NFR Proposed Changes to the Internet

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Jim Travers

Jim Travers Member

i'll physically threaten anyone who triesd to dump some premium acces type deal on me!!!

2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

The non- indoctrinated

3. Bimini15

Bimini15 Active Member

Should I assume that’s the one who doesn’t read?

4. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

The cheapest internet provider will always win assuming they can provide the service, fast and cheaper. The faster it is the more they'll win. It's pretty simple, government will give it to their pals while usurping the authority. Sorry, most of you are wrong. The internet will ONLY be neutral if left to the free market. That's because we have greedy people and greedy corporations and greedy government. Everything is cheaper if left to the free market because gov't control always reduces the value!

Mark Moore likes this.
  5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

He doesn’t get it. After all, he casts right handed and reels right handed too!.......

6. napawino

napawino Banned or Parked

Snohomish County, sometimes Missoula County
    Anyone who thinks letting ISPs do whatever they want will result in lower prices and better service, will be in for a rude awakening. Do you really think prices will go down if big business has its way?

7. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

How's that health care thing working out now the Govt is controlling it? Anything those whores help, touch, or manage goes down the tubes...

Free-market works.

BTW, what business is alive and well who donate all the R&D, technological advances, trouble shooting, product improvements, etc..for the betterment of society? Businesses are in business to stay in business. It costs real money. Since labor is the one, if not the largest expense, how can business save on labor?

8. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

Wait a minute, is this the response for jacking the interweb moguls and the HB1 visa...

9. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

You clearly do not understand what is happening. With Net Neutrality gone, your internet provider would be able to break up your internet use like a cable company. You may have to buy "packages." Say you have Verizon, so your base package includes Yahoo which they own, so that's what you get. Want to use Google? That's an extra charge. Want to go to fishing sites? Better add the outdoor package. Same for the sports package. Like Netflix? Well Netflix competes with a company your ISP owns so they limit your use, or slow down your streaming speeds. This is complete bullshit and benefits no one but the corporations that take the control from the people.

They already have the right to charge what they think is a fair price for their service....I don't know about you, but I have to pay to use the internet already. I chose my ISP based on the speed, allowable data usage, and price they offered. There's already competition and a fair market for their service. Do you want to pay more and get less? Be told what you can and can't do on the internet? This is about who controls the internet, not just who provides access to it.

10. Jamie Dow

Jamie Dow Member

Disagree with him if you wish, but in these times calling for mass murder is uncalled for. Too many kooks out there without instigating further hatred.

Mark Moore likes this.
  11. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

If it is a true open market, then the prices will reflect what the market will bear. I think what we're talking about concerning the internet is having the right restrictions and laws in place to prevent monopolies, price gouging, and restriction of content (openly or subversively; i.e. throttling bandwidth) for the purpose of stifling free speech. We have such laws in place that govern many industry sectors - why wouldn't we just apply the same approach to the internet/media? I do not see this issue falling along party lines.

12. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

This is a huge deal that is being swept under the rug. News outlets care more about a random trump tweet than covering this.

The best analogy I heard on this is that it is equivalent to your power company charging you more per month to run different appliances. Want to run your washer and dryer? That will require a subscription to our fresh clothes package, which is $5 per month. Want to use your TV? That is part of our in home fun package, which runs $10 per month. Want to use your refrigerator? That's $6 per month for our food preservation package. Need your lights to be functional an hour earlier due to daylight savings? That will be $3 per month. Oh, and you'll still have to pay us for aggregate kwh usage, because we at Company X are the only power provider in your area and can charge you whatever we want. Don't want to pay it? Okay, then you won't have power since we are the only provider in your area.

...now imagine if you had to pay your internet provider monthly fees to access different packages of websites. That is what this will allow those providers to do.

Unfortunately they often have monopolies in the areas they cover, so you only have one choice of internet provider. Even Google is running into massive problems rolling out their fiber network. They are being stonewalled in Nashville like you wouldn't believe. If Google can't fix it, then I don't have much faith that some other players can successfully break through into the internet provider market.

Telecoms spend millions per year lobbying and donating to politicians, and this is exactly why.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Chris Johnson, FinLuver, Shad and 2 others like this.
  13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Good analogy. But then, one of them will come along and offers a better deal (i.e. SWA baggage fly's for free), and that starts the process of compete or perish. I believe with the right regulations in place, the free market system will still yield the best product and value.

14. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Ideally yes, but it is next to impossible to break into the ISP space now with any sort of meaningful scale. Check what Google has ran into in Nashville. Millions in capex and next to nothing to show for it. They have essentially cancelled plans for any other cities to get their fiber.

15. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Not when you're choices are ultra limited due to no-compete deals between providers. How many companies can you get cable from? We get one choice, Comcast. My only real options for internet are Comcast and DSL (slow). So it's really only one choice. Tell me why they are going to offer a better deal when they know they are my only choice. It only looks like it's not a monopoly because a few neighborhoods over they only get Wave cable. So overall county usage has a split, but the customer doesn't actually have a choice.

Please tell me how there is any chance of the people getting a better product than what we have now? We currently have a single access fee to access 100% of the internet with no restrictions. How does giving the ISPs the power to limit our usage, and the websites we can use, ever lead to a better product for us? I'll tell you - it doesn't. The ONLY positive that comes from this change would be to the ISPs who will be lining their pockets.

Edit: "With the right regulations in place..." YES Excactly! That's exactly what is currently in place....Net Neutrality. Regulations to keep the internet an open and free market. 5 members of the FCC are voting on removing those regulations. 2 plan to vote to keep the regulations in place, and 3 plan to remove these regulations. The regulations are there to protect the consumer and small businesses.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017