Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Puget Sound

257K views 3K replies 240 participants last post by  speedbird49 
#1 ·
It is true.
The place sucks. Believe everything you've heard.
The ferry ride was expensive, no fish, traffic is bad, lots of people and the scenery is terrible.
Stay away for your own good......;)
SF

Cloud Sky Water Atmosphere Water resources

See less See more
#123 · (Edited)
I personally don’t think the air temps at this time of the year have much to effect on fishing, at least as far as searuns go. I’ve caught them when parts of the canal is iced over.
My two favorite months are November and December.
What did effect fishing yesterday was lack of water movement and nearly glass type water conditions.
The early morning high was too early, so it was still dark at the change and the wind didn’t kick in until around 2:00.
The wind chop makes them less spooky and also helps push or move the water.
We still managed about 15 cutts between us but had lots of nippy bites.
SF

#124 ·
I personally don't think the air temps at this time of the year have much to effect on fishing, at least as far as searuns go. I've caught them when parts of the canal is iced over.
My two favorite months are November and December.
What did effect fish yesterday was lack of water movement and nearly glass type water conditions.
The early morning high was too early, so it was still dark at the change and the wind didn't kick in until around 2:00.
We still managed about 15 cutts between us but had lots of nippy bites.
SF
Crazy. I guess it was just a matter of location. We saw a couple jumpers at our first beach (ss), then absolutely nothing at second beach (hc). Fished one beach this morning with driving snow i got about 10 casts in and called it.

Any patterns in particular work better than others for you?

#127 ·
Crazy. I guess it was just a matter of location. We saw a couple jumpers at our first beach (ss), then absolutely nothing at second beach (hc). Fished one beach this morning with driving snow i got about 10 casts in and called it.

Any patterns in particular work better than others for you?
I got skunked hard this Saturday, as did two other people I know who fished other locations. The weather has to have something to do with it, I just don't know how.

#129 ·
I really don't think it is the weather.....
If Saturday's weather caused the bite to be off, what type of weather would have caused it to be on?

No doubt weather plays some roll in fishing success, but I think things like tides, water movement, food sources, confidence, pattern selection, location etc play a larger roll.
It isn't like searuns are particularly picky at most times.
If you were fishing one of the popular spots that get pounded, that may explain it as well.
On our drive home, we saw multiple people in all the usual spots.
Some days the fish just win.
SF

#130 ·
Stonefish is right about the tides and water movement being the big factor. Saturday morning had a weak tidal flow. The cutts were scattered and the fishing was spotty. We had to fan out a lot of casts and march up and down the beach to find our fish. They seemed to be holding near the bottom in depressions taking it easy.

#131 ·
I did alright Saturday and I wasn't really even in a good spot. Low angle beach, not much structure, bad tide, no current. I figure the crappy weather (clouds and wind) was the only thing I had going.

#134 ·
I found fish today but no takes. So a couple questions..
do jumping fish = feeding fish?

Cast to the rise or in the direction the fish is maybe going.

In the evening when the water starts to calm like today is that a good time to use top water?
Just my opinion, but jumping fish = happy fish that will eat.
Unless I see bait spraying or leaping, I don't think they are feeding and I'm not really sure why they are jumping.
That being said, I've found those fish to be pretty easy to hook up on most occasions. Lead them with your cast the direction they are headed. If you don't hook up on the first cast, cast a few more times. Sometimes the second or third cast will connect.

Later this winter, you'll run into fish just dimpling on the surface much like trout in a lake taking bugs in the surface film. Rezzie coho will do this also.
Those fish are likely feeding on amphipods or euphausiids and can be quite picky.

Calm water will work for topwater but I prefer a bit of a chop whether fishing topwater or subsurface.
I tend to think glassy flat water makes them more cautious and spooky.
Hope this helps.
SF

#133 ·
I did alright this weekend as well. I had the same thought as @mtskibum16, the clouds and wind worked to my advantage compared to the weekend before. The rain also seemed to bring in more salmon. I also caught a couple nice SRC on chum patterns which made me think fishing for them would have been solid as well if I was intentionally targeting them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.