Pro Tiers, how long does it take you?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thom Collins, Jan 25, 2014.

1. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

That definitely affects quality, but might actually speed up the tying process. If I were hammered I could probably crank out a fly in half the time it normally takes me, it would just look really, really bad.

Thom Collins and Irafly like this.
  2. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Home Page:
    Professional

(of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.

34 years tying and I do not consider myself a professional

Thom Collins likes this.
  3. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I have a friend who has tied flies for various outlets in Eastern WA., and for a time tied for the ORVIS company. So from my observations, each fly is different depending on the complication of the pattern. With that in mind, a simple pattern he could do at least 10 - 12 in an hour. More complicated patterns could only be 5 or 6 in hour. If I get out four or five in an hour I am happy. Complicated patterns I may only get two or three.

4. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

Home Page:
    my rate for the most of the the flies that i sell to shops is about 1.5 dozen an hour. most of the stuff i do is salt flies for Puget Sound. mainly sea-runs

5. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

FT....when the fly shop was going out of business in Sumas, I bought GPs for $.35 each......I bought enough that I have never had to tie one again.....the cost doesn't even cover the cost of materials....and I like to tie steelhead flies....

6. the central oregonian

the central oregonian Member

At my best, I would tie simple nymphs in a couple minutes each...I figured that I had to tie a dozen a hr at the least to make it worth while when I was tying for local shop.

The key to this is a lot of practice and materials prep....It took me quite a while to get decent at it. Usually the first couple dozen of a pattern would end up in my own box, as I got into a groove. Then the rest were worthy of sale. Its not easy to tie a crap load of flies make them look good, make them all look the same, and tie them in a couple minutes.
    I have no interest in tying commercially again.....

7. johnk

johnk Active Member

I will echo the sentiments of several other posters. I don't tie a commercial pattern that takes longer than 5 minutes. It's just not worth it. I am in the twilight of my commercial gig and I look forward to tying some patterns that are more intricate without a stopwatch. I have been tying commercially since '93 and it's been a long road and I find it is becoming more of an obligation than a hobby!

As has already been mentioned preparation is key to tying optimum numbers. I usually bead 10 dozen hooks and cut enough material for those hooks and then everything becomes robotic! No matter how long and how many flies I tie, I still get a kick out of coming up with something new that becomes a very productive pattern.

FinLuver likes this.