

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Pimping fishing holes is about as old as whoring and politics, without the benefits of the former and all the liabilities of the latter. It's been a progressive disease, taking a long time to become an epidemic. First, anglers met and pimped their zipperlips in local pubs among people they assumed were friends. Oh, and after a few pints, everyone present seemed like they must have been a friend. The next time out, the zipperlip was already occupied and being fished. Well, no matter, just walk along a bit and find new water. Over time, with an expanding angler population and no increase in rivers, lakes, or ponds, you can probably see with this goes. Then comes Guttenberg and his damn printing press! Books, then magazines, and eventually weekly newspapers pimping out fishing holes! The best waters were already over-crowded with anglers well before the internet came along. The internet simply made pimping easier, and it works - you read didn't you, that Craig'slist had to remove its prostitution column? Like that's really going to change anything. Pimping and whoring are as human as it gets.

So does that make the WFF posters that don't pimp out waters inhuman? Naturally that too is open to question, but more importantly, it makes them strategic anglers. And I was recently reading in an article I once wrote that a key to good steelhead fishing is having a sound strategy . . .

Sg

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I think the difference is the amount of effort needed to see the info, and how many people it gets to in a short amount of time. I can post a positive report about X river, and within an hour, over a thousand people (easily) will have seen it. More than enough time to make plans for the next day to hit it up. All done without anybody getting up or having to leave the house.

With books, or even word of mouth; there's a certain amount of effort needed to acquire that information beyond hitting the "refresh" button. Even so, the number of people this info reaches, and the amount of time it takes to do so is nothing compared to the convenience of the internet.

I love computers and the internet. I love this website, and the information and entertainment it provides. I'm a computer programmer for f's sake. I just think the internet is simultaneously one of the best and worst things to happen to us.

11. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    Yeah- when I fished Crab Creek last week I only caught ten big browns and there were a bunch of cars there. Damn Internet. And damn WFF!

12. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Right on, Evan. Given how long the Internet has been in widespread use, I'm amazed at how many people don't fully understand this.

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Yeah? Well when I followed up on a WFF Crab Ck report all I caught was a half dozen rattlesnakes, one nearly up to six feet long! If I'd been a fishin' for snakes, I'da' been happy, but I wasn't, so I wasn't. And I dang near got snake bit several times. In hindsight, I been thinkin' it maybe was one of them decoy fishing reports, intended to keep me off the really productive water. Now I'm thinkin' them internet fishing reports maybe aren't all what they're cracked up to be!

Sg

14. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I'm going to start posting decoy fishing reports to throw everyone off. I'll create several new WFF identities and will post photos of fish I "pimp" from elsewhere on the web to make the reports look legit. That'll throw up enough noise that the lurkers will stop lurking.

15. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I wish more of you would start fishing the north fork of the stilly , the brush on the trails is getting teribbly thick, I'd tell you all where the secrect holes are but you can read all about them in various books