Purdy area?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Flyfishsteel, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

You can also call the State patrol and report poachers as well. They came out and did some yelling. I did that to some kids at hoodsport that were climbing up into the hatchery and grabbing pinks a few years back.

2. nerevfan

nerevfan New Member

Teeg thanks for all you info @ Purdy aea the other day, you sure opened my eye's with you knowledge.
    Tight Loops:ray1:

3. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Anyone start fishing Minter yet for silvers or chum? Opened Nov 1st. Drove by today and saw 2 kids and thats it?

4. salt dog

salt dog card shark

I went by Minter to check it out last Sunday around 2pm, walked around the beach, water was calm, saw no signs of fish.

5. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Home Page:
    Minter usually doesn't get going real seriously until around Thanks Giving, but with the rain the chum should be showing pretty soon.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, thanksgiving you're hitting pretty good with chums in Minter. But, have seen it really pick up usually around second week of Nov (fished it first year it opened almost by myself). Key is to try fishing it near high tide (pretty finicky there watching tides). Literally is a mudbog at the mouth at lowtide. I know I have drooled over that little creek for almost 20 years delivering out there (being that it's been closed most of my UPS career out there). Have seen some beautiful silvers and kings come up there. I'm pretty glad they are shortening the season. When it was open in October, too many were hitting silvers coming in.

If you're close, go take a quick look. Fish should be showing up. Wish I was still delivering out there. Stuck inland Gig Harbor now. Spent MANY a lunchbreaks fishing Minter the last few years it's been open. Tide is the key. Hate fishing the low tide there, too many of the snaggers chasing the fish (gear AND flyfisherman). I highly doubt they'll be writing many tickets. They want the chum OUT of Minter. At least that's what was the plan last time I delivered out there (why the high retention on them, was 4 I do believe per day, haven't checked the current regs).

Just fish high tide. Most of the snaggers have a hard time targeting the fish since they can move. Just be respectful of the private property (almost all the fishable area is PRIVATE!!!!!!). Don't want another Chico.

7. willieboat

willieboat Member

Jerry,
    I swung by Minter Creek this past Wed. There were two guys fishing up near the hatchery. Nothing hooked. There were a couple of fish cruising under the bridge. No one fishing there yet. It was slack tide.

Don

8. King Wind Knot

King Wind Knot Rebel, Truth Seeker

There goes Teeg again, dripping with info everywhere he goes.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Well, spoke to a couple sources who fish Minter (haven't been out there). Sounds like the fisheries plan has kicked in pretty good. Run has been pretty small, only a few caught. So their plan to terminate the chum run is working. At this rate, river will probably reclose in a couple years.

May make a run out there though Thanksgiving weekend (I know, just as bad to fish there crowdwise as it is to go shopping at the mall LOL).

10. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Hey Jerry, orginally what was the purpose of that hatchery anyways if they are now planning on riding of the Chums? Are silvers,src and kings orginally from that hatchery or just out of coincidence? What is the future for Minter?

Thanks!

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    It's been a salmon hatchery (kings, silvers, and chums). Never really got into great details with Dennis about it. But was under the impression that chums weren't that high in demand. So only want silvers and kings returning (they have some beautiful fish coming up in late summer/early fall). Drooled for years at the bridge with some of the kings coming in. Don't believe any SRC's are penraised there.

But, they are only out to rid the creek of chums. I haven't delivered out there in awhile, so not sure what all the plans are now. Just know that they wanted the chums out back then (why the 4 fish limit).

12. cascade kid

cascade kid New Member

I spoke to a fellow who lives near me in Gig Harbor that says that with volunteer help the chum culturing at Minter has been extended. He said these fish are planted not only there but in neighboring streams for primarily commercial harvest of their roe (a practice that is awful in my opinion, regardless of where the fish come from).

This is sort of hearsay at this point I admit.

James

13. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Drove by on thanksgiving morning at minter to see about 50 people fishing. I parked along with the 30 other cars and took a look at the hatchery inlet. There were not as many chums as I expected. The sad thing to see was I counted over 10 fish with gear on there dorsal fin, tail, belly, or head. Sad to see what people do to try and get a fish. Those are the ones that got away. hauled ass back to the spit and hooked 3 SRC's and a chum and I was by myself.

14. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

I also fished the purdy spit on thanksgiving. Saw quite a few chum but could not get any to strike.