Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pump for float tube

12K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Matt Smith 
#1 ·
I am purchasing a float tube on line next week and was just wondering if there is a special air pump designed for float tubes or do i just purchase a normal every day pump? and if anybody has any good recommendations for a float tube $100 - $120 it would be appreciated as well. right now i am looking at something that comes with the fins, but am certainly open to suggestions.

#3 ·
I bought a WW Grigg Pond Tube from Outdoor Emporium for $100 this summer and love it. :thumb: It's very similar to the Fish Cat with the air seat. Real stable and floats high. I also bought a double action pump that will have the whole thing pumped up in less than five minutes. My .02 worth. I can send you a pic if you would like of this tube.
Mike

#4 ·
A double action foot pump works very well for a float tube, I bought my last one at GI Joes. I do have an electric pump I use for my pontoon boat it inflates the pontoons in less than a minute each and is a great time saver, but it was $120.00 and I don't think it is needed for a floot tube as they inflate pretty fast with the double foot pump. What every make of floot tube you get make sure you get a u boat and not a round tube.

#6 ·
Wonder pumps

Mike, Log on to nrsweb.com and check out their wonder pumps. Model number 1716 is 19'' high X 4'' dia. and will blow a float tube up very quickly. At $32.95 they are a great buy as they are completely rebuildable over time and are not to be confused with the many Taiwanese look-alikes. If you get one of these you can attach a dedicated fitting to the hose just for your boat and it will always be ready to go. I would suggest buying a stuff sack that the pump and hose will fit into and keeping your tupe patching materials in there as well. This will keep everything together and more importantly keep dirt away from the pump shaft. About once a year open the pump, clean the plunger and lightly lube the seal. You will never wear this pump out.

I second the motion on getting a u-type boat and get one with a lot of weight capacity even if you are not a weighty guy. I fish out of a Super Fat Cat normally and this spring I had to use my old Bucks Bag Mustang for one day-it felt like I was fishing out of a closet it was so tight!

Get some long fins as well, those little shorties will have you kicking your ass off and never getting anywhere. Happy shopping, Ive

#7 ·
Mike

First off why do you want a float tube. Why don't you invest in a pontoon boat for lakes. You sit higher and dryer. Of course they cost a little more. But you don't wear your legs out trying to kick yourself around,you just wear yourself out rowing the thing around. :rofl:

And as for that double action pump,you can get that at most outlets for under $20.00

Jim

#8 ·
Actually, if most tubes are made like most of the ones I had, you just orally inflate it. Now, if your asmatic, that could be a problem. But took almost no time for me to blow up (but I'm full of hot air anyways lol). If it does have one of those adapters, you'll find it hard to get a pump that'll fit on it anyways. Now, if you get one that has an actual tire innertube in it, any bicycle pump will work. My very first floattube had the bicycle pump adapter (since it had a tire innertube).

Am with Jim on this one. There are alot of good little pontoon boats out there in that price range. For lakes, don't need an expensive one. I know Caddis doesn't make them anymore, but know Waterskeeter and a few others do. Only about 7' long and sit you up out of the water. Plus, can use fins or oars (which oars are nice after a long day using your feet while casting).

#9 ·
Old man said:
First off why do you want a float tube. Why don't you invest in a pontoon boat for lakes. You sit higher and dryer. Of course they cost a little more. But you don't wear your legs out trying to kick yourself around,you just wear yourself out rowing the thing around. :rofl:

And as for that double action pump,you can get that at most outlets for under $20.00

Jim
I would love to have a pontoon boat and maybe someday will, but right now i am on a budget and unless they deflate i would have a hard time squeezing it into my car.

#10 ·
Mike, most of those cheaper pontoons will pack down quite nicely. I had a Pac 8 (not sure if Outcast still makes that model), I used to take it down and stow it in the trunk of my old Mercury Comet (bought it for commuting since my Blazer ate gas FAST). You have the ODC's that you can buy REALLY cheap. Think in your price range in fact. Also, look on ebay. They sell them there as well too (think there is a watermaster for only $100 and a day left on ebay too). But most of those boats are takedown frames. So unless you're on a bike, chances are it should (and say SHOULD) fit.

#11 ·
Mike,

Get the float tube. Don't listen to these pontooner fellows.

Float tubes are super maneuverable, and since you do all the work with your legs, your hands are always free to work your rod and line. This is a great advantage for being able to spend more time with your rod in the water.

Some pontoons are kickable, but don't seem to be as maneuverable.

I'd love to have a pontoon, to be honest, but only if I could still keep my tube!

(By the way, I have an old school donut of death that I've been using since the early 90's, and have no real complaints.)

#12 ·
Well i sure to appreciate all the input, i have been to each site recommended and a handful of others. pontoons would be nice considering i could do lakes and rivers, with me getting ready to move back to the states and set up a new place of residence, i couldn't find one that was in my price range. so i will probably get a pontoon style float tube and the boat later down the road, as soon as the future misses gets established in her new career and makes me some money. i think i will get the pump that iveofone recommended and some big a@# fins. thanks again.

#13 ·
Pontoons and float tubes are as different as trucks and cars.

Pontoons are bigger, heavier, MUCH more expensive, hold more gear, are faster on stillwater, keep your gonads up out of the water and can be used on rivers as well as lakes. Pontoons require more accessories for general use, like oars, a pump, and an anchor system. Some even have stand-up casting platforms.

Float tubes are smaller, lighter, more maneuverable, MUCH cheaper, can be inflated by mouth, deflated and rolled down to the size of a small sleeping bag and packed in to mountain lakes. All you need to operate a float tube is a pair of fins.

Picking one over the other is like picking a truck or a car. They each have their place and many people have both.

If you're a serious fisherman you'll eventually have both a pontoon and a float tube (or several in my case). If you're on a budget or don't just fish where there's a parking lot, start with a tube. If all you do is run rivers or fish where there'a short walk from your car to the water, get a pontoon.

As for pumps, Seyvlor makes both a double action T-handle one and a foot-operated bellows one. Both are great and each runs about $15-$20. One of my backpacking buddies found a little C-cell battery operated pump the size of a Walkman. It's kinda heavy but perfect after a two-hour hike with 30 pounds on your back.

Or you could save the dough and just use lung power. Takes me about 5 minutes to inflate any of my tubes by mouth.

My 3¢

K

#15 ·
I got the Grigg at Outdoor Empire and really like it. Wish I could remember the model number but its a "pointy" one. I like it much better than my u-shaped one as the point puts a lot of extra floatation where it's needed. It's got two bladders on top but I just inflate the bottom one and use the top for stowage if needed. It has a nice one way valve that I can just stick the hose into from my footpump for my inflatable boat. Much better and quicker than the "air mattress" type valve. I like the manueverability of a tube with both hands busy fishin'.

#16 ·
Mike,

Here's what I did.

1) Get a pontoon boat. Find out your car is too small for it.
2) Buy an F150 for the pontoon boat. Ah, much more roomy!
3) Figure out that you really wanted a float tube for the lakes.

TU makes a nice tube called the Gunnison for about $100. It hasn't killed me yet and I've caught some monster fish out of it.

Ultimately you will want to get a pontoon boat too, because rafting a river is FUN!

#17 ·
capmblade said:
Mike,

Here's what I did.

TU makes a nice tube called the Gunnison for about $100. It hasn't killed me yet and I've caught some monster fish out of it.

Ultimately you will want to get a pontoon boat too, because rafting a river is FUN!
Outstanding idea, now i could have an excuse to by a bigger vehicle, oh wait i am still on a budget. damn

#18 ·
I went to a dept store and paid like $11 for a double-action combo with a 1/2 inch or so blowhole for the boston valve (my tube has one) and three other attachments (basketball yes, bike no. I like to blow up the back and arm sections at home (night before is just fine), toss it in the car and just fill the big tube with the boston valve when I get to the water. Float tubes can be more work but I find it easier to sneak up on the fish than with the pontoon boat. I know it sounds illogical since there's so much more of you in the water. Maybe I just need more practice with the pontoons, but I don't forsee spending the money any time soon. It's nice to be mobile, no doubt about it.

#19 ·
Pumps for little float tubes - what a bunch of sissies! :beathead:

Just kidding...

But seriously - it takes me 1-2 minutes to blow up my float tube with my mouth (I have the gunnison noted above). I have a tiny car with a tiny trunk, but even still, I just deflate the tube about 3/4 and it fits fine. That way I have less to blow up when I get to the water. I guess I'm just old school or something ;)

#20 ·
TU Togiak

I use a pontoon style tube, TU Togiak. I love it. I keep it in the back of my car and use a double action pump to fill it. Total set up time 5 min. I have also packed it into the alpine lakes. EXCELLENT! Cause it toon style by butts out of the water which makes for warmer fishing. I got it for $99, great deal!
Thats my op for what it's worth.

#21 ·
capmblade said:
Mike,

Here's what I did.

Great logic progression except after you get your ford then you get a Drift Boat! Because You CAN!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.