Pump for float tube

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mike doughty, Oct 20, 2004.

1. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Home Page:
    Mike,

Here's what I did.

1) Get a pontoon boat. Find out your car is too small for it.
    2) Buy an F150 for the pontoon boat. Ah, much more roomy!
    3) Figure out that you really wanted a float tube for the lakes.

TU makes a nice tube called the Gunnison for about $100. It hasn't killed me yet and I've caught some monster fish out of it.

Ultimately you will want to get a pontoon boat too, because rafting a river is FUN!

2. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Home Page:
    Outstanding idea, now i could have an excuse to by a bigger vehicle, oh wait i am still on a budget. damn

3. calebsb

calebsb New Member

I went to a dept store and paid like $11 for a double-action combo with a 1/2 inch or so blowhole for the boston valve (my tube has one) and three other attachments (basketball yes, bike no. I like to blow up the back and arm sections at home (night before is just fine), toss it in the car and just fill the big tube with the boston valve when I get to the water. Float tubes can be more work but I find it easier to sneak up on the fish than with the pontoon boat. I know it sounds illogical since there's so much more of you in the water. Maybe I just need more practice with the pontoons, but I don't forsee spending the money any time soon. It's nice to be mobile, no doubt about it.

4. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Pumps for little float tubes - what a bunch of sissies! :beathead:

Just kidding...

But seriously - it takes me 1-2 minutes to blow up my float tube with my mouth (I have the gunnison noted above). I have a tiny car with a tiny trunk, but even still, I just deflate the tube about 3/4 and it fits fine. That way I have less to blow up when I get to the water. I guess I'm just old school or something ;)

5. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

TU Togiak

I use a pontoon style tube, TU Togiak. I love it. I keep it in the back of my car and use a double action pump to fill it. Total set up time 5 min. I have also packed it into the alpine lakes. EXCELLENT! Cause it toon style by butts out of the water which makes for warmer fishing. I got it for $99, great deal!
    Thats my op for what it's worth.

6. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Great logic progression except after you get your ford then you get a Drift Boat! Because You CAN!!