presentation mounting of flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Randy Diefert, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Dave Westburg

Dave Westburg Member

When you buy the kit they include the glass rods. I had to have some friends drill the glass rods so I don't know what sort of drill they used.

I would strongly recommend using the soft 1/8 diameter silicon tubes to hold the flies (see the corkboard plate). They are much easier to work with than glass and they attach easily to the background with a bit of superglue.

For what it's work, I was in a card shop yesterday day and found a deep frame which would be suitable for mounting flies for about $20. Put it on my Christmas list.

I've mounted some classic atlantic salmon flies and some spey flies. Am working on plates for hairwing steelhead flies, Roderick Haig-Brown flies, Harry Lemire flies and maybe a plate of Ken Sawada tube and waddington shank flies.

2. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Dave
    Are you sure they are glass and not pexiglass. Drilling a glass rod that small would be difficult, not to mention the need for specialy designed glass drill bits, very specific bit speed and lots of proper lubricant.
    Plexiglass, lexan or similar rod is much easier to drill and as you use solid rod (not tube) and as long as you mechanically polish or flame polish the cut ends looks very similar.

3. sean

sean Member

Home Page:
    Also check out Michael Radenichs book 'Tying The Classic Salmon Fly: A Modern Approach To Traditional Techniques'. He has a whole chapter about mounting your flies and what materials you need. You can pick up everyting you would need at Michaels Craft shop. A littel elbow grease and you can make your own display quality boxes.

-sean

4. Dave Westburg

Dave Westburg Member

Tim, you are right. They are plexiglass.

5. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Thanks Tim , Got any ideas where to get that smaller diameter plexiglass rod? I looked at both Micheals and JoAnn's and haven't found it as of yet. I was thinking of using a small diameter dowel and tried it but, it doesn't look too good. Then I thought of using a tooth pick but, it casts a shadow when you look at it in a lighted room.
    Randy

6. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Randy, I checked with VEE and she doesn't remember where she found those rods. I'm thinking it was a lighting store, but it's been a long time.

REE

7. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Get it right here http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=147
    6ft of 1/6" for $6.25 Thats a lot of fly mounts for a little money.
    They have a store in Seattle and a store in Bellevue. They do retail.
    They will ship via UPS if you don't want to visit the store.

As Sean pointed out take a look at Michael Radenichs book. You won't find a better tutorial. Don't forget to polish the cut ends.

TC

8. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

excellent, Thanks TC :thumb: