Pump for Pontoon Boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by sopuchan, Jun 29, 2006.

1. shawn k

shawn k Member

Key though is to keep your car running while you're pumping up. A good pump will drain your battery in minutes (I found that out first hand lol). But the 110volt models are even better (yet most of the really good electric pumps will run you $100+).[/QUOTE]

if you run your car with an lvm pump you will fry your pump and charging system.

2. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

if you run your car with an lvm pump you will fry your pump and charging system.[/QUOTE]

What do you think about this claim there Jerry?

3. gt

gt Active Member

always pays to read the enclosed directions! LVM clearly states, do not use with your engine running. in the short time it takes to do the inflation with an LVM, you would have to have a serious battery problem for it to go flat in the few minutes you are using it with the pump.

4. In_too_deep

In_too_deep Member

I have run the LVM for a week on three pontoon boats off a stand alone car battery (80 AH) without recharging. The boats were inflated every day, sometimes twice. The battery was fine after the week, over 25 inflates. If you drain the battery in minutes, something is wrong.

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Depends on the boats you're filling In Too Deep. I'm filling 16-18' catarafts, so takes more then a bit to fill. Not sure why you're filling your boats once to twice a day. Were you constantly ripping them down and transporting? Must not, since you weren't running your vehicle. Or are you running the cheaper boats made my outcast, creek company etc? Those boats are notorious for losing air (my whitewater boats will hold air for weeks without a refill, even my steelheader boats hold air longer then a day without having to refill, unless I have severe weather changes from hot to cold, and that's simply a density of air issue).

Onto the frying your battery part. Hmmmmm, almost 20 years of using them and no frying of my electronics yet (since these pumps are MADE for clamping to your battery). I've used them more then most on here will ever use them (since I used them a lot when I whitewatered professionally). We would inflate 4-6 fullsized inflatables (as in 16'+ catarafts and 14'+ rafts) and never burned up a vehicle (and one of the vehicles I still own and have used for this duty for almost 15 or so years, and still has ALL of it's original electronics (except battery, it died a year after it's life expectency) that I had in it when I bought the Blazer.

But, will add to what GT said, my original pumps didn't have any disclaimers with it (since I bought it around 20 years ago). In fact, it even specified to leave the truck running while using it. Maybe why it would actually FILL a tube full in a matter of minutes (and I'm not talking the little boats most of you guys are using, I'm talking big catarafts and rafts). It wasn't a high volume pump either, but know it would drain ANY battery fast. May have been the old style electronics in it. The pump did die about 3 years ago though, so used my backup pump to fill the boats since (Trevor on the board has it now). You could tell though with the pump that it would run better with the motor running (and yes, some electronics will run better if engine is running, not with the draw off the battery alone).

But will say again. I must be pleasantly blessed. I know I've been using inflatables much longer then most on this board, and more frequently. Have yet to have a problem with the pumps killing my vehicles (unless I can blame a blown ring and pinion on my LVM pump lol).

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Oh, wait a tic. A stand alone battery? As in not running a vehicle. Well, that's a different story. Takes a bit of amps to initially start a car. A stand alone can fill for quite awhile as long as you're not using it for any other needs. When I say kill a battery, i mean dropping amperage enough that it won't crank the engine. Sometimes that isn't much, depending on the battery you have in your vehicle.