Private beach laws...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Aug 24, 2009.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Also to add something to this... Almost all "right-of-ways" that run into the shoreline are public. There is a state law somewhere that doesn't permit a "road vacation" on the shorelines of the state. So if you go to look at some County Assessor's maps and find them, you will find access points. Now what happens is, when you go to a particular site in person, you will find that the ADJACENT homeowner has planted a lawn and landscaping there, so you may think you are tresspassing. YOU ARE NOT! Happy Hunting for access points. :ray1:

2. tahuyamg

tahuyamg tahuyamg

My family owns property on both sides of the canal. 180ft of water front in Union and another house past Tahuya with water front as well. In both cases the property line goes down to extreme low tide. In Union this means 5 acre's of tide flats, because so much sediment has been washed down by the Skokomish River. Every neighbor I know on both sides of Hood Canal go by extreme low tide for their property.These are private beaches period. We don't pay property taxes (which are expensive on the water) for people to come pick oysters and clams at there own leisure and lounge around on our property. Nor do I like to pick up other people's trash and dog crap. Speaking of crap, I also don't need to deal with some arrogant fly fisher who thinks he/she has the right to be there! My Grandfather bought the properties back in the early fifties so he and the family could have their own beach. Once someone trespasses and continues other's always follow and then the mess starts happening. It annoys me when people think they have the right to trespass on others property. I don't care what kind of BS you come up with justifying "why you have the right" to beaches that are private. Try running that crap by some of the old families who live out on the water in Tahuya. See how far that will get ya. Better yet try throwing some disrespect by dropping anchor 10ft off the property.

3. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Active Member

Well I guess that settles it then...

4. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Mark-

Can a person legally cross your property if they are wading below the extreme low tide mark? Can they anchor there?

5. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

Woaaahohoho....I guess I'll have to use my trolling motor to hold station against the tide 10' off the property instead of an anchor.....no problem.

6. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Active Member

Cue the banjo music out there in Tahuya

7. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

Who wants to go fish this shit hot beach I know of in Tahuya. No beach access so we'll get a flotilla together.

Let's launch at Twonah just before high tide, the trick is to anchor 9' from the beach at high water. Should be some good action!

8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Mark Graham

"My family owns property on both sides of the canal. 180ft of water front in Union and another house past Tahuya with water front as well. In both cases the property line goes down to extreme low tide. In Union this means 5 acre's of tide flats, because so much sediment has been washed down by the Skokomish River. Every neighbor I know on both sides of Hood Canal go by extreme low tide for their property.These are private beaches period. We don't pay property taxes (which are expensive on the water) for people to come pick oysters and clams at there own leisure and lounge around on our property. Nor do I like to pick up other people's trash and dog crap. Speaking of crap, I also don't need to deal with some arrogant fly fisher who thinks he/she has the right to be there! My Grandfather bought the properties back in the early fifties so he and the family could have their own beach. Once someone trespasses and continues other's always follow and then the mess starts happening. It annoys me when people think they have the right to trespass on others property. I don't care what kind of BS you come up with justifying "why you have the right" to beaches that are private. Try running that crap by some of the old families who live out on the water in Tahuya. See how far that will get ya. Better yet try throwing some disrespect by dropping anchor 10ft off the property."

Well, this is your chance to set a good example of being neighborly. Post a sign that says " "No Gear Fisherman, No Clam Diggers, No Oyster Pickers Allowed-Fly Fisherman Welcome".
    :D Remember, you are only a temporary visitor here on the good earth. You really don't own the good earth in my book. I think most fly fisherman are no slobs.

9. Kim Hampton

Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

Funny Milt with the banjo thing. That's probably fits the bill better than what I was thinking. IE Silver Spooned Prick.

10. tahuyamg

tahuyamg tahuyamg

When I said 10 feet from the property- I was referring to the "property", not the property line. I'll include gear fisherman in there as well dryflylarry. Kim Yea I can be a big prick! But there is no silver spoon in this mouth.
    If you want to be an arrogant ass about someones private property don't be surprised if you get the boot in the ass...

11. gt

gt Active Member

so one of you folks with deep pockets and oodles of patience, go anchor up on mark's folks property, have them call the sheriff, get arrested, go to court and clear this up for the rest of us. otherwise, find some other place to fish!

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Damn we are all such a fine tempered group. No wonder we can't all get our shit together to move in one direction for some conservation. What a waste of energy. I've used my humble craft to cruise the Too-Hoo-Yaah beaches before on some SRC explorations when salmon season was closed. I've see a few guns in backyards. I've seen some heavy gear chucking from those private beaches and salmon landed and bonked out of season. Some protect their private property because other pricks mess it up. Some protect private property because they think they can do whatever they want. This thread has become a great illustration of two sides hell bent on confrontation. Great.

13. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Okay, okay! Enough already!!!!! Haven't we beaten this dead horse into its grave. I am a beach owner and many of you have fished on MY beach this summer as the Pink Salmon have returned. Mumbles and several others have visited my family home and have seen and fished this beach. During the past month, literally hundreds of fishermen have bonked Pinks on MY beach. I say nothing other than respect the beach. Don't litter, don't climb my bulkhead, and don't piss on my tidelands. My family owns them and they go out a long way as many of you can attest. Property owners pay for the right to own and protect their interests as they choose. In some cases they post them as no trespassing. Others like myself allow access but as soon as I find the beach disrespected, I WILL CLOSE IT and PROTECT IT. The law is ambiguous at best because owners have different limits of ownwership. Do as you will. Tempt the owners and you will lose the access that many of you are too thick headed to see. I'll say it again; Ask. Be respectful. Leave a fish for the owner once in a while. Pick up any litter you see and deposit it in a proper place. It doesn't take much to make a friend and it takes even less to make an enemy. For now, you are welcome to fish MY beach. How you get there is up to you but if the other owners close their beach, I'll be bonking fish by myself for a long time in the future, unless, of course, I invite you to walk down the 157 steps to the beach. If you owned a cornfield would you want pheasant hunter trashing your property just because people have hunted there in the past? :beathead: :beathead: :beathead:

14. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I posted this in jest as I don't think I've more rude post on WFF. He deserves to be messed with. With the rapidly lowering oxygen levels in Hood Canal I don't think the poster has much to worry about from fly fishers trespassing. From what I've observed moutain biking and motorcycling around Tahuya there's a lot more criminal activity that would have my attention.

Having said that, property rights on the waterfront are the same as they are upland. I don't understand how that's hard to understand. The only variables are how far out one's property goes (mean high water, mean low water, etc) and that portion of the property that is underwater given the tide state.

Unless you fish while carrying plat maps and title reports for the beach you're on then you'd do well to introduce yourself to the owners and ask permission.

15. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

I don't understand all the anger Mark.... You must of
    had issues in the past with people on your beach, right?
    As a waterfront owner I to am protective of my beach, as
    anyone is that owns any land. As long as they don't take my
    oysters and clams its ok to walk through. However I always
    ask "who are you and where do you live in the area". Since there
    is no public access anywhere near we almost never get strangers
    on our beach.

Dave